Forums > Personal > Terri Died.

forum rss feed
Author

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe it. Terri Schiavo died, I am totally outraged. I can't believe some people can be so heartless. I really hope her family is doing alright.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I just saw it on CNN. It sucks, but what can you do about it...

Comprende muchacho.
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At last, she is at peace. Here is what I don't understand. It is ok to starve someone to death but to administer euthanasia to a chronically ill person is wrong?

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This should've from day 1 been a private matter. I am sorry for her loved ones that she is gone but there was no quality of life and the whole media and government involvment was unfair to her and now that she is at rest may she find eternal peace.

Kriz :^(

Long Live Queen!!!
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just thought it was ridiculous they let her starve and go without water. If they wanted her to die, why couldn't it have been an easier death? It's a little harsh...It's just plain stupid.

Comprende muchacho.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would anyone here putting themselves in Terri's position be willing to live like a vegetable for the rest of their life?

If there were chances of bringing Terri back from her coma and live a normal life, then I could understand the point of those who are protesting to keep her alive. However, doctors said that there were no chances of bringing Terri back from her vegetation state.

Btw, did anyone see last night that 'South Park' episode where Kenny goes into a coma and enters a vegetate state that stops him from going to heaven and becoming Keanu Reeves to stop Satan from invading heaven?
Seems very odd that the episode aired one day before Terri died.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand, but dehydration and starvation are one of the most painful ways to die. It is inhumane, even if she is mostly brain dead. Seriously, she has responded to different things such as a balloon passing by. She turned her head, followed it, and everything. Being on a feeding tube is not so much life support. She can breath on her own and do everything else necessary to live. A perfect example is how a baby relies on her mother to be fed. She is still a human and deserves respect even if she cannot (well, I guess now it would be right to say couldn't since she is gone..) do a lot of things. Her husband would not allow her to recieve therapy at all during her early stages. I am still disgusted. He could've just simply divorced her and allowed her parents to take care of her. He has a family of his own now, he should've let the people who cared for her the moment she was born take care of her now. Her husband must've had some infulence on why she had that accident. A young lady who is at a nice weight doesn't typical have a heart attack or stroke or whatever.

I would keep going, but I am in writing lab right now, and will probably be forced to turn the monitor off at any moment.

(Jim Rohn)
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yippie. Now maybe the news will be about something else rather than about a person who has been dead for 15 years. By the way, I recall that experts saying that she would not have felt pain but rather a euphoric state.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was indeed a tragedy. I was totally against her starving to death. There was no clear solution to this. She had no quality of life in the state she was in but it is not up to anyone on this earth to say when and how she should die. It was a sad, sad situation. I take comfort in knowing she is in a better place now. I'm not sure if it was her time to be in that place today, when her heart stopped years ago, or sometime in the future. I do know that it is not up to me, a judge, her husband, or anyone else to decide when it was her time. I do not like how the whole thing was handled but there was nothing I could do but hope for the best. I pray that this does NOT happen again.

Thomas, how can you say America's laws are stupid? Do you live here? I do not argue that every law on the books serves every citizen equally, that would be impossible in every country. Do the laws where you live make you completely happy? Is it legal to do LSD where you live? I am just wondering if it is bc you said you were going to try it. I'm starting to believe that you are predjudice against Americans, are you? I hope not. I am getting bored trying to convince you that 9 out of 10 things you say are insensitive.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser, I totally agree. That was very well put.

(Jim Rohn)
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I agree that Terri deserved a dignified quick and painless death, I certainly do not agree with just letting someone starve to death.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now all the 24-hour news stations can go back to reporting about, you know, other news in the world.

LittQueenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles and Lisser - well said. I am SO sad about this. This was a tragedy that would have NO happy ending. This poor woman and I feel SO sad for her family. But, I believe that she is at peace now and that is the most important thing. I am Catholic and the feeding tube issue is SO grey. On the one hand, it was inhumane to starve her to death, but then again she was in such a brain-damaged state that if it took a feeding tube to keep her alive, is she TRULY alive? No happy endings here, just questions and what ifs. The only person I don't feel sorry for is the husband - I don't why, but he gives me the creeps - here he is, the grieving husband, with the live-in girlfriend and 2 children with this woman??? Bullcrap. Why didn't he divorce Terri? He didn't want to give any power to her parents? He scares the crap out of me. But, at least this case has more and more Americans making out living wills with their wishes voiced so this kind of thing will not happen as often. I have one now!

