Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Out of curiosity...

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Much has been written about the sheer amount of Queen MP3 file sharing which takes place here.

The discussion has swayed between official and unofficial, released and unreleased, generosity and eliteness, rare and mega-rare, and finally, free-to-download and selling or charging for a product.

Lots of issues there for us to get our teeth into.

However, out of curiosity, do similar Sites/threads/trees/groups/hubs etc... exist for other bands or artists?

How are bands like "The Beatles", "Led Zepellin", "The Rolling Stones" etc treated? Are they the same as here? Is Queenzone unique (as far as access to downloadable material is concerned), or is the same sort of "service" available for others too?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I have found is a pretty generous sharing of concert bootlegs from many other bands. When it comes to hubs and the like, it's quite easy to find specific places to share Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and U2 (to name a few). (This does not even touch on places like easytree where anybody and everybody is shared for free.) The only rules these hubs have are meant to ensure sharing (not leeching) or to ensure the quality of the trading pool (no mp3s or mp3-sourced stuff). Also, I think the assumption is that if you are wanting concert boots, you already have the official material and don't need to share it.

To make an example out of U2 for a moment, they have played 4 shows on their new tour (the same as Queen) and 3 of them are already widely available on the net. I think U2's attitude (bootlegging is ok, just don't profit) creates a culture among the fans that fosters sharing. Queen was never that open about bootlegging, so fans tend to play it closer to the vest.

The only caveat I can add is that this is usually the trend when it comes to concert boots. How this applies to rare demos, etc, I don't really know.

DJ's the man we love the most
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found it quite easy to get U2 rare demos-outtakes and the same with Led Zeppelin and the Who
Queen on the other hand is a nightmare

MY GOD spell it write.
Markman38 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm The Who where can I find those I've been looking some time now for outtakes of that great band

The Fonz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Smashing Pumpkins has a DC++ site which is easy to access. And you would not believe the amount of unreleased material they have.

Dream Theater has something like this group here - there's even a 'shared' easytree login available (as they don't seem to be taking new logins at the moment).

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 05, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Markman37 wrote:

Hmmm The Who where can I find those I've been looking some time now for outtakes of that great band

As have I.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 01:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF399> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

I would love to get my hands on some audio recordings of U2 concerts, does anyone know any sites?..

Check out the forums on interference.com

DJ's the man we love the most
father to my son user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oasis forum fans share bootlegs, demos etc

word goes around
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the Dream Theater forum (on the OFFICIAL site), there is a corner where bootlegs are offered. They have full support by the band. However, there is a very strict policy on official stuff: it's banned.
For the rest, in the title of your topic you announce whether you share or request a certain show. I must say that this is working excellent.
A link to the bootleg corner: http://dreamtheater.net/bb/forumdisplay.php?s=948722f6f350b837ff8aaf247f820c07&forumid=50

Wish more bands would have such an excellent system.