Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Greg Brooks replied (re: MOTBQ BBC version)

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attached is Greg's reply to my e-mail (my original one included).

Hi richard,

> Hi Greg,
>
> I know you're busy at the moment, but I have a question that's really
bugging
> not just me, but a whole bunch of people at Queenzone.
>
> The people at Queenzone wanted to resolve an issue/question that we're
arguing
> over, about the BBC version of "March Of The Black Queen".
>
> What's happening is that, the "Queen expert" himself, John S Stuart,
is saying
> that the BBC version of March Of The Black Queen is simply the Queen
II album
> version, faded out slightly.
>

I can't recall exactly, but I did listen to it at the time I wrote that
article. I think it was a mix using the backing track but with new
overdubs.
You can hear new guitar and percussion added.

It was not merely the lp version, but that¹s not far from the truth. It
was
the familiar backing track featuring new overdubs. I can't recall if
freddie
recorded new vocal but I'm sure he would have done.

I just had a quick listen to the attached (which you can now hear for
yourself) and it's the same 6 or 8 tracks of fm vocal as per the LP, so
anything freddie did add was very minimal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
(end e-mail)

Now, I don't want to try and discredit Mr. Stuart at all, but I think Greg could be right here.

He did indeed attach the BBC version as an MP3 in his e-mail (which surprised me a lot, as I didn't ask him for such a copy). It is definitely from the broadcast, as it has that old analogue tape hiss quality

While I don't have a copy of the Queen II album (I used to have a cassette years ago, but I don't have it anymore), the version Greg sent me certainly sounds a little different from what I remember of the Q2 version. I'm currently trying to find a copy of the original version on KaZaa Resurrection, to make an A:B comparison.

I WOULD share this MP3, but Greg didn't mention if I could share this or not, and I certainly don't want to do something and find out later I wasn't supposed to, so I'm not sure what I could do as to having others hear this and make comparisons for themselves.
I might request permission from him to upload an A:B comparison edit sample, but that's not on my list of priorities for the moment.

Just thought I'd post about this anyways :P

EDIT: I've now got a copy of the original version downloaded. Some bits do sound a bit different.
I'll do a further A:B report later this week. Not today though.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You don't own a copy of Queen II?

Is POkemon still that expensive?

Still, nice to see you downloading it illegally & admitting it. When the Mounties come to your door, please bear in mind that it wasn't me who narked...

Now, if it's NOT the album version, how come all BBC Session CDs WITH MOTBQ were removed from ebay for copyright infraction, but copies without were not?

Having said that, I will also check, as I'm sure Mr Stuart will.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is the same version!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a stand alone version - NO!

Does it end with the fade/intro to "Funny How Love Is" - Yes it does!!!

Is it exactly the same timing - Yes it is!!!!!

Why not post it for all to hear? After all you would not believe that mine was genuine. Now you have the chance to show to the whole world that it already exists in the hub.

The reason Greg let you have a copy - is because it was so well leaked. It is COMMON-PLACE!!
Think he would really pass something rare onto YOU?????????

So you CLAIM to have found ONE SOLITARY SINGULAR "oh" of a difference - but wait - that's from memory!!!!!!!!!!!! You even quote Greg as saying... "it's the SAME 6 or 8 tracks of fm vocal AS per the LP, so ANYTHING freddie did add was very minimal" - yes, so minimal in fact - that NO one has noticed!!!!

You don't even have an original CD copy to compare with.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=488995

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Remember this? YOU wrote...

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=1&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen+-+Serious+Discussio&TOPIC_SUBJECT=bbc77+-+spread+your+wings%2fit's+late&Q=479162&page=2

"OK, why don't you just UPLOAD the tape in question, then?"

I replied...

The FULL BBC Session in question IS in the hub. It has been uploaded MANY times. Many in here have downloaded the full session, and yet, when they hear the track, they are disapointed because they expected something different.

Put your money where your mouth is
Mister know-all
Was the fin on your back
Part of the deal? (Shark)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're very easily provoked John. What with posting those lyrics and the comments you made.

Is there somewhere, other than the hub, where I can have a listen to the BBC version?

Peace,
Adam.

P.S. Your link isn't working.

John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal: "Is there somewhere, other than the hub, where I can have a listen to the BBC version?"

Thanks to Dark's generosity, you can now find HIS uploaded version of the track at...

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not worth the trouble, John. To paraphrase Paul Simon (and I could've sworn I've quoted this before), "you know what you know".

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

You're very easily provoked John. What with posting those lyrics and the comments you made.

Is there somewhere, other than the hub, where I can have a listen to the BBC version?

Peace,
Adam.

It's none of my business, but you always not happy with anything what John writes!

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Getting old I reckon download from the hub WHY? New fangled technology lol - I've just listened to my tape from what I believe was the original broadcast Bob Harris says Queen as the tracks fading then I've cut him off. Apart from that perhaps some double tracking on "why do I follow you" but that could be tape dropout it really is showing its age. I think John is 100% (at worst 99.9%) right.

