Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Dave Grohl inducting Queen into the Rock and ROll Hall of Fame 2001

forum rss feed
Author

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone have or know where I could locate a transcript of what Foo Fighter Dave Grohl said as he was inducting Queen into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2001?

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Q56XQ1EZNILJ39H06204RD01C

Here's an mp3 of Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins making the induction, as well as Bri and Rog's acceptance speeches. Enjoy!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just listened to it twice! Almost cried. Wonderful things that Dave Grohl & Taylor Hawkins said, and Brian & Roger just were absolutely humble and lovely and it was so lovely that they had Freddie's Mom Jer accept his award. I love when Dave & Taylor were listing each of Queen's member's songs "Not many band's are graced with four hit songwriters, Brian May, We Will Rock You, Roger Taylor, It's A Kind Of Magic, John Deacon, Another One Bites The Dust"..when they got to Freddie...they went on, and on, and on listing Freddie's numerous songs, "Freddie Mercury, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, Killer Queen, Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and they said "Freddie was A True Star, the consummate entertainer, one in a million"..and the crowd cheered!, especially when they said and Freddie is "never, ever, EVER to be forgotten." I got chills... "Ladies and Gentleman, it is our UNBELIEVABLE Honor, to present to you, Queen as the next inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, Ladies & Gentleman, Queen". Just beautiful.

xyz

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just listened to it again...So wonderful! I like when Brian says "Thank you to the people of America for taking us to your hearts over the last 30 years". Lovely..to quote Roger on Queen receiving this honor, I was like him, "overwhelmed and delighted" listening to this and knowing Queen FINALLY got this MOST deserving honor.

xyz

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also have a Book put out BY the USA Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame..and it follows the history of rock & roll over the decades and lists w/photos, the MOST influential artists and music moments or events which defined each decade.

Queen...are at the TOP of the 1970's, with a great photo of the band in their early glam 70's heyday. (one error, they misspell Freddie's Real name in the pop quiz). But it's still cool.

Also, in the 1990's they list the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert as one of the most significant events of the entire decade. Nice.

xyz
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

I just listened to it twice! Almost cried. Wonderful things that Dave Grohl & Taylor Hawkins said, and Brian & Roger just were absolutely humble and lovely and it was so lovely that they had Freddie's Mom Jer accept his award. I love when Dave & Taylor were listing each of Queen's member's songs..when they got to Freddie...they went on, and on, and on listing Freddie's numerous songs and they said "Freddie was A True Star, the consummate entertainer, one in a million"..and the crowd cheered!, especially when they said and Freddie is "never, ever, EVER to be forgotten." I got chills... Just beautiful.

Arlene, I love that Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins thought so much of Queen and Freddie, but what I would like to know is, why Dave Grohl didn't vote for Freddie in Rolling Stones "Immortal" issue. (I've forgotten already who he did vote for). "never, ever, EVER to be forgotten" indeed. Hrrumph!

We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, now I remember. It was Led Zeppelin--good pick, but he could have chosen Queen instead. Someone else would have come around eventually to vote for Led Zepp.

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good_Company50 wrote:

arlene wrote:

I just listened to it twice! Almost cried. Wonderful things that Dave Grohl & Taylor Hawkins said, and Brian & Roger just were absolutely humble and lovely and it was so lovely that they had Freddie's Mom Jer accept his award. I love when Dave & Taylor were listing each of Queen's member's songs..when they got to Freddie...they went on, and on, and on listing Freddie's numerous songs and they said "Freddie was A True Star, the consummate entertainer, one in a million"..and the crowd cheered!, especially when they said and Freddie is "never, ever, EVER to be forgotten." I got chills... Just beautiful.

Arlene, I love that Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins thought so much of Queen and Freddie, but what I would like to know is, why Dave Grohl didn't vote for Freddie in Rolling Stones "Immortal" issue. (I've forgotten already who he did vote for). "never, ever, EVER to be forgotten" indeed. Hrrumph!

Artist and people like you and I (and I am a journalist for crying out loud), cannot approach RS to nominate or discuss & pay respects/tributes to an artist. RS's own staff picks the artists that make the list, then RS's staff picks people to discuss those artists. If RS's staff didn't pick Queen or Freddie for their list, that's why they didn't approach Dave Grohl to discuss Queen or Freddie.....HOWEVER.....

Q/MOJO Queen Classic Special Edition....DID approach BOTH Dave & Taylor. Dave writes a LOVELY and fond remembrance of first being mesmerized by Queen watching them perform at Live Aid...and Taylor wrote the LOVELY tribute afterward that ends the entire issue. So theer you go...and just so you know...I am from the USA, but for me and most of my colleagues and musician friends here in the USA...we all consider RS a piece of s**t anyhow...and we all consider Mojo the BEST music publication internationally and we all read it religously.

xyz
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

I like when Brian says "Thank you to the people of America for taking us to your hearts over the last 30 years".

That quote affected me the same way it did you, Arlene.

I think music publications and certain higher-ups don't realize that there are more American Queen fans than they think.

Also, Arlene, I live in Maryland too. I'd love to talk to you some time via email or something like that.

I can also relate to the problems you've been having, as I have been searching for the Mojo Queen Special as well and haven't been able to find it. It's very upsetting to think that possibly the only place in Maryland carrying it is Record and Tape Traders up in Towson.

Also, like you, I am constantly analyzing and puzzling voer why Queen never made it huge in the U.S., especially by critics' standards (and why their sales could never match that of say, Zeppelin's).

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Artist and people like you and I (and I am a journalist for crying out loud), cannot approach RS to nominate or discuss & pay respects/tributes to an artist. RS's own staff picks the artists that make the list, then RS's staff picks people to discuss those artists. If RS's staff didn't pick Queen or Freddie for their list, that's why they didn't approach Dave Grohl to discuss Queen or Freddie.....HOWEVER.....

Q/MOJO Queen Classic Special Edition....DID approach BOTH Dave & Taylor. Dave writes a LOVELY and fond remembrance of first being mesmerized by Queen watching them perform at Live Aid...and Taylor wrote the LOVELY tribute afterward that ends the entire issue. So theer you go...and just so you know...I am from the USA, but for me and most of my colleagues and musician friends here in the USA...we all consider RS a piece of s**t anyhow...and we all consider Mojo the BEST music publication internationally and we all read it religously.

Thanks Arlene for explaining how that RS list thing works. I am so glad that Dave and Taylor did write a lovely tribute in Q/Mojo and I will try my best to get a copy (then a subscription)of it.

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, the above quote was Arlene's. Still learning how to work this correctly.

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guys...I got my Q/Mojo Queen Classic Magazine at the Record & Tape Traders In Pikesville/Owings Mills, Maryland 2 Mondays/weeