Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Paul Prenter-Freddie's Betrayer, Devils' Spawn!

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard---All Queen Zoners,--

Please I want to let you know that this is not a repeat about my topic of Brian's "Huge Revelation". I want you queenzoners to continue to discuss Brian's comment and your --
--other thoughts about what he said on THAT topic.

This is to specifically discuss and address Paul Prenter.

Here's more insight into this jackass. Here's an excerpt from "Mercury And Me" Jim Hutton's Book, how Paul literally betrayed Freddie's illness to the public and to the tabloids...for money.

After you read this, I want to discuss WHY on earth Freddie befriended and employed this idiot for 9 years from 1977-1986 as Freddie's Personal Manager.

Excerpt Below as told by Jim Hutton:

"On May 4, Freddie was devastated by another story about him in the Sun. And so was I. His old friend, Paul Prenter had stitched him up. Aids Kills Freddie's Two Lovers, it declared, and the story was run across three pages. Tony Bastin, from Brighton, and John Murphy, an airline steward, had died from the disease in 1986. And Prenter claimed that Freddie had called him late one night and poured out his fears about Aids.

The feature also named me as his lover. My immediate thoughts were of what my family back home in Ireland would make of it. I was due back for a visit, and if word was out that I was the lover of someone so famous they would certainly be disappointed to hear it third-hand from the press. It was something I'd have preferred to tell them in my own time.

We later learned that Prenter had been paid about £32,000 by the paper for his story. Freddie never spoke to him again. For the next few days there was more in the Sun, and at each episode of Prenter's story Freddie became angrier. Prenter sold the paper several photographs of Freddie with various lovers and these were thrown over two pages under the heading All The Queen's Men.

A few times after the Sun sell-out, Prenter rang Garden Lodge, but Freddie wouldn't speak to him. Prenter tried to excuse his appalling behaviour by saying that the press had been hounding him for so many weeks he'd finally cracked under the pressure. Freddie didn't want to know Prenter's excuses; he felt unforgivably let down.

---The saddest thing about the Prenter episode was that it crushed Freddie's ability to trust others, except for a select few. He made no new friends after that.---

I often felt sorry for Freddie. For all he had - the money and the success - he couldn't walk down a street or go shopping without being stared at, a pet hate of his.

Feeling bruised by Prenter and the Sun., Freddie decided that he needed to get well away from them both and we flew to Ibiza for a weeks holiday."

xyz
*3*Playful as a pussycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

omg! poor Freddie! *scoffs* that fool! how dare he do that to Freddie! how could he??? it's just sick, twisted and wrong! is he still alive, 'cause if he is, im gunna kill that little bastard!

Freddie Mercury is my sexi moon lobster

"Mis francais est la meme que before. C'est un peu crap"-Brian May

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear!" -Freddie Mercury

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He died in 1991 I think right before Freddie.

xyz
freddie4ever92 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe he actually tried to contact Freddie afterwards and give him excuses, like the press were hounding him, pfffft, the press were probably hounding Jim, Mary and Peter (Freestone) but they didn't go running off selling stories to the press did they ? NO because they were real friends to Freddie. Such an asshole. V. right Arlene devils spawn. Couldn't think of a better word myself.

supernova190188 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wasn't this the same man that told Freddie he had been mugged and lost £2,000, so Freddie out of his kindness gave him the money he had supposedly lost, but had just made the story up? so he was conning freddie out of £2,000

We love you Freddie, R.I.P
XcessQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 381 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 05, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My suggestion is - let's not mention Paul Prenter again, because he's not worthy to be "the star" of Queen's forum.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He got what he deserved.
Anyway, who's lower? Prenter for selling the story or the Sun for buying it?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Prenter

King_of_Queens user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In which year those articles in the Sun were published??

"I don't have no time for no monkey business..."

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

about 88-89

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bear in mind that Jim is telling this from "his" side of the fence and that Paul was a *LONG TIME* lover of Freddie's before Jim was ever on the scene.

1 - We don't know what Freddie was like to deal with. Especially in that situation and so intimately. For al we know, Freddie may have been a complete pain in the arse (no pun intended) and treated Paul extremely badly in terms of infideity. Perhaps that's the reason Paul ended up spilling the beans.

2 - Jim may have believed that Freddie didn't ever really get over the break up with Paul.

3 - Freddie may have used his relationship with Paul as a bargaining tool in arguements with Jim - ie "Paul didn't have a go at me like that" etc etc.

Don't be so quick to have a go at people that have said things about Freddie that you don't like, just because he's "your favourite".

I know all too well that people you hold as heroes have sides to them that you have absolutely no idea about and, when you do find out about them, it changes your perception of your hero for ever.

Benn
King_of_Queens user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right on Benn...

And that's why I would rather not know... :)

"I don't have no time for no monkey business..."

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

Bear in mind that Jim is telling this from "his" side of the fence and that Paul was a *LONG TIME* lover of Freddie's before Jim was ever on the scene.

I knew Paul was Freddie's Personal Manager from 1977-1986 and that was ALL. Just trying to find out more about this guy. Might also explain Paul telling all to the tabloids if Paul felt he was the "spurned" lover.

I never heard Paul was also Freddie's lover. Are you certain? Where did you hear or read that?

xyz
bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

still, he's going a bit far even if he was a spurned lover! its no defence

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigc wrote:

still, he's going a bit far even if he was a spurned lover! its no defence

Of course it's no defense. In fact it's totally unacceptable and unforgivable behavior, as well as cruel and ignorant behavior. I was just trying to find an explanation (even if it is a stupid one) for Paul's idiotic acts.

But again I had only heard that Paul was a business employee..the Personal Manager of Fred's, so I was wondering how anyone heard that Paul was Freddie's lover.

xyz
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragonzflame wrote:

He got what he deserved.

i can't believe ANYONE would make such an extremely bizarre, snidey, offensive and bitter comment as that!!!!

....and i would hate to see what way you think people should die for say - burglarly or car theft - because they are bigger crimes than what this sad creature committed.

how can ANYONE deserve to die in this manner? as this is a queen forum, the whole AIDs thing might reasonably expect people (in QZ) to show a little understanding and tolerance -

you have made one very sick comment
wash your mouth out with soap and water

go deo na h√Čireann
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was their private affair.

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to quote this song that I heard on the radio this morning: "Those who can be trusted can change their minds." Everyone and everything can be bought if the buyer is willing to pay. Everyone has a price, and it looks like Paul Prenter's was 32,000 quid - an embarrassingly low one.

Yes, he was a prick, but I have to feel a bit for the guy. Anyone can make a mistake - and he made a large number of them. Aside from everything else, he died of AIDS a few months before Freddie did. I'm not going to speculate that one of them gave it to the other. I don't need to. It's already been done.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

damn...*puts away plans for his desmise* ^.^

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Playful as a pussycat wrote:

arlene wrote:

damn...*puts away plans for his desmise* ^.^

eh...I'm only joking...it is indeed sad that he also died of AIDs. poor guy...still, he had no reason to do that to Freddie