Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > TriSonic Burns Pickup setting

forum rss feed
Author

breakup user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello guys...

I've got some questions about the Burns Brian May signature and the pickups. What's your exact distance between pickup and strings - for every pickup?

Which settings (in-out-of-phase settings?) do you use for which song?

---
Breakup - Party und Funrock Live - www.breakup-online.de

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No guitarists here? ;-)

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no clue how far they are. But most songs are played with middle and bridge pickups in phase, I believe. Ogre Battle is neck and middle pickups out of phase, I think. God Save the Queen is neck and middle pickups in phase. I think the Bo Rhap solo is middle and bridge pickups out of phase, but I'm not positive.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good question. But I'm sure there's a site that maps out every possible configuration.

I was in the SoundControl shop in Glasgow on Thursday buying some bits and bobs for recording a band. And as I was leaving I saw the Burns model hanging up and I thought, "got to try it!" I never have and always chickened out at the thought of it.

I sat with it for about 20 minutes before having to rush for the train home. Moving the switches about was a lot of fun as I heard the differences it made to the sounds the guitar could make. I'm sure I came across the humbucker sound Brian talks about and even the screechier setting for solos. But couldn't hear any more details of the switchings because of the shop ambience, unfortunately.

I also used it with the VBM1 and it was interesting. But since there were 2-3 other guitarists playing through loud amps, I couldn't really latch onto the sound the VBM1 made either. Still, it was fun and I like the feel of the guitar.

Btw, who knows about the Adeson pickups? www.adeson.co.uk

I'm sure I read on a Brian May fan site that these are actually excellent. And a good price, too!

Peace,
Adam.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.treblebooster.com/brian_may_pickup_mod.htm

Nice mods for the pickups!

Peace,
Adam.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FOr pickup settings, watch the STar Licks / Master Series VHS/DVD.

As regards height of strings, I'd say experiment. In theory the lower the better, but I prefer the sound from a little higher on my Strat - I'd recommend the same approach to any guitar.

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I own the starlicks and I know this site... ;-) but I want to know the exact distance between Pickups and strings. Any idea?