Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Live Tour Downloads My Review!

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Fat Bottomed Girls (Paris 30/03/2005)

Brian sounds great! Paul sounds...lackluster, weak, tepid performance by Paul.

2. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Paris 30/03/2005)

Paul sounds particularly awful on this. His vocal range is terrible and entirely wrong for the song, and he sounds like he makes no emotional effort to serve the song. He also doesn't add any of the intentional exuberance, playfulness, and bouncy fun feeling needed for and to convey the lyrics.

3. Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (Madrid 01/04/2005)

Paul sounds GREAT on his own song. Right on target. But...Brian Steals The Show and The Thunder here, not only complimenting Paul..but...making Paul sound better.

4. I Want To Break Free (Madrid 01/04/2005)

Again I don't like Paul's vocals on this and he just doesn't add any emotional feeling or inflection into the fun lyrics.

5. Love Of My Life (Barcelona 02/04/2005)

Surprised at how tender and emotive Brian is on this vocally. While his actual voice can't compare to Freddie's, his heart inspiring and utter conviction and rendering of the deeply meangingful lyrics carries all of the genuine conviction and emotion that Freddie also did, which is what is the most essential element of this song, and his acoustic guitar is as always sublime. Freddie would be proud...and I am too! Wonderful Brian!

6. I'm In Love With My Car (Barcelona 02/04/2005)

Roger Blew My Mind on this! God can he SING!!! and ROCK!!!! He Really should take over all of the Hard rock vocals from Paul Rodgers. Roger just does not give himself enough credit as a rock vocalist. He imbues all the whimsy, exuberance, and rambunctiousness of this rocker and it's tongue in cheek lyrics...effortlessly..and genuinely sounds like he is enjoying himself. Roger belts out his vocals with a thundering raspy rauchousness that completely serve the song! Unlike Paul...he is in total control and command of the emotional element needed to imbue and color the lyrics. He is Fantastic, Stupendous!!!!

7. Love Of My Life (Rome 04/04/2005)

Same exact review as #5, only I think the sound on the Barcelona version is a bit better.

8. Last Horizon (Rome 04/04/2005)

STUNNING!!!! Brian definitely proves himself as one of music's most talented musicians and guitarists here. His fingerings and emotional inflections are sublime, exquisite. I played it oh about 10 times!!!!


Total review...again...Roger & Brian should handle all of the vocals. Understand...that no vocalist will sound like Freddie (and probably shouldn't as they need to put their OWN stamp on things). But a Good Vocalist again, knows how to SERVE the song...meaning that if you interject the proper feeling, EMOTION..and ENERGY... into the lyrics as you sing them...you convey the song as it was meant to be.

Roger & Brian are TOP GUNNERS at this. They Totally immerse themselves into the songs and so the feeling of each song they sing..be it a scorching rocker, or a tender ballad...comes through. I think that maybe...from what I hear here...if they had kept Queen together AFTER Freddie died and assumed the vocals right then and there...all these years...we still would have had Queen as we know it..John probably would have stayed on...and who knows how far they could have taken the band.

Again...I say Roger & Brian NEVER gave themselves enough credit as vocalists to handle the duties themselves...and if they had done it right away..with no time lapse, WE wouldn't be debating who should or could sing on behalf of Freddie, and after Roger's and Brian's mourning time was complete after Freddie's death...if they had picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, written some new tunes and continued with no time lapse, we NEVER would be sitting here now nearly 15 years after Freddie's passing debating if Paul Rodgers or anyone could or should step in for Freddie.

Roger & Brian have proven themselves h


xyz
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Woops, when I copied it from the Queenplus PaulRodgers website I forgot to delete that...so now I will...


xyz
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's pretty obvious from this and your other posts that you are not much of a Paul Rodgers fan. Thanks for posting though.


Shake it Sugaree
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jericho05 wrote:

It's pretty obvious from this and your other posts that you are not much of a Paul Rodgers fan. Thanks for posting though.


I actually LIKE Paul Rodgers and I have seen him in concert and I know ALL of his songs with Free, Bad Company, The Firm, The Law, Tribute To Muddy Waters. I just from my own listening to this...with an open mind...am NOT pleased with what I hear from him. He just does not SERVE the songs of Queen. And I am NOT comparing him to Freddie. In fact if I Did NOT know the songs of Queen, and was listening to these live songs versions of Queen's songs for the 1st time...I would think the same. Paul practically sleepwalks through the songs. No feeling, no energy, no emotion.

