Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Studio overdubs on Milton Keynes

forum rss feed
Author

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello,

I don't know if this has been discussed before (although i did a quick search on the notice board).. sorry if it has been discussed before..

Queen on fire at the bowl has been overdubbed.

I was listening to Fat Bottomed Girls. On the bootleg i have from that show (Command Performance Milton keynes 1982) you can clearly hear Freddie hitting a false note. This is on the track FBG after 2 minutes and 19 seconds. For those of you who don't have the bootleg: Freddie sings ain't no beauty queens at this...and than the false no comes..

When you listen to the official cd from the same concert (on fire, live at the bowl) you can hear Freddie singing the same textline without the false note. After 2 minutes and 23 seconds Freddie sings the same line in Fat Bottomed Girls perfectly well.It has been overdubbed in the studio.

I want a live recording, not a live recording which has been made "perfect" in the studio and is full of overdubs! That's fake. I realise most bands will use the studio overdubs on their "live" albums and queen did it before as well (live killers) but i still don't like it.

Who of you has found other overdubs on the on fire cd's? What a shame also that they have edited some of Freddie's speeches out.

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't be daft - these aren't 'overdubs' - Pro tools can fix performance glitches quite easily - happens all the time - don't fret!

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Additionally,there are no dubs on Live Killers - none - period!

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Additionally,there are no dubs on Live Killers - none - period![/QUOTE

Are you serious?

Take a look at http://www.geocities.com/qzboots/pages/lkanalysis.htm

Live Killers is full of overdubs..

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Don't be daft - these aren't 'overdubs' - Pro tools can fix performance glitches quite easily - happens all the time - don't fret!

yeah.. ok maybe it's not an "overdub" but what i meant to say was: it has been made "perfect" in the studio. That's not my favourite kind of thing for a live album.

I know it happens a lot, i did mention that before.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LIVIN' A LIE = STEPFORD! >,<

Killed by drones.
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are definitely no dubs on Live Killers - they had plenty of live takes to choose from for each track! And i'd say it was quite impossible for Freddie to overdub new vocals for a DVD (!!). Just clever editing I'd say.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As said in my analysis (thanks for posting the link, Ducksoup), I firmly believe there are overdubs on Bicycle Race, '39, Don't Stop Me Now, and We Are The Champions.

All other tampers, of which there are quite a few, are from multi-tracks of other concerts.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
XcessQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 381 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Queen did overdub their live albums - than I'm dissapointed and very sorry to hear that.
I want LIVE - whether it's prefect or not, but LIVE recording - what you HEAR is what you GET. :)

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANAGRAMER wrote:

The "glitch" Freddie made in Fat Bottomed Girls cannot possibly be repaired with ProTools. It was a major screw-up and was overdubbed. Believe me, I am a Pro Tools user.

chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being a musician myself I couldn't agree with you more. I would prefer a band leave any mistakes in their live recordings. It shows their only human but that's just me. I noticed in BoRap on the video that the piano run up coming out of the heavy section is dubbed with another run-up. It doesn't sync to well. And I heard that Freddie always dreaded that p[iano run-up and listening to many bootlegs he tenede to rush it a bit leading to minor mistakes. Also, there was originally keyboards at the begining of the show in We Will Rock You. I was ELATED when then dropped it out of the final mix for the dvd. But Queen being perfectionists did what they had to do for their art. You still gotta love it though!

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those from We Will rock you Aren't overdubs, but excepts from the other day (2 days were recorded and mixed together for the recording)

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ayreon wrote:

Those from We Will rock you Aren't overdubs, but excepts from the other day (2 days were recorded and mixed together for the recording)

Not very well mixed- should be added, hence the bad sync...

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANYWAY- they patched the FBG thing but they left many mistakes!!! During Now I'm Here Brian played wrong chord (intro) and they didn't change it. They didn't even try to cover what happened during Guitar Solo. There are more (less obvious) and they stayed. I think it's a pretty decent documentation of what the gig was like... I love it- only LIVE KILLERS's better so far...

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fireplace wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

The "glitch" Freddie made in Fat Bottomed Girls cannot possibly be repaired with ProTools. It was a major screw-up and was overdubbed. Believe me, I am a Pro Tools user.

Quite. If Pro Tools was indeed that powerful, we would probably be able to re-mould Freddie recordings into new songs. I wonder if that will be possible some day (using the principles of resynthesis, perhaps?).

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh c'mon-- they just used a vocal bit from different gig, that's the whole bloody "secret" to it...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

trustno1 wrote:

Fireplace wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Quite. If Pro Tools was indeed that powerful, we would probably be able to re-mould Freddie recordings into new songs. I wonder if that will be possible some day (using the principles of resynthesis, perhaps?).

It already is... (NOT A JOKE)

Peace,
Adam.

Sandys user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't notice that... I also have some bootleg videos, but not the Bowl 82.

I want to share something different from the Bowl: I don't know if it's my imagination, but I perceive in the group a little distanced between them and without communication.
They usually made jokes and Freedie used to make visual contact with the others, and laugh with each other. In the Bowl, I don´t perceive it. I think in the last 4 songs, Freddie goes where Roger is, but without saying nothing to him.
They look weird.

What do you think?,

Thank God, the producers couldn`t overdub it.

Have a nice day to averyone!

I can resist everything, except temptation