Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Dillion Red Special copies - worth getting?

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would anyone in here who has a Dillion brand copy of Brian's Red Special say that it's a good brand to buy (cheap)?

Ms. Bea Haven user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard that they're crap - in fact, crap might be better.

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 05, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apart from the missing rear binding and cheaper hardware the look extreamly similar to the Burns model, I wouldnt be suprised if they are coming from the same factory.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
DeaconJohn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 253 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How much cheaper are they than the burns model?

The one and only DeaconJohn - As seen on page 81 of the Q Magazine Queen special.
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a Dillion dealer in my store for about 15 months from 2003-2004.

I had 3 Brian May Dillion models, all in the "red special" color.

One came with bent frets, so I returned it for another.

They are very, very...VERY cheap made in Korea guitars. They are nothing like the real deal (A GUILD) ....

At my cost, I needed to sell these for $469.95 US dollar to make a profit....

They sat in my store for 8 months, while other guitar flew in and out the door.

My cost was $266.00 each on them.
I sold one for $299 + tax.
I sold one for $299 out the door.

I gave one to a musician friend for helping me set up a PA system at a concert hall....and he no says..."That may be the worst playing guitar I've ever had in my hands, I prefer China made Fender Squier's to that".

So...you can guess what I think of the ever so junk Dillion Brian May's.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
The Fonz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seriously? It's the name Brian's guitar is mostly known by.

Dave Mack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The body of the gtr. is nice, solid mahogany, neck seems good too. Pickups are cheap, not trisonic, tuners are cheap...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aren't there two copies and only one is supposed to be decent? I've read about that somewhere. They were both reviewed and one came off as worth it. While the other was bad.

Peace,
Adam.

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jonny Knoxville on here has one so I am suprised he has'nt responded to this, it was him who mentioned about the 2 different versions, the DBM-1 and the VBM-1, one good one crap, however I am sure the DBM is the Guitar and the VBM is the Bass which I imagine would be crap if you were trying to play Brighton Rock on it.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
BHM1775 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 126 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never read a good review of the Dillon yet .... Go for the Burns, and if you can't go for a Vox Amp and all the Kit, try a Zoom 707II you'll get almost any sound you need .....

Dave Mack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The "V" were the earlier vietnamese made ones that came with Burns trisonics and grover tuners. The DBM, (which I stupidly bought) comes with cheap, plastic covered strat-type-bobbin pickups and "Jimbo" tuners. The wood is nice. That's why some people buy them, put in their own pickups, change tuners etc... But after all that, same price as Burns. So, when are the new Brian may co. guitars available? They are suppossed to be the same as his Burns but cheaper. I can get a Burns now for $799. Worth it to wait?

:) d

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 14 May 05, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dave Mack wrote:

The "V" were the earlier vietnamese made ones that came with Burns trisonics and grover tuners. The DBM, (which I stupidly bought) comes with cheap, plastic covered strat-type-bobbin pickups and "Jimbo" tuners. The wood is nice. That's why some people buy them, put in their own pickups, change tuners etc... But after all that, same price as Burns. So, when are the new Brian may co. guitars available? They are suppossed to be the same as his Burns but cheaper. I can get a Burns now for $799. Worth it to wait?

:) d

RE: Brian May Guitars (and maybe still some Burns USA models) . . . contact Jim at Audio Images in San Francisco email:
jim at audioimages dot com

Cool guy. An official dealer, so warranty etc. apply. Huge Queen and Brian May fan. Threw in a Whirlwind curly lead and a sixpence coin just because he's cool. I think he gave me a fair deal, and if he didn't, I don't want to hear otherwise! ;-) Contact him to negotiate. Shipping via UPS in the US was $25 I think.

Tell him Cindy sent you. ;-)

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.