Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How do you guys listen to bad bootlegs?

forum rss feed
Author

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Apr 05, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First let me tell you that I am over 55 years old and well remember buying my first Queen album (vinyl even) in 1974 and saw them many times live. The last show I saw was in 85 at the Wembley Arena during the works tour before I moved to the states. A day does not go buy without listening to something by Queen or Queen related and still think Hammer is the greatest headbanger of all time. I appreciate the work and effort that many of you put into uploading bootlegs and I often download them if I read that the sound quality is good. Usually I just can't listen to them because they are terrible. I don't think the 'better than nothing rule applies here . Am I getting old? Are you guys much bigger fans than I thought I was ?
I was so excited when Queen made some of their boots available and happily paid my money, nut did they go out of their way to pick the crappiest selections? Awfull sound.
Anyway, enjoy reading what you guys write and appreciate you taling the time to make stuff available.
Cheers

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 05, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Among the online music trading community, Queen has a reputation for having the worst sounding bootlegs.

I have no idea why that is.

nibznik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 05, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

your just talking about the 3 bad quality ones i put up, I put them up for the sake of having early shows, but everything else ive posted is fairly good.

"I am Jack The Pumpkin King!" - Jack The Pumpkin King
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 05, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

Among the online music trading community, Queen has a reputation for having the worst sounding bootlegs.

I agree. Very few of my Queen bootlegs rank in the top half of my collection for sound quality.
Maybe it's the rabid fans at the shows! :P

Shake it Sugaree
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are around 100 great-sounding Queen bootlegs, all the way from '73 to '86... just not all of them are easy to get. In the Queen world, you need good contacts to get the right stuff. The mentality is: you have to work hard to earn something. It won't be given on a silver platter.

So, you start by getting a few common recordings, and over time, you make contacts... and slowly, the good recordings will come your way.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

There are around 100 great-sounding Queen bootlegs, all the way from '73 to '86... just not all of them are easy to get. In the Queen world, you need good contacts to get the right stuff. The mentality is: you have to work hard to earn something. It won't be given on a silver platter.

So, you start by getting a few common recordings, and over time, you make contacts... and slowly, the good recordings will come your way.

Sir GH, Can you give me an idea of which 100 are good? :)))

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tokyo 4/4/76 (or some date very similar to that)...

AWESOME quality, and a great show (too bad its incomplete)....

P.S. The BoRhap/Killer Queen/Black Queen/BoRhap/Leroy Brown medley from that one.....just incredible....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
XcessQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 381 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

I often download them if I read that the sound quality is good. Usually I just can't listen to them because they are terrible.

I agree.

If I like the show/playlist very much, and sound quality is not very good, I sometimes spend a few days to "clean" it. I use Cool Edit Pro program, and I'm quite satisfied with the results. Sometimes I even astonish myself with the done work.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How do you guys listen to bad bootlegs?

Simple - I don't!

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

djaef wrote:

Take a look at my webpage below. Anything rated as EX- or better is enjoyable to most ears.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

djaef wrote:

Hell, I can tell you - the ones that Queen Online are offering!

hm.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Simple - I don't!

but that is surely overlooking one key factor -
many of the poorer sounding boots have an ingredient or two that makes them much more interesting than the better sounding ones

they are usually a better show, or the band were in better spirits, or there was more improv/interaction

and some of the better sounding ones provide the exact polar opposite
Earls Court is a prime example - brilliant quality (one of my faves) - but the boys were very nervous

go deo na h√Čireann
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Golder's Green 73
Rainbow 74
Hammersmith 75
Hyde Park 76
Earl's Court 77
Hammersmith 79
Tokyo 82
Osaka 85

If you have the above, and still think the quality is poor...you are getting old (as exemplified by your failing memory - Wembley was 84 on The Works tour).

There are some stinkers, it has to be said, but there are just as many excellent ones.

In answer to your questions, if the sound is bad, I listen a lot less often.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 05, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have three Queen ROIOs. Hammersmith 1975 with BBC 1977. Earls Court 1977. Montreal 1981(We Will Rock You DVD Soundtrack)

Pink Floyd I have a crapload of. Most of the PF ROIOs I have are of great quality.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Houston 1977 (complete soundboard recording)
Paris 1978
Chicago 1978
Montreal 1978
Zoom 1976/1979
Buenos Aires 1981
Milton Keynes 1982 (most of the HS-tour recordings have very good quality)
Birmingham 1984
London 1984
Most of the 1985/1986 recordings have very good quality

Just to name a few...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

12/8/80 Wembley too.........not the BEST quality one I've heard, but damn good anyway......and a good show.......love the KYA/Flash/Brighton Rock bit...

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=#ff7f00>Brenski</B> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Simple - I don't!

but that is surely overlooking one key factor -
many of the poorer sounding boots have an ingredient or two that makes them much more interesting than the better sounding ones

they are usually a better show, or the band were in better spirits, or there was more improv/interaction

Yes, I think so.
And imo, there are some better quality boots having better vibes or interesting setlist including numbers that have been rarely played and/or have never surfaced on any album, or both.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed. With the emergence of Torrents and other Internet uploads it does provide a platform for new collectors to build a collection, but then the problem is that certainly here the same old shows get shared over and over....meaning that most traders who can be contacted via this website will have the shows you have to offer them.

Case in point being Dallas 78 - when that was shared on Dimeadozen in FLAC, complete a while back I downloaded it from there and after consulting one or two people I was told it was a rare show and believed only elite traders would have this (giving me something new to trade with); unfortunately for me it has been shared here in FLAC since and is no longer rare...

I visit record fairs in my area regularly and am always on the lookout for factory-pressed Queen bootlegs (which by and large are of a better sound quality of a show I may already own)....it seems as if people have to spend money to obtain shows that are still trade-worthy.

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

I have no idea why that is.

The reasons for this are:

1. 95% of the available shows are of audience recordings, there are virtually no SBD tapes besides a few FM sources and video soundtracks.

2. Queen collectors have failed to track down low gen tapes of many of the recordings over the years, so a good number of the circulating shows are of terrible high gen tapes.

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitesthedust<br><h6> The QZ gentleman... wrote:

I visit record fairs in my area regularly and am always on the lookout for factory-pressed Queen bootlegs (which by and large are of a better sound quality of a show I may already own)....it seems as if people have to spend money to obtain shows that are still trade-worthy.

I'd be surprised if there were many factory pressed bootlegs that increased your trading apabilities. They're usually either the same concerts or bizarre compilations in my experience.