Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Oakland 78 Query

forum rss feed
Author

Over My Head user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wondering if anyone could help me out here. My copy of the 1978 Oakland show (which is damn fine) has a horrible trebley hiss. This is normally the sort of problems I'd expect with a poor mp3 compression but it only appears when Roger is hitting some of his cymbals so I was wondering if it was a recording problem? Do all copies have this hiss? Or have I been limbered with a lousy mp3 version?

Thanks fro any help

Posted: 21 Mar 05, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apologies for typos above (hits head against brick wall). How do I edit posts?

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18631 posts

Posted: 27 Mar 05, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dracula wrote:

Oakland 78' is featured on the opera omnia bootleg CD set - the bits of the show featured on my copy aren't hissey - although there is a loud banging noise during some tracks - as I understand it the bootleggers tape machine picked up someone thumping the stage in appreciation .

Hmm, are you sure this isn't Montreal 78?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18631 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Over My Head wrote:

Just wondering if anyone could help me out here. My copy of the 1978 Oakland show (which is damn fine) has a horrible trebley hiss. This is normally the sort of problems I'd expect with a poor mp3 compression but it only appears when Roger is hitting some of his cymbals so I was wondering if it was a recording problem? Do all copies have this hiss? Or have I been limbered with a lousy mp3 version?

Thanks fro any help

Whoops, I forgot to reply to the original question! Yeah, I think that's the best it's going to sound... the problems you mention are probably from the source tape.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cheers guys, I was about to trade with this so wanted to make sure I had a decent copy. It is a great show, one of my favourites from that tour (of the 3 I have anyway, can't exactly claim to be an expert!)

Thanks again

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah definitely. I'm always up for a trade! If you post your list then we'll sort something out.

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you have any of these shows (in non-mp3 form)?

01/04/75 - Budokan
Either Zoom 76 show
Copenhagen 77
04/12/79 - Newcastle
13/02/81 - Tokyo
Either Vienna 82 show
The excellent version of Leeds 82
02/09/84 Birmingham

These are the ones I'm particuarly looking for, but there's a lot of stuff on that list you posted that looks great (puts my list to shame!)
I reckon we should switch to e-mail though so contact me on greggills@yahoo.com and we'll sort something out.