But Roger & Brian...are on ALL cylinders, firing away on vocals. The energy, emotion, feeling is all there.

Here is a good example for you. I HATE the band Supertramp. I hate the WAY they sing their own songs. Up until this year, I ONLY knew their version of "Give A Little Bit", which I HATE!

I ALSO do NOT like the Goo Goo Dolls. Yuck!

But this year, The Goo Goo Dolls covered and released a LIVE version of "Give A Little Bit" and I LOVE the song. Now I hate both Supertramp and I hate The Goo Goo Dolls, and they both suck at singing and rendering their own material. But for some reason the Goo Goo Dolls put more energy, emotion, feeling into COVERING the Supertramp song than any of their own (THE Goo Goo Dolls) songs...and its' great!

So there you have an open, objectibe opinion from me in that scenario. 2 bands I hate doing their own material. But one band covering the other band's material...is Wonderful! Go figure.


xyz
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jericho05 wrote:

It's pretty obvious from this and your other posts that you are not much of a Paul Rodgers fan. Thanks for posting though.


LOL! Understatement of the year.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Roger & Brian have proven themselves here...and I think it's a darn shame that they and we lost 15 years and they lost steam...when they had so much potential on their own as vocalists. They are Wonderful...and I think WE the fans, and critics, should let them know that!!!!


Have you stopped to consider that maybe Bri and Rog enjoy having a frontman so they can relish their traditional roles?

Brian and Roger have toured on their own. They hardly need a self-esteem seminar concerning their own vocal abilities.

Can you somehow accept the fact that PR is out there not because BRi and Rog don't think they could sing the songs, but because they really love hearing his pipes belt out their songs AND they love playing his tunes.

Just because YOU think Paul does the songs without
life, don't kid yourself for one second that Bri and Rog(and thousands of others) feel the same as you do.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

jericho05 wrote:

It's pretty obvious from this and your other posts that you are not much of a Paul Rodgers fan. Thanks for posting though.


I actually LIKE Paul Rodgers and I have seen him in concert and I know ALL of his songs with Free, Bad Company, The Firm, The Law, Tribute To Muddy Waters. I just from my own listening to this...with an open mind...am NOT pleased with what I hear from him. He just does not SERVE the songs of Queen. And I am NOT comparing him to Freddie. In fact if I Did NOT know the songs of Queen, and was listening to these live songs versions of Queen's songs for the 1st time...I would think the same. Paul practically sleepwalks through the songs. No feeling, no energy, no emotion.

But Roger & Brian...are on ALL cylinders, firing away on vocals. The energy, emotion, feeling is all there.

Here is a good example for you. I HATE the band Supertramp. I hate the WAY they sing their own songs. Up until this year, I ONLY knew their version of "Give A Little Bit", which I HATE!

I ALSO do NOT like the Goo Goo Dolls. Yuck!

But this year, The Goo Goo Dolls covered and released a LIVE version of "Give A Little Bit" and I LOVE the song. Now I hate both Supertramp and I hate The Goo Goo Dolls, and they both suck at singing and rendering their own material. But for some reason the Goo Goo Dolls put more energy, emotion, feeling into COVERING the Supertramp song than any of their own (THE Goo Goo Dolls) songs...and its' great!

So there you have an open, objectibe opinion from me in that scenario. 2 bands I hate doing their own material. But one band covering the other band's material...is Wonderful! Go figure.

Jeez Arlene I see SOME of your POINTS but what's with ALL the CAPITAL letters?


Shake it Sugaree
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:


Roger & Brian have proven themselves here...and I think it's a darn shame that they and we lost 15 years and they lost steam...when they had so much potential on their own as vocalists. They are Wonderful...and I think WE the fans, and critics, should let them know that!!!!


Have you stopped to consider that maybe Bri and Rog enjoy having a frontman so they can relish their traditional roles?

Brian and Roger have toured on their own. They hardly need a self-esteem seminar concerning their own vocal abilities.

Can you somehow accept the fact that PR is out there not because BRi and Rog don't think they could sing the songs, but because they really love hearing his pipes belt out their songs AND they love playing his tunes.

Just because YOU think Paul does the songs without
life, don't kid yourself for one second that Bri and Rog feel the same as you do.


