Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Breakthrough

forum rss feed
Author

Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know what was the inspiration behind the song "Breakthrough"?

Thanks

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right, but the original poster wanted to know about the song, not the video.

I'd say the song is about a couple on the verge of a split, perhaps due to a lack of communication, and that if the main character of the song "could only make [her] smile", then "that would really be a breakthru." So, it's almost as if he knows the relationship is going to end, hence the opening "When love breaks up" sequence.

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Right, but the original poster wanted to know about the song, not the video.

I'd say the song is about a couple on the verge of a split, perhaps due to a lack of communication, and that if the main character of the song "could only make [her] smile", then "that would really be a breakthru." So, it's almost as if he knows the relationship is going to end, hence the opening "When love breaks up" sequence.

That coincides with Roger's personal life at that moment, being split from Dominique. Because it's Roger's song.

Live life to the full!
Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree. I don't think a relationship exists between these two people, just that the singer wants there to be. The song is about his frustration (perhaps that is too strong a word, or the wrong word altogether) in trying to reach the other. That's my take on it, anyway. The lyrics are vague enough that you can pretty much take it anyway you want.

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, that's true, but for some reason I don't see Roger getting too worked up over not being able to communicate with Dominique - he was the one who split it off because he found someone else - but that still makes sense.

EDIT: Farlander, that's another good theory - maybe then it was written about Debbie and how he wanted to get closer to her? Hmm, never thought of it that way.

Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks guys! The great thing about songs is that you can interpret them the way you feel most appropriate. As for me, I see a boy very much fascinated with a girl (or vice versa) who isn't self-confident enough to realize she is liked and likable...

How do we know it's a Roger song?

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

EDIT: Farlander, that's another good theory - maybe then it was written about Debbie and how he wanted to get closer to her? Hmm, never thought of it that way.

In that case, perhaps the first line about love breaking up refers to Dominique, and the next lines about the dawn light waking up and a new life being born (and then the rest of the song) refer to Debbie. That might be reading too much into it, however.

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger said that on the GVH2 commentary, or maybe it was Brian. And wasn't it also mentioned in a 1989 interview?

The first part comes from 'A New Life Is Born', which was a Freddie song, while the main body of the song is Roger's.

EDIT: actually Farlander, I was going to write something similar to that too! Great minds do think alike.

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I guess it doesn't make much sense if the first part of that was from a Freddie song, which I forgot about. But, hey, maybe Roger figured it fit anyway.

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 05, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, Freddie himself said it in an interview that the "When love breaks up" intro was a "snippet" of a song that he started and he said he thought it was quite good and he didn't want it to go amiss, and he said "We'll just put it in front of that one, put it in front of Breakthru."

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 05, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well he sure got close to her. He even shot a video about it. Hahahaha.

I wonder if he wrote a song about that?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
DoctorNine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 05, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know if someone covered it? When I heard it for the first time, it seemed like I had heard it before, just not by Queen.

"What has it cost you? What have you won? The sins of the fathers are the sins of the sons; it was always within you, it will always continue, and it shouldn't surprise you at all." ~B. Joel
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 05, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about breaking through to the nect stage of a relationship. Basically what Lester said.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
RainMustFall2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 05, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kaletzibar wrote:

Does anyone know if someone covered it? When I heard it for the first time, it seemed like I had heard it before, just not by Queen.

Boys of Summer sounds similar to the chorus in Breakthru.

DoctorNine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 05, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RainMustFall2 wrote:

Kaletzibar wrote:

Boys of Summer sounds similar to the chorus in Breakthru.

It does, doesn't it?

"What has it cost you? What have you won? The sins of the fathers are the sins of the sons; it was always within you, it will always continue, and it shouldn't surprise you at all." ~B. Joel
GregM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know if the entire Freddie song ("A New Life Is Born") that the beginning snippet was taken from was recorded? That would make one hell of a special track on the special remastered edition.

And I agree -- both the song and the video are incredible. I've listened to it MANY times when I'm down in the dumps, and it picks me right up.

Greg

Tiger user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have an unfinished demo of a New Life Is Born (I think many of you have it as well) It's beautiful.....but I don't think the song was ever finished. although most lyrics are missing this demo already sounds fab!

Tiger