Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Queen show in Rome after Pope dies.

forum rss feed
Author

Six Seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen should have postponed the concert in Rome which took place just two days after the death of Pope John Paul 2.Whoever is advising the band has completely failed to grasp the importance and scale of this period of mourning.I'm sure some other shows and events proceeded but you'll always get that sort of thing.Poor taste is only a reflection of the people involved.I wouldn't be too hard on the fans though as they weren't given any choice in rescheduling.
Brian has spoken about his own father's passing and how it devastated him.Can he really not understand that to Catholics this Pope was a beloved spiritual Father? For what it's worth , only speculation, but I think Freddie was too sophisticated to have made this mistake.I guess I'll always be a Queen fan but this really shows up the band.Maybe Deacon has been right all along.

trollkopf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 21:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if you are sad, because the pope is dead, you dont have to go to a rock show, whats the problem?
not accepting, other people having fun is pretty selfish.
i dont think everyone in italy is a Catholic...

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Six Seas of Rhye wrote:

Queen should have postponed the concert in Rome which took place just two days after the death of Pope John Paul 2.Whoever is advising the band has completely failed to grasp the importance and scale of this period of mourning.I'm sure some other shows and events proceeded but you'll always get that sort of thing.Poor taste is only a reflection of the people involved.I wouldn't be too hard on the fans though as they weren't given any choice in rescheduling.
Brian has spoken about his own father's passing and how it devastated him.Can he really not understand that to Catholics this Pope was a beloved spiritual Father? For what it's worth , only speculation, but I think Freddie was too sophisticated to have made this mistake.I guess I'll always be a Queen fan but this really shows up the band.Maybe Deacon has been right all along.

Am I missing something here?
Were the Pope's last words something to the effect
"Make sure that the rock band Queen doesn't play Rome". I highly doubt it.

You guys are acting like Brian ripped up a poster of him on T.V.

As far as Freddie? pul-leeease. He knew the Pope would've condemned him and his lifestyle to burn in hell for ever.

It's a logistical nightmare to re-schedule a concert. I'm glad they didn't do it and apparently
9,500 or so Italians are glad they didn't do it either. They paid their respects for the Pope at the concert. What more do you freaking want?

I guess some of you just won't be satisfied until Brian and Roger are hung up and nailed to a cross.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 05, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

I guess some of you just won't be satisfied until Brian and Roger are hung up and nailed to a cross.

Now THAT would be a finale!

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6375 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why did Queen refuse to reschedule after the Vatican made a very generous offer to reimburse the concert rescheduling costs as well the fan's costs to reschedule?

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
thanks freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
thanks freddie
Bohemian: 324 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on there are losts of people deiing around the world so we must cancel every sportevent or rockshows????

I'm getting tyred of this noncens about the pope, he is dead but life goes on, lets rock

michel

www.vrienden.wordpress.com

My personal DUTCH blog
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they would have played on, even if it had been Princess Di.

Life goes on.

Keep Good Company
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They cannot cancel. That has nothing to to with being insensitive. They signed contracts and sold tickets. Only if they are unable to perform, they can cancel and the insurance will pay for all costs. If the local authorities had forbidden the concert to happen, the insurance would have probably paid too but maybe they would have claimed the money from the city of Rome, so there you go.

I do not want any google ads here.

Tipsy Dino user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Six Seas of Rhye wrote:

For what it's worth , only speculation, but I think Freddie was too sophisticated to have made this mistake.

I thought the same thing.

By the way, I am not so sure Freddie expected "to burn in hell forever". According to Jim Hutton (in a radio interview) Freddie even used to say his prayers at night time before going to sleep. This may surprise a number of people...
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/5490/interviews/jh.html

Dino
s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as a queen fan ( and an ateist ), i am shocked and apalled with the way queen handled situation with the rome concert
roger taylor and brian may should be ashame of themselfs
is it all about fucking money ?
the couldn´t postpone the concert?
i doubt it
those two just lost a lot of respect from me

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a tricky situation. Playing seems to show a lack of respect for the Pope and the millions of Catholics, but not playing would have caused lots of problems to fans, especially to those who traveled to Rome from far away. Maybe if they postponed the Friday concert it would not cause so much trouble, if they say it in advance.