But..we are talking about NOW 2005...what about right after Freddie passed, when both Roger & Brian...were frustrated that they felt Queen had ended because they were at a loss as to who could sing...

....and so they instead..ended Queen..and Roger & Brian did DO the frontman thing and handled ALL of the duties, singing and playing in their own bands...with their solo projects...when they just could have kept Queen going...if thwy only has had a little faith in themselves. I'm referring to what has now been lost and what could have been in these 15 years...and you DO hear regret in Brian's CURRENT interviews about how Queen ended all these years. But it didn't have to....Now we know that.


xyz
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

Knute wrote:


Roger & Brian have proven themselves here...and I think it's a darn shame that they and we lost 15 years and they lost steam...when they had so much potential on their own as vocalists. They are Wonderful...and I think WE the fans, and critics, should let them know that!!!!


Have you stopped to consider that maybe Bri and Rog enjoy having a frontman so they can relish their traditional roles?

Brian and Roger have toured on their own. They hardly need a self-esteem seminar concerning their own vocal abilities.

Can you somehow accept the fact that PR is out there not because BRi and Rog don't think they could sing the songs, but because they really love hearing his pipes belt out their songs AND they love playing his tunes.

Just because YOU think Paul does the songs without
life, don't kid yourself for one second that Bri and Rog feel the same as you do.


But..we are talking about NOW 2005...what about right after Freddie passed, when both Roger & Brian...were frustrated that they felt Queen had ended because they were at a loss as to who could sing...

....and so they instead..ended Queen..and Roger & Brian did DO the frontman thing and handled ALL of the duties, singing and playing in their own bands...with their solo projects...when they just could have kept Queen going...if thwy only has had a little faith in themselves. I'm referring to what has now been lost and what could have been in these 15 years...and you DO hear regret in Brian's CURRENT interviews about how Queen ended all these years. But it didn't have to....Now we know that.

It had nothing to do with faith in themselves and everything to do with it being too soon after the death of their friend.

Remember, that as little as 9 months ago, Brian thought that Queen in any form would never live again.
Along comes Paul and BAM, somehow Paul's "lifeless" renditions of WWRY/WATC sets off the proverbial lightbulb in Brian's head. He is literally moved to the point where it seems possible for these songs to live again.

And get this, Paul is moved as well! So he is game enough to risk the potential malestorm of crticism
to make a go of this.

So keep in mind next time you want to publicly slag off Paul for the 'umpteenth time that
if it wasn't for him, this never would've happened.
It took 14 years for the circumstances to be right.

TieYourMotherDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You do raise some good points, it is true that Brian and Roger probably could have handled vocals on their own to a certain extent ... but think about it ... can you imagine Brian or Rog singing Bo Rhap? I think it's really important to have a dedicated frontman, and while Paul perhaps lacks flair and campness, he solid as a rock, and is the perfect performer to let Brian and Rog do what they do best.


In the lap of the Gods
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 05, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

2. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Paris 30/03/2005)

Paul sounds particularly awful on this. His vocal range is terrible and entirely wrong for the song, and he sounds like he makes no emotional effort to serve the song. He also doesn't add any of the intentional exuberance, playfulness, and bouncy fun feeling needed for and to convey the lyrics.
-----------------------------------------------
Here's one thing I have issue with your review.

CLTCL is done in the key of D just like the original, Paul sings the melody for the most part note for note. He doesn't sing it an octave higher or lower than the original. So when you say his range is terrible it sounds like you're using vernacular terms to sound clever.
The differences lie in his tonal quality and in the rhythmic phrasing of certain lines, which IMO is less pronouced on this particular tune than the other Queen songs he sings.

As far as the intentional exuberance, playfulness, and bouncy fun you refer to. It sounds like you are describing Freddie's vocals. I thought the fact that Paul doesn't try to mimic Freddie was a good thing?

In fact for me, Paul's singing on AKOM opened my eyes to how cool of a song that is. I used to never like that tune, but Paul's delivery made me see the Motown like nature of it. He brings out more of an old-school RnB flavor. I love that kind of shit. Now I can't stop listening to the Madrid version of that song.

I guess it all boils down to different strokes for different folks, but you can't keep looking for the Freddie in Paul because it's just not there nor will it ever be.
For me, all I ask of a singer is to respect the tune and I want them to get inside and feel it in their own way. I want this MUCH more than I want them to copy the original.
Check out Otis Redding doing Sam Cooke songs for a beautiful example of this.