Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Robert Smith's Insulting "Opinion" of Queen

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the Cure alot...

I Love Queen!!!!

But I HATE that Robert Smith rags on Queen. During last summer's Cure comeback, in an interview Robert Smith did in Rolling Stone Magazine, he said "Don't even get me started on Queen. They're a comedy band". I could have kicked him right on the spot for that.

Now don't get me wrong. Everyone, and every music artist is entitled their opinion, own thoughts, to like or dislike another artist for creative reasons that are substantiated. But to just act like a jealous spiteful, child hurling unsubstantiated insults, is downtright ignorant.

Queen was NEVER a comedy band. And look who is talking. I love The Cure's songs "The Lovecats" and "Lullaby" but really, those songs are intended to be totally whimsical outrageous fantasy and "comedy".

And for a supposed Goth band, The Cure and Robert Smith's image are about as hilarious as it gets..really.

Queen of course had tongue in cheek humor, many artists do from The Beatles to Sting...but Queen are a rockin' genius band that are in about every music Hall of Fame there is, honored by Queen Elizabeth. Take that Robert!

xyz
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Smith is such an asshole for having an opinion. *yawn*

Victoria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

I HATE that Robert Smith rags on Queen.

Now don't get me wrong. Everyone, and every music artist is entitled their opinion, own thoughts, to like or dislike another artist for creative reasons that are substantiated.

>>>>> But to just act like a jealous spiteful, child hurling unsubstantiated insults, is downtright ignorant.<<<<<<<<

Take that Robert!

I sense a hypocrite.

Take that Arlene!

*honk* *honk* - Harpo

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PS - Who cares about Robert Smith anyhow? I'd never heard of him til you said something.

*honk* *honk* - Harpo
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's allowed to have an opinion, and we as Queen fans may not agree with it, but it's his liberty. Then again, it is ignorant to call them a comedy band, and that comment does make him sound slightly stupid.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gunpowder Gelatine wrote:

He's allowed to have an opinion, and we as Queen fans may not agree with it, but it's his liberty. Then again, it is ignorant to call them a comedy band, and that comment does make him sound slightly stupid.

Totally Agree Darlings!!!!

xyz

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander05 wrote:

Robert Smith is such an asshole for having an opinion. *yawn*

I cracked up at your reply, Right on the money!

Another Darling...I love My Darlings who Love Queen and who love Freddie.

I Love your website..Great Photos of Freddie, especially from The Magic Tour!

I sent you answers to the Freddie Quiz, I hope I Did ok! Oh well, it's the thought that counts, eh!

"If They Don't Get It, F**k Them darlings!!!!"

xyz
Zander05

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, my comment was pure criticism. Robert Smith can listen to G4's version of Bohemian Rhapsody and compliment it 24/7 for all I care. It's his opinion. Not everyone in the music industry has to like Queen. For example, I listen to a lot of classic rock, but it doesn't mean that I like Van Halen (I try to avoid them as often as possible). Oops. Uh oh. Careful! I just bashed on a band that millions of people like! Riots are going to start any minute now...

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good idea. Panama!

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Zander05

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I should rephrase. I don't HATE Van Halen, but I do find them overrated and David Lee Roth is annoying. And here in the states, A LOT of VH is played and it just gets annoying!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find it funny how Robert Smith says that Queen never did anything good when Queen has achieved way far more than The Cure.

Besides The Cure always lived under the shadow of Depeche Mode, and those guys truly knew how to make dark synthesized music. The Cure for the most part sucked, and only had like 3 good songs.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene-
Are you sure, as you are a "journalist" afterall, that you didn't just post this to fire everyone up??

Robert Smith sucks so much ass, that I think people would have respected a review from Uncle Jesse from "The Dukes of Hazzard" more than Robert "Friday, I'm in Love" Smith.

Maybe Robert Smith's work could be traded in for a gram of shit in England, but in the United States, The Cure's career is about as hot as Michael Jackson's right now....

Actually thats not true...Michael is still more popular, as where at least he is still a celeberty. Robert Smith could shop at my local WalMart right now, and people would just think he is some quief that would lick Fruit Loops off Barry Manilow's ass if given the chance.

Queen and Robert Smith shouldn't be in the same sentence.... Robert Smith better hope that even a "with it" 4 year old doesn't realize that he and Freddie Mercury both share the same occupation....when the 2 are compared side by side....is there even a comparison?

NO

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

... some quief that would lick Fruit Loops off Barry Manilow's ass if given the chance.

Hahahahahaha! XD

... I mean ... Ewwwww! :P

*honk* *honk* - Harpo
Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Uncle Jesse's interview would be damn short....he's dead!!!!

As for Robert Smith, time to change the image buddy. His Edward Scissorhands look or whatever it's supposed to be is the real comedy here! Some looks just don't stand the test of time.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it MAY have POSSIBLY been in the same interview, as it was from at least a year ago, but i remember a quote from Robert Smith saying something like "you'll never catch me running around [like Freddie] with make-up on".

yes, of course....

nino trovato user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An opinion is like an asshole... everyone has one and it sometimes is full of shit! So keep your big fat opinion to yourself Bobby!!!

felix ibex user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 88 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who Cares about Robert Smith..'Does He?
One can only tell by his Lipstick what he is all about....Comedy Act!

Soul Brother
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Caught him being interviewed on Jools Holland a while back & he came across as a tosser then, so.... jealousy usually brings out the worst in people.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Smith looks like the offspring of Edward Scissorhands and Star Jones.

Being a goth is about looking fragile, skinny, and just plain weird (which worked for Robert Smith back in the 80s) but when you have 3 chins and weigh are 250 lbs like Robert Smith today, it just doesn't work.

After all, Robert Smith and The Cure hit the fuckin' wall since 1992 the least. Queen's popularity (not counting The States) remained strong through most of their careers.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's entitled to his own opinion...

...but so are we!

My suggestion for all of you guys who happen to like songs from The Cure, but hate Robert Smith is simple:
Download all his songs illegally from the internet. I'm willing to e-mail people songs from The Cure as long as that keeps them away from buying their albums.