Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian May on Uncut Mag: The Who is a better band than Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those who read Brian May's interview on Uncut Magazine, he mentioned that he considered The Who a better band than Queen.

The comment certainly took me by surprise. I don't know if Brian was rather trying to be nice towards The Who, or he truly considered that Queen wasn't as good as The Who.

I also remember Roger Daltrey making this comment about Queen: - "When Queen came around they kicked all of our asses".

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no idea if Brian was being modest and nice, or he meant it...but I'm not a Who fan myself.

I like "Tommy", and a FEW songs like "Leader Of The Band", "LOve Reign Over Me"..but that's about it. MY Mother and my brother love The Who, the way I Love Queen.

My Mom and My brother own every album by The Who and my brother has seen The Who back in the late 70's in concert.

They think I'm bonkers for loving Queen and owning all of Queen's albums and going on and on about Queen...but I think they're bonkers for loving The Who.

I also might add that I know you all here me say that Freddie is the greatest singer, showman, frontman, songwriter, ....and sexiest, hottest..

Well you should hear my Mmom go on about Roger Daltry...all she ever does is talk about how she wants to shag him....

And my brother thinks that Pete Townshend is THE GUITAR GOD!....which of course I can only say...

NOT!

And I would have loved to have seen Queen kick The Who's asses!!!!

xyz
dbruce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never been a particular fan of The Who myself, but Townshend and Entwhistle are certainly masters of their craft. I've never seen anyone do some of the things Entwhistle could do on a bass. Check out the 5:15 solo (I think) from their Royal Albert Hall DVD from a few years ago.

Depends what you're after in your music who you'd like best. I'm sure people on this board would say Queen are best of course, but just being registered to this forum gives you a bit of a bias!! :p

David

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think The Who is as great as bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd. IMO they're a good band, but they still remain one step behind those 3. Same thing goes for the Stones.

The Beatles are the only ones that could be considered to be on a league of their own, although personally and just like most people here I consider Queen the greatest band ever.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Brian.

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

I don't think The Who is as great as bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd. IMO they're a good band, but they still remain one step behind those 3. Same thing goes for the Stones.

The Beatles are the only ones that could be considered to be on a league of their own, although personally and just like most people here I consider Queen the greatest band ever.

You hit the nail right on the head Jingles. Glad somebody else thinks the same way I do!

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty sure that Brian has made similar comments before. I'm trying to remember where, but within the last few years (maybe around the time of Pete's arrest) he stated how much he thought of The Who and how he thought they were a better band.

Then, of course, there is Roger's comment at the UK Hall of Fame Awards. Seems they both liked The Who quite a lot.

DJ's the man we love the most
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no way, u gotta say the who and the stones are rock legends! brian may and roger taylor learnt so much from these guys! i dunno what brian was thinkin about when he said this tho.......

martinjkstones
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth!!

I listened to The Who greatest hits after I read that on Brian's site, and I thought "Brian, you are bonkers...."

Lester Burnham, just this once I will forgive your lapse in taste :)

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I ain't askin' to be forgiven!

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 05, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I don't know. I love Queen but I love The Who too, shoe!

I'd side with The Who on this.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well keep in mind the Who's Greatest Hits isn't much of an insight into the band as Queen's Greatest Hits isn't. The Who's "Quadrophenia" rock opera is rivaled by few things in the rock world IMHO, and only one or two songs from are their compilations....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

figures, lester would agree with brian comments, woop de do for lester, anyway, the who rock, and are true legends. in my opinion queen are the most underated band in history (in the states). the who are huge here and are considered rock royality, which they desearve. their both tremendous, it's all opinions.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Who are - simply - the most excitingly dynamic, visual rock band that has ever existed.

The very best way to appreciate the excitement is through the The Kids Are Alright film - sadly, this only scratches the surface and a forthcoming DVD project (which I can't expound on at the moment) should certainly put that to rights.

I would suggest that anyone interested in listening to them begins with the Live At Leeds album. Then Quadrophenia, then My Generation and then Tommy.

You really won't be disappointed.

Benn

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

figures, lester would agree with brian comments, woop de do for lester, anyway, the who rock, and are true legends. in my opinion queen are the most underated band in history (in the states). the who are huge here and are considered rock royality, which they desearve. their both tremendous, it's all opinions.

Wowza, Mike Hunt agreed with me on something!

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

The very best way to appreciate the excitement is through the The Kids Are Alright film - sadly, this only scratches the surface and a forthcoming DVD project (which I can't expound on at the moment) should certainly put that to rights.

agkjaghglahglahglkahdlhasldghadlg asdhg adgdhg DVD PROJECT?! Gasp!

But yes, I agree that The Kids Are Alright is a stunning portrayal of The Who as they should be meant to taken - not seriously.

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now I do like The Who. And live they are very good, especially with Keith and John. But they aint Queen in my book. Freddie is the best frontman ever. End of. And I wont listen to any arguments about that. You can't beat Queen live. Not Zeppelin, not The Who, not U2 (although they would disagree because they seem to have gone right up themselves lately). But The Who are great. If you have never listened to them then start! Who's Next is brilliant!

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

U2 needs two live stages to perform, one for the band and the other one for Bono's ego.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Who's Next is brilliant....

Certainly is - infact, Queen could do worse that look to release something along the lines of Who's Next Deluxe.......

> You can't beat Queen live....

All subjective - I know some people that think Rod Stewart is the best front man ever...... As a dynamic band, The Who have the edge. Each player is a genius in his own right - clearly Entwistle was a better and more influential player that Deacon and KM was a far better drummer than Roger ever was.

Pete played his own style without the flashy licks and solos Brian got into.

But it's ALL good.

Benn

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm partial to 'By Numbers', although 'Who's Next' is one of the classic albums of the 70s. I think I've heard just about every song from that album played on the radio in the past ten years or so.