GO, GO, GO LITTLE QUEENIE!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

This was indeed a tragedy. I was totally against her starving to death. There was no clear solution to this. She had no quality of life in the state she was in but it is not up to anyone on this earth to say when and how she should die. It was a sad, sad situation. I take comfort in knowing she is in a better place now. I'm not sure if it was her time to be in that place today, when her heart stopped years ago, or sometime in the future. I do know that it is not up to me, a judge, her husband, or anyone else to decide when it was her time. I do not like how the whole thing was handled but there was nothing I could do but hope for the best. I pray that this does NOT happen again.

Thomas, how can you say America's laws are stupid? Do you live here? I do not argue that every law on the books serves every citizen equally, that would be impossible in every country. Do the laws where you live make you completely happy? Is it legal to do LSD where you live? I am just wondering if it is bc you said you were going to try it. I'm starting to believe that you are predjudice against Americans, are you? I hope not. I am getting bored trying to convince you that 9 out of 10 things you say are insensitive.

I think Thomas makes a good point, but I can't tell you for sure if his comment was meant to be anti-American. Although I know that he makes some anti Republican/anti-conservative comments (some of which make sense to some extent), I have to say that IMO not all of them aren't meant to be taken in any way as anti-American. ...but anyways.

I know you say that this is a tragedy Lisser, and I agree with you. However, the past 15 years for Terri have been a much bigger tragedy than her own death. She's in a better place now, and although it's terribly sad it's a relief in some way. Definitely you're right when you say that this should never happen again, but the sad truth is that it could possibly (probably perhaps) happen again. Let this be a lesson to everyone because although chances are the we won't have to face such a terrible thing, it could still happen to anyone. Euthanasia has been a subject of way too much controversy for decades, but little has been done to solve the problem, since lawmakers are still debating over the problem. Hopefully Terri Schiavo's case will make them realize how important it is to come to an agreement.

A solution could be to make everyone sign a will or petition to decide their own fate in case that a state of illness makes them unable to give them the right to live or die. However, I don't know what would it take to make every single person sign such kind of petition.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now we can hear daily reports on whether Pope John Paul can speak and speculation on when he will say mass again.

The US legal system is certainly not a model for the rest of the world. The US legal system is by the lawyers for the lawyers, and is not really about justice. It is more about who can stuff the better lawyers pockets.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

The US legal system is certainly not a model for the rest of the world. The US legal system is by the lawyers for the lawyers, and is not really about justice. It is more about who can stuff the better lawyers pockets.

Don't forget Johnnie Cochran (R.I.P)

Although I didn't like him much for getting a clear murderer out of jail, I have to admit that the guy was damn smart (sometimes in malicious ways, like many lawyers) to make people who seem completely guilty get away with murder.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Does the US media know there is a "rest of the world" to report about?

2. Any country whose President bangs on about the right to life, and the "strong protecting the weak" while simultaneously allowing the mentally infirm to be executed deserves some serious questioning of its laws...

3. Withdrawing treatment is allowed in many countries. Killing people isn't (except some rather countries that think it's ok to execute criminals). If you don't like such laws, ask your politicians to change them

Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sad and happy news at the same time.
i might say i'm glad that she passed away in silence and now her husband and her parents won't have to fight in court (only inside the family...)

2+2=5
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

3. Withdrawing treatment is allowed in many countries. Killing people isn't (except some rather countries that think it's ok to execute criminals). If you don't like such laws, ask your politicians to change them

The problem my friend is that 99.99999% of politicians don't listen to people unless they're willing to take money out of their pockets and finance their campaigns.

*3*Playful as a pussycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Would anyone here putting themselves in Terri's position be willing to live like a vegetable for the rest of their life?

If there were chances of bringing Terri back from her coma and live a normal life, then I could understand the point of those who are protesting to keep her alive. However, doctors said that there were no chances of bringing Terri back from her vegetation state.

Btw, did anyone see last night that 'South Park' episode where Kenny goes into a coma and enters a vegetate state that stops him from going to heaven and becoming Keanu Reeves to stop Satan from invading heaven?
Seems very odd that the episode aired one day before Terri died.

very true...and yes i did see that South Park episode...it was a little harsh to be making fun of poor Terri in that way, but...damn...it was funny...

Freddie Mercury is my sexi moon lobster

"Mis francais est la meme que before. C'est un peu crap"-Brian May

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear!" -Freddie Mercury