Dino: I'm not at all surprised Freddie was a highly spiritual man. His art proves it. All God's People is the highlight of his spiritual expression.

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fairy, You are right. I was not surprised either when reading about Freddies habit of praying. Just thought that many others wouldn’t have imagined, as Freddie is so often associated with his wild parties.

Dino

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know what you mean, Dino! Thanks for providing the link to Jim's interview. I'll read it later...I'm at work right now LOL.

King Freddie

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't see how anyone could possibly be affected by the Queen concert. I haven't yet seen a ticket holder complaining and most of them were Italians and apparently had a good time. It's a concert and not a freak show and I don't see why a Rock concert would affect the mourning Catholics anymore than a movie, a musical, a classical concert or any other cultural event which were not cancelled, either.

Of course it's about money but it's also about business. When you sign a contract you cannot just break the contact because it looks better for your image. Promoters have invested money and people bought tickets and they all are entitled to get what they paid for. It's just like asking Fiat or Ferrari to stop production out of respect - this does not happen either.

I do not want any google ads here.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not an expert on religion so somebody could maybe explain to me... Freddie led a wild life for which he's undoubtedly burning in hell (supposing there's something like heaven or hell). Now were his prayers useful in any way? I mean can I fuck anybody I meet in a club, then say a prayer before I go to sleep and everything is solved, everything is OK and I'll come to heaven? I'm just curious.

As for Rome, I'm with Queen. Maybe it's not 100% ethical but would you want to explain this to 9000+ people? For many of them it was the best night of their lives. It's like all these Queen bootlegs :-) They're not legal, they're not 100% ethical either but they do please thousands of fans.

S@turn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Should anyones' respect being hurted by a concert like this?

As long as the show is not on the St Peter Square I see no problems

No one needs to go to the concerts, but the ones who want to go, give them the same feedom to cheer as the others have to mourne

Now Prince Reinair of Monaco (how the hell you write that name *G*) passed away, you might as well suggest to skip the entire tour

A dear friend of me passed away as well, so should I not go to the show?

Life is real
The show MUST go on
and no one gonna stop us now
It's written in the stars

Another fantastic posting of a wonderful person!

=================

all we need is internet-blog-blog, internet bla-bla

http://saturn.queenzone.com/

===

Let's make ourself better then we were befo

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

I'm not an expert on religion so somebody could maybe explain to me... Freddie led a wild life for which he's undoubtedly burning in hell (supposing there's something like heaven or hell). Now were his prayers useful in any way? I mean can I fuck anybody I meet in a club, then say a prayer before I go to sleep and everything is solved, everything is OK and I'll come to heaven? I'm just curious.

As for Catholicism, there is at least the principle of “confession”. You can always start all over with a clean slate. I don’t think heavy partying and leading a wild life is considered a very heavy sin. If you are interested, here is a link to the “parable of the lost son”, about a guy who is forgiven by his father after leading a riotous life:
http://www.bcbsr.com/survey/pbl34.html
Freddie may have liked the story.
Whether other religions (Protestantism?) have more problems with forgiving sins, I don’t know.

Dino

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why should Freddie be burning in hell??? As long as you don't hurt anyone, why should you be punished?? He wanted to have a good time. This is no sin. It may be, if you strictly apply religious teachings, not just Catholic. But I believe in the religion of common sense. He did so much good to milions of people!!!!

Fairy

King Freddie

Óli Gneisti Sóleyjarson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They did the right thing, why on Earth should people in mourning be offended because other people are having fun? Life goes on.

7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 05, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen absolutely did the right thing by going ahead with the show, and a moment of silence for respect shows their intentions. If Carol W had the ability to speak in his last days, of course he would-- so Queen, having the means to perform, should also. Musical talent is a gift from YHVH, not politicians. And if Brian and Roger and Paul were crucified (hi Lester!) yeah that would be an impressive scene but when they find Resurrection, THAT's really impressive imho.

Queen didn't stop anyone from mourning, didn't stop anybody from seeing a funeral, and given Freddie's circumstances, it's slightly mad for people to criticize Queen as being insensitive.
This might be a situation where Freddie's remark "people come to a Queen show to forget their problems for a little while" came true in a very real way.

Now about that set list...could we please have some Innuendo? Pretty please with Cristal and caviar on top? ;)

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!