Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > HUGE Revelation BY Brian On Why Queen's Career Was Damaged In USA

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In this quote below from Brian's website today that is excerpted from the Mojo/Q Queen Special Edition, Brian says that one of the MAIN factors that damaged Queen's image and relationship with the USA....was something that until NOW, I have NEVER, ever heard before...

Brian says that Freddie had a Personal Manager (who Brian does not name), that in trying to be protective of Freddie, instead came off as brusk and nasty, and this Personal Manager blew off the entire USA Radio Industry People who HAD been supportive of Queen. So the USA Radio Industry People/network of support then felt offended and ticked off at this Manager's lousy attitude problem, so USA Radio's relationship with Queen was irrevocably eroded and USA Radio dropped all support and promotion for Queen, and discontinued/stopped serving as a positive outreach and outlet for getting Queen's music and image out to the USA public.

This is an ENTIRELY new one on me, and a HUGE NEW revelation as to why Queen's career in the USA took such a beating, their records stopped being played here, they stopped touring here...

Brian I'm sure is not naming names to keep from ruffling feathers of whomever he is referring to.

I know Freddie was embarking on his solo career at that time, so it makes sense that he would have had a Personal Manager to secure Freddie's solo record deal with Columbia Records. Or maybe it was someone in Freddie's inner circle.

Is Brian referring to Peter Freestone, someone else, anybody know for certain?

Here's Brian's quote:

"There were also other things. I think America very much depends on the network of people who care about music, and a lot of that is the radio stations. Radio stations are the connection between the artist and the community, and rightly so. Freddie had a personal manager at the time who was very dismissive. And OK, Freddie needed a bit of protection, it was hard for him at that time. But I think this guy… well, I know for a fact this guy went around saying, No, Freddie doesn't want to talk to you. Why should he want to talk to you anyway? And an enormous amount of damage was done to our relationship with the radio networks, who up to that point had been very close to us, very helpful."

xyz
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Phoebe was a personal assistant, not Freddie's manager. I highly doubt it was him that Brian was referring to.

Still, I always said there were more reasons why Queen "lost America than just a video. Brian had stated before that the band had issues with Capitol. I wonder if this is what he meant, or if there were other problems.

DJ's the man we love the most
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say it was Paul Prenter.

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can never keep Freddie's entourage straight

(I made a pun, ha)

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Phoebe was a personal assistant, not Freddie's manager. I highly doubt it was him that Brian was referring to.

Still, I always said there were more reasons why Queen "lost America than just a video. Brian had stated before that the band had issues with Capitol. I wonder if this is what he meant, or if there were other problems.

No, this is a WHOLE NEW and different thing Brian is referring to about the damage caused by Freddie's Personal Manager...because right before Brian lets loose with this, here's the beginning of Brian's quote about one of the other damaging factors, which is the "issues" with Capitol Records you are referring to.

Brian quote:

"Plus our record company got themselves into a heap of trouble. We had spent a million dollars getting out of our deal with Warner-Elektra to get onto the Capitol label. And Capitol got themselves into trouble with a dispute that raged in the early '80s over the alleged corruption of independent record promoters in the US.

It was, basically, the ring of bribery that went on to get records played on US radio. There was a government enquiry into it, and everybody shut down very, very fast. Without going into it too deeply, Capitol got rid of all their "independent" guys - and the reprisals from the whole network were aimed directly at all the artists who had records out at that time. We had Radio Ga Ga, which I think was Top 20 and rising, but the week after that it disappeared from the charts. So that was an influence as well. We got caught up in all that due to no fault of our own."

xyz

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester...WHO is Paul Prenter?

xyz

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, that was what I was referring to. Didn't read your original post as clearly as I should have.

"Who is Paul Prenter"

Very tabloidesque, but serveral relative links:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=freddie+paul+prenter&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Prenter was Freddie's personal manager until 1984, I believe. I'm not entirely sure of his entire relationship, or when he started, but Prenter looked down very dismissively on everyone except Freddie. I believe he died of AIDS a few months before Freddie did.

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From now on I will take back what I said about why did Queen give up on the USA.

I had NO idea about all of this. Now if you read the other excerpts from Brian's interview (they are on parts 4 & 5 on his website), he does discuss the public "outrage" at "I Want To Break Free" over Queen dressing in drag...but that I always thought was a small hurdle.

I NEVER knew about these New revelations Brian discusses, which I think he SHOULD have discussed years earlier...then I and I would think most of Queen's USA fans and fans worldwide...would have COMPLETELY understood that they did NOT give up on the USA at all.

A dominoe effect of major damage was done to them through the events caused by Freddie's Personal Manager destroying Queen's valuable and good relationship with USA Radio Industry People, and the payola legal & scandal repercussions with Capitol Records also damaged their relationship with the record and radio industry.

