Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Is this what we've been waiting for?

forum rss feed
Author

the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Mar 05, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok so all this hype. I've been waiting for years to finally see this happen and this is what we get? 4 songs with Paul Rodgers forgetting the words. I knew it was not gonna be Freddie but I am surprisingly quite disappointed. He even ruined the easy chorus to Tie your Mother Down! Is it too late to get Tony vincent or Robbie Williams????? Either that or memorize the words!!!!

seanyboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 05, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i knew that there would be mess ups at this gig. they have only had 1 month to reherse. i think brian and rodger will have words with him to refresh his mind. remember he has 1 month to learn the words to around 30/40 queen songs

miffomojen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 05, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope that Paul Rodgers proves me wrong on the upcoming tour, but... he seems to be a wee bit overrated. Just my 2 cents.

Flo Joe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 05, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope the will be in better shape when they play in Hamburg!!

King Freddie still rules
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 05, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie wasn't always word perfect.

Beware of unrealistic expectations.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought what I heard of the setlist was fine. It was only the lyrical muck-ups that I had a problem with (that, and the constant droning hum on the broadcast)

djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, the webcast was crap. Totally disappointing to reduce the main act from 15 songs to 4 when they had webcast the entire concert up to that point. What were they thinking?

But I think Rodgers was cool. It's a pity about the lyrics, but my guess is that he was really nervous. I thought his delivery was fine.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie also forgot lyrics. Just listen to the fast version of WWRY at Stockholm '78.

"Buddy you're a big man livin' in the street"

First time they played since Hall Of Fame, they need more practice

MissyMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it too late to get Tony vincent or Robbie Williams????? Either that or memorize the words!!!!

Oh What??!! Robbie??!! Jeez Noooo

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

Not the forgetting words that is the problem - it is the crap delivery.

I disagree. I personally thought he delivered the lines just fine. I am more interested than ever to see how this will turn out.

Shake it Sugaree
maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The delivey on tie your mother down - was out - forgetting the lyrics dosent help - i just hope Paul listens to how Freddie sang it live & to help his projection of the song - its a well known fact - Freddie changed "grousin & snipin" to "shouting & fighting going on" - because it flows far better when you sing it - when you go back to the chrous - because there's no silence

Anyway that aside lets hope Paul works at it & they only way is by doing the gigs

Lets remember Paul, is stepping into the shoes - of the greatest frontman, live singer in rock'n'roll history - it was never gonna be easy

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can hardly imagine Freddie who's reading lyrics from displays and forget them just after it. If Paul's too much nervous, if he forgets lyrics - how he could be a rock-star and frontman for so many years?!

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He sang his own songs for 30 years, now he has to learn 30 songs in less than 1 month time.

I think Paul did a great job

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 20 Mar 05, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

He sang his own songs for 30 years, now he has to learn 30 songs in less than 1 month time.

That's his job actually.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie forgot lyrics on many occasions. Making a fus about it is just another proof that many Queen fans are unfortunately thick. Really thick.

jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't think they're too happy with that performance...but give them time...by brixton i hope everything will be glued together.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

fatbottomed person user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thought it sounded good, liked it an am excited about the tour. so they made some mistakes..at least they know now and can work on those bits before the tour proper.

The Stealer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's remember here Paul is not stepping into Freddies shoes, replacing Fred, etc. Brian, Roger, and Paul have all said that.

If you expect Paul to replicate Fred's delivery...well you are going to be disappointed. Paul has said, as well as Brian many times that he is going to deliver/sing the songs in his own way and be himself. That might be why Brian and Roger wanted to do this tour and like Paul because they WANT a thier music delivered in a slightly different way and they want to take it to a different level. They don't want to be a Queen tribute band in full costumes, light shows, etc. For me- I don't want to see a Queen tribute band, I want to see the boys and hear some great music. Again I have said this before-have an open mind. We may not get the opportunity ever again to see Brian and Roger play together in a full show after this tour...and quite frankly it took a lot of guts on Paul's part to take this project on!! He needs our support and respect, not criticism.

We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

Not the forgetting words that is the problem - it is the crap delivery.

I agree. Forgetting the words and skipping lines is all part and parcel of live shows..that's the difference between recording and touring. The biggest problem with this tour is the delivery and interpretation of the songs by Paul. This tour expectations are way too high in my opinion...people who are going to more that one show may feel that after being disappointed at their first show may decide to sell their remaining tickets. I know I'd feel that way!!

A review of the Fancourt show says that he thought there was friction between Paul & Brian and that he was more comfortable singing Bad Company songs. Apparantly Roger looked knackered after 3 songs but managed to finish the 80 minute set!! Too their credit, they're finding their feet and things will get better but they only have a week to do it!

If reviews and personal opinions about this tour are bad this could end up as being a gamble which backfired spectacularly well. Ask yourself this question after Brixton...after tonight's performance would you gladly go and see them again or are you more than happy to have seen them on this overhyped tour!!

I've always had an open mind about this tour and have told people to expect good rock'n'roll. That goes without question but the real problem is with fans conception of what they expect and how they deliver on the night. I'm just content to see one show on this tour. As they say the only opinion that matters is your individual one so you have to attend to really form an opinion.

Paul is in a no win situation I guess, being compared to Freddie by some people and forgetting lines and changing arrangements of songs to suit his style. My final judgement of this tour will remain "wait and see how it develops".

One final point, Queen have done what in their minds is a cadinal sin....the use of backing tapes(with the exception of Bo Rhap!).They apparently used these for Fat Bottomed Girls and Radio Ga Ga. What the **** is going on here!!

I'm looking forward to reading reviews after Brixton. Should be interesting to say the least!!

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

Freddie forgot lyrics on many occasions. Making a fus about it is just another proof that many Queen fans are unfortunately thick. Really thick.

Freddie played with Queen over 700 concerts and forgot lyrics on some of them, Paul played just one and forgot either. Freddie performed over 25 tracks at each show and forgot just a couple of the words. And he didn't read them from displays. That's the difference. That's not a perfectionsts' way. There's no problem that Paul forgot them and I'm not making fuss about this. Good luck to Paul and Brian, Roger on their tour.

PS: Only one proof of that Queen fans are thick - is their habit to blame others' opinions.