Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > about Jazz

forum rss feed
Author

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 05, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read Roger and John didn't like Jazz in an interview of '84. Roger said he didn't like it because of many various songs and John said he disliked it the worst so far. So, what do you think about that?

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Jazz, and I think it's way too underrated. Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race and Don't Stop Me Now are classics, and Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Jealousy and In Only Seven Days are great ballads. And Let Me Entertain You, If You Can't Beat Them and Dead On Time are awesome rockers. Even Mustapha has amazing guitars. I'm not in love with Fun It or More Of That Jazz, though. Not two of Roger's stronger songs, though I love hearing him reach those high notes on More Of That Jazz.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you read all Roger inteviews and listen to his commentaries on GVHI&II - it would be seems as he doesn't like 95% of Queen songs and albums :) He doesn't like Scandal, The Miracle (song), Hot Space, Jazz etc. etc. etc.

But anyway I'm not a fan of Jazz. It's like a compilation of very different songs.

Freddie-B user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-B
Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Jazz is the last great album they made, and the most technically perfect. There's a sheen and warmth to the song that was totally absent on NOTW, (on purpose, I know) and was sorely missed in my opinion. Also there's a lot of very interesting musical techniques, the key changes in Bicycle Race, the time signatures in In Only Seven Days and the perfection of Dead on Time, which is as good as the band have ever sounded if you ask me. Fun it is a brilliant song, and very cleverly uses Roger and Freddie, which works really well. The styles of song are wonderfully diverse as well, and they each write a brilliant song on the album, which isn't really the case very often for Queen, I think.

So all in all, it would be in my top 3, behind ANATO and MIH.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some interesting drum sounds on Jazz... panning the snare to one channel and the high-hat to the other giving the drums a more open sound.

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that the drum sound is a good point in this album ;)

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a fan of the drum sounds (especially the syn-drums on 'Fun It'), but there are some really great songs on this album. In fact, I like them all except 'Mustapha', 'Bicycle Race', 'Fun It', and 'More Of That Jazz'. Brian and John were really spot-on with their songwriting on this album, and Freddie's 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Jealousy', and even 'Let Me Entertain You' make up for his other two contributions. Poor Roger...

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think Jazz for me stands as a great album because it has some strong songs but particularly one of favorite songs, arguably my favourite - Dont stop me Now. Classic.

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The track listing is a bit odd, but Jazz is a really good album IMO.

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 05, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed its track list makes some people feel it's like a compilation album, but otoh, it's like a toy box. Once it's opened, many catchy numbers come out and seem to make people amazed like a jack-in-the-box. The line-up of some numbers beginning with Mustapha is brilliant. And Mustapha, Fat Bottomed Girls, If You Can't Beat Them, Let Me Entertain You, Dreamer's Ball and Don't Stop Me Now made live stages more lively. Besides the ones I mention above, I love Jealousy, Bicycle Race, and Dead On Time, too.
I think the fact Roger didn't like its track list is like him...

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 05, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant poster, whatever the music like.

Keep Good Company
nino trovato user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 05, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was music with that poster?

JohnC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 17 Mar 05, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a bad album, but a shit song like More of that Jazz.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people keep commenting on the druma dn how they don't like it

honestly, i hate the bass drum, but that snare drum is spot on. It's a Roy Thomas Baker thing. I like the way how it sound louder than it actually is, distorted almost...

For those like me, listen to Dirty White Boy by Foreigner, same drum sound, same producer

RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nino trovato wrote:

There was music with that poster?

Yeah, bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum titty bum bum bum ;)

Keep Good Company
nino trovato user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn, that poster cost me some sleepness nights when it first came out in 78. Possibly because I was 13 and I had it hanging right over my head above my bead. I once read that someone was looking for some of the girls in that poster to interview them for some sort of Queen article, documentary, book whatever. But I never heard anything since. I would personally like to thank any of them for making puberty HELL for me. LOL

Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe Jazz is an album with just 13 tracks. But I have to say that most of the tracks, which they played live, sounds better live. It is very fun to hear freddie doing things from "fun it" in the beginning of "Keep yourself alive" on the american '78 Jazz tour.
And the album is very technicaly great but it has probobly no album feeling as with MIH or ANATO or Queen 2.
And Rogers tracks is very strange on this album, so you must listen to them for a while before you like them.

John 3:16.....
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

actually i never liked roger's 'more of that jazz', i think it's queen's worst song (yes, worse than dilila) as for the rest of the album, it's great. always an underated album for me. 'mustapa' rules love freds vocals in that one, brians guitar is also great. 'dreamers ball' is perfect. 'fun it' is ok but is my second least favorite on the album. 'don't stop me now' is one of my all time favorites, 'entertain you' is rockin. i think roger mabe didn't like jazz as much because it was their least consistent album to that point. the first six lps were perfect. 'jazz' was not as even as their other 70's work, like SHA,NOTW,ANATO, ect. but still is great.

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see what they don't like about it, I LOVED IT!

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...
Peta user not visiting Queenzone.com
Peta
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 05, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don´t like album JAZZ too like Roger and John. QUEEN have got many better albums than this album. But I love Jealousy, In only seven days and Bicycle race. Other songs are weak.

04.10.08 - Hannover, 05.10.08 - Hamburg, 28.10.08 Budapest, 31.10.08 Prague, 1.11.08 Wien