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas is right.

JSS IS an expert. Just take the FM box set (if you have it) and you'd find his name in the 'thanks to' section. Or take some Record Collector issues etc. etc. etc.

inu-liger

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

The reason Greg let you have a copy - is because it was so well leaked. It is COMMON-PLACE!!
Think he would really pass something rare onto YOU?????????

He has shared other bits and pieces, that very few people know, with me, which I like to keep to myself obviously (there I go being another show-off), so it's not impossible that perhaps he MIGHT share other things with me (of course, under certain conditions, obviously)

John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's your best come-back?

After months of arguing it IS THE SAME VERSION of "March Of The Black Queen", and the best you can come-back with is that "He has shared other bits and pieces".

Even AFTER you have especially (extra-carefully) listened so that you could haul me up on ANY minor variation between them - and still - that is the best you can come back with?

Hardly addresses the issue does it?
Stick to the point.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol JSS
he just wants ppl to know he emails JB and that he is a uber shit =)

MY GOD spell it write.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does Greg know that you're more concerned with painting yourself to be some kind of rarities expert, by merely downloading and leeching all the unofficial material that you can get your hands on, than actually being genuinely interested in and supportive of Queen by buying all their official albums Dark?

If Greg didn't explicitly tell you not to share the BBC MOTBQ file he sent you, he can have no qualms if you do. Just upload it (you can announce it on 5 separate threads if you like) and let us all judge for ourselves if there really is added percussion, guitars and vocals.

I truly would like to believe there is, and I have to admit, I don't rule out the possibility that SOMETHING is different about the BBC version, but I don't hold out much hope. What would be good though would be for you, Dark, to be the one to put an end to this whole debate by doing what you dared JSS to do and upload Greg's file for the whole Zone to make their own conclusions.

You have the power...

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Peace,
Adam.

It's none of my business, but you always not happy with anything what John writes!

You misinterpret what I've actually said. It's a mere observation. In fact, I'd go further and plead with him to not constantly edit his posts. I want to read the original thoughts of John S Stuart, rather than some selective and cut down post. It's such a shame.

Anyway, I think both Inu and John need to chill. I think they're both provoking each other so much. And you can see it's been getting nasty. Inu says bad things. John says bad things. Back and forth, back and forth. I just hope this kind of thing subsides.

Anyway, these are just my current thoughts. And yeah, it's a shame Inu gets so caught up in arguments, but those who provoke him intentionally, i.e. JSS saying "bum stormtrooper" or Penetration Guru, who'll say almost anything for a reaction - Your're fishing for something to be posted and you'll laugh and forget about it. But it'll still be there (unless you edit it!). I just don't think it's fair for people to be so one-sided with their finger pointing. The blame game lies on no one side...

Peace,
Adam.

inu-liger

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John, why don't you just e-mail Mr. Brooks yourself then, if you don't want to listen to me? I'm sure you and Greg would have a very interesting debate...

John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"John, why don't you just e-mail Mr. Brooks yourself then, if you don't want to listen to me? I'm sure you and Greg would have a very interesting debate..."

You completely miss the point (again!!!!).

I know all about the BBC version of "...Black Queen". I own it. I have shared it. Why do I need to talk to Greg? Do I not have two ears? It also means that those "readers" who have been reading this thread are cheated out of a conclusion!

John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's the problem isn't it?

You do NOT want people to hear this track for themselves, because you know all along that I am correct, and you just can not suffer to bring yourself to admit it.

Why don't you just answer one very plain and simple question?

1: After listening to "March Of The Black Queen": the "official" CD release and the "BBC version", they ARE BOTH THE SAME - True or false?

John S Stuart

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Upload your "March Of The Black Queen" BBC version.

Then EVERYONE will know. End of confusion. End of debate. Game, set and match to you.

What do you have to lose?

As for me... I still say "THEY ARE THE SAME". Prove me wrong.

inu-liger

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For one thing, I'm not on the HUB (or going to be on it) for a while (I'm still registered, but due to a DVD+R9 project I'm working on, space issues prevent me from having both all my working DVD files and min. 2GB of Queen files for the HUB on the same hard drive. I only have a 40GB HD, which I will probably need about 10-15GB of space for my files, if not more, since I will be multitracking seperate 6-channel wave files into Adobe Audition to create two new 5.1 DTS tracks alone for the movie I'm re-working).

I'll tell you what, Stuart. When I am FINISHED the project I am working on, I will re-load my Queen files from the DVD R's I saved them to, onto my HD, so that I can get back on the HUB, and when I do I will look for a copy of MOTBQ.

Though I'll give you one for sure; I've never seen any copies of the BBC MOTBQ MP3 on the HUB.

Right now though, my project takes much higher priorities than the matter of an MP3 at the moment. The MP3 will be 2nd on my list...