Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Queenzone Are Next?

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hypothetical question: Could it happen here?

WWW.Shareconnector.com has (amongst others) been SHUT down, and it's "owners" arrested NOT for HOSTING "illegal" files - but for LINKING (or POINTING) to "illegal" files.

Furthermore, the internet is littered with such dead bodies: www.sharereactor.com or www.svcdplaza.com to name another couple.

Those who say it can NOT happen HERE, should perhaps read the short transcript below, but before you do, I am no "Killjoy, badguy...", just someone who loves this 'zone and respects that it only takes one or two STUPID individuals to point to - or encourage ONE "Official" file too many - before they break the proverbial camel's back.

Please, can I ask ever so nicely, let's stop the "begging culture", and the temptation to link to OFFICIAL product, as to do so MAY result in disaster for us all.

Apart from the extract below, you can find the full version for yourselves at www.shareconnector.com (and before some smart-Alex starts with the legalities - the hard truth is - Shareconnector are STILL closed down - END OF STORY).

"I'll explain in short what... happened the day... SC was taken down. Foundation BREIN (dutch anti-piracy) requested permission from the public prosecutor to take SC down. BREIN told the public prosecutor that SC is taking part in illegal activities such as copyright infringement. As we all know it's not illegal by Dutch law to put eD2k links on a webpage, it's just a hashcode which describes a file so it has nothing to do with localization.

Without any (real) investigation they assumed BREIN was right and gave permission to FIOD-ECD (piracy tracing department) to seize the servers and take SC offline. That day only 1 person was arrested our SC ISP Zefanja, his computers etc. were seized and he was 2 days in jail...

The so called experts at FIOD-ECD didn't have a clue on how SC and eDonkey2k operated, so what the hell is their job then... They are now stretching time, doing nothing and calling it an investigation."

Hey, I only wrote this because I care about this place - but I accept that others may feel that I am pissing in the wind - and it is as much their 'zone - as it is mine.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
thankstogravity user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John, I couldn't agree with you more. With the amount of officially released material being tossed around QZ (including full albums by The Cross), it's only a matter of time before someone takes notice and then takes action.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm thinking perhaps a ban should be imposed on those who post links to official material.
Begging for mp3s of officially released material has to stop. And those who openly trade it thru MSN need to stop as well. If you must trade or post these songs please do it in another forum.

Shake it Sugaree
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We would be naive to be not concerned.
The recent EZT situation has proven one thing: no one is safe!

Richard needs to lay down some ground rules about offering links / torrents on QZ.

For most of us Queenzone is "home" on the net... and no one would want others to jeapordise that.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed!
Too much officially released material lately. And we all know that Queenproductions is keeping an eye on these website offering music! (There have been Queen websites closed in the past that did not even have OFFICIALLY released stuff -just boots- on them and got closed for that.

Rules should be set indeed.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now that would be ideal but unfortunately there will a few idiots who will still post official stuff even after they have been told otherwise.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree. If someone REALLY needs in some official tracks it's more easy to ask someone over e-mail than post requests and links here.

kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

Agree. If someone REALLY needs in some official tracks it's more easy to ask someone over e-mail than post requests and links here.

If someone really NEEDS some official tracks then it is better for them to buy them.

In the case of Queen and other big bands they might not miss the money on a few illegal 'sales' but for a new band trying to breakthough then every sale is crucial - every unoffical download of a new/up & coming band kills off the grass roots of the industry.

As for bootlegs of gigs never to be released, share them with as many as you can for free - get rid of the e-bay traders and give the recordings away

TieYourMotherDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree something needs to be done.

I think it's great we trade bootlegs, unreleased tracks, demos, interviews, remixes, etc ... but I think the torrenting of ENTIRE albums should be TOTALLY banned.

Full albums are a definante no-no, as well as album cuts.

In the lap of the Gods
Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TieYourMotherDown wrote:

I agree something needs to be done.

I think it's great we trade bootlegs, unreleased tracks, demos, interviews, remixes, etc ... but I think the torrenting of ENTIRE albums should be TOTALLY banned.

Full albums are a definante no-no, as well as album cuts.

I dont know anything to add to that... Amen.

Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's nothing wrong with sharing the Cross material on here, for crying out loud - the albums have been out of print for years and years.

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 05, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let them come.. I alone will destroy any threat to our community.. they are no match for the power of the Dark side of the Force..

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.

Posted: 10 Apr 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kyassor wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

If someone really NEEDS some official tracks then it is better for them to buy them.

You didn't get my point - in some cases it's impossible to find a record (you CAN'T buy a legal copy of Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know now for instance), so in this case I think you may ask for a couple of tracks but not in public place like this.

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ian R wrote:

There's nothing wrong with sharing the Cross material on here, for crying out loud - the albums have been out of print for years and years.

I would advise anyone against paying for any Cross album - don't waste you're money, they're bloody awful.

neeuqfonafamai user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

kyassor wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

You didn't get my point - in some cases it's impossible to find a record (you CAN'T buy a legal copy of Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know now for instance), so in this case I think you may ask for a couple of tracks but not in public place like this.

I totally agree. No officially-released material should be shared on here. If it is out of print (and therefore unavailable) then it is acceptable to share a few tracks through e-mail (but not in a public place like this). After all, what is the point in going to all the trouble of sourcing out such hard-to-find material if it turns out you don't like it after-all ('cos no-body would let you listen to a few songs to see if you did).

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

neeuqfonafamai wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

kyassor wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

I totally agree. No officially-released material should be shared on here. If it is out of print (and therefore unavailable) then it is acceptable to share a few tracks through e-mail (but not in a public place like this). After all, what is the point in going to all the trouble of sourcing out such hard-to-find material if it turns out you don't like it after-all ('cos no-body would let you listen to a few songs to see if you did).

The arguments for aquiring the Cross stuff is well argued, but unfortunately I dont think QP or the record company, in this case Virgin (I think thats who the Cross are were with) would see it that way. They would probably see it as either "theft" or lost revenue.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
neeuqfonafamai user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

neeuqfonafamai wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

kyassor wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

The arguments for aquiring the Cross stuff is well argued, but unfortunately I dont think QP or the record company, in this case Virgin (I think thats who the Cross are were with) would see it that way. They would probably see it as either "theft" or lost revenue.

Didn't say they would like it! But maybe they might get the point and make it available, after all they can't make revenue from something they are not selling.

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MBADTK was released by Parlophone.

Just take a look at 'Rating' of this album (seems as it's impossible to get even if you're in UK):
http://www.pcpki.com/cgi-bin/discography.cgi?ra:MAD+BAD+AND+DANGEROUS+TO+KNOW

I don't know how young and new fans have to buy legal copy of this record! But when someone asks for stuff like 'Thank God It's Christmas' because they don' want to buy GHIII (which still is available everywhere) - that's wrong...

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Agree with you John!

Please stop sharing official products!

I think Queenproductions is tollerating the situation on queenzone (downloading from concerts etc) because they know that it's sharing the music (among fans who buy all official queen products, or most of them do) and it will happen anyway (swapping bootlegs) Let's not spoil this by putting official material online!

btw.. i think the cross has some good songs! I like the blue rock album!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 05, 21:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

MBADTK was released by Parlophone.

I don't know how young and new fans have to buy legal copy of this record!...

One word: eBay