I'm still shaking my head. Maybe Brian didn't feel at liberty to discuss these issues until now...but I feel if he had...it actually would have been-----Damage Control...good PR, and it would have created understanding and sympathy from the fans and maybe Queen could have recovered.

At the very least, the issues I had about this just went out the door. All I can say is now that I have all of or at least some of the facts, I misjudged Queen....and I apologize. Queen did NOT turn their backs on the USA, they got caught up in a literal crossfire of storm after storm.

xyz

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting that this comes out while a new tour is in the planning stages. Sounds like an effort to show that Queen didn't purposely ignore the States, but was shafted by other circumstances.

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, its Paul Prenter.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Interesting that this comes out while a new tour is in the planning stages. Sounds like an effort to show that Queen didn't purposely ignore the States, but was shafted by other circumstances.

Zeni...now you've got me ....as Monty Python would say...so confused. Now that I think about what YOU just said...is what Brian revealing now FACT and damage control..NOW..to as you say prepare for a USA tour and to let us USA fans know that there were indeed damaging circumstances to Queen in the USA in the 1980's beyond Queen's control or...is this just a SPIN Doctor job that this gullible, sentimental lady fell for.

I don't know who or what to believe now...

Oh hell...I ain't naive...but I have a HUGE heart...so I'll go with Brian's New revelations and hope that's as Paul Harvey used to say..."the rest of the story".

xyz

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a link to a website that lists tons of Queen business people, scroll down and click on Paul Prenter. Says he worked for Queen (Freddie) 1977-1986.

Lester you are right, Paul died 1991.

http://www.meddows.com/info/qc_index.htm

xyz
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't Paul Pretner the same guy who backstabbed Freddie by telling British tabloids that Freddie did have AIDS (or he possibly did). As far as I'm concerned Paul Pretner made those revelations because him, Freddie, among other gay guys who used to hang out frequently in the early 80s were finding out that they were carrying the HIV virus, and some others already had AIDS.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can think of a better reason, words... Hot Space! Oh what the hell, might as well include
Flash Gordon and the video for "I Want To Break Free".

egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no doubt some truth in what Brian says, lots of exacerbated situations.

All the same, I never read anything implying that Freddie Mercury was a featherheaded befuddled lamb deferring to his managers -- it always sounded like he (with perhaps some assistance from Mary Austin) kept an eye on his money and career issues, no matter how personally fragile he may have felt. (Especially after learning their lesson during that big falling out with a manager in the early years of their career? I thought Queen were noted for their shrewd management generally.)

Also, radio stations and performance venues make money when popular bands tour, so it would not be in radio's interest to blacklist a band on the basis of a rude band employee. Perhaps they would if they felt insufficiently grafted, who knows. Surely people in radio also subscribe to the thought that "it's not show friends, it's show business" and have thick enough skins to face down rude managers.

The IWTBF video definitely hurt them, feeding as it did into a generally "gayer" profile for the band (because imagewise, Freddie was the face of the band for most people). It does seem ridiculous now, but those were the Reagan years, when American preachers were exhorting their redneck flocks to make bonfires of their satanic-masked, backward-tracked rock albums.

Again, not questioning what Brian said, just suggesting multiple factors at play.
--Egret

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Try explaining the popularity of the Culture Club over here then. I can't imagine anyone who saw those videos instantly thought Boy George had a girlfriend or a wife.

Posted: 28 Mar 05, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

Now that I think about what YOU just said...is what Brian revealing now FACT and damage control..NOW..to as you say prepare for a USA tour and to let us USA fans know that there were indeed damaging circumstances to Queen in the USA in the 1980's beyond Queen's control or...

That's what I think, personally. But then, he would have to change his rhetoric somewhat regardless. You can't expect a tour to sell that well when you blame potential ticket buyers for past sins.

Lester Burnham wrote:

Try explaining the popularity of the Culture Club over here then. I can't imagine anyone who saw those videos instantly thought Boy George had a girlfriend or a wife.

Gotta to agree with my Quaker friend here.

egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Culture Club appealed to a different demographic than Queen's hard rock stadium-filling fanbase. And even though Boy George is a GREAT, GREAT singer.... his American popularity was based on a handful of hit singles. Hard to compare his situation to that of decades of Queen world domination.

--Egret

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

egret wrote:

Culture Club appealed to a different demographic than Queen's hard rock stadium-filling fanbase.

Yeah, but in America, Queen was never the "stadium-filling" band.

For Culture Club or those other bands that you mention to have any success in the 1980s, they had to appeal to a wide audience. Culture Club was pretty mainstream, and that meant the general public took a liking to them.

And while we all know that Queen appealed to the hard rocker, remember that their biggest selling single in the US was due to its crossover appeal with the R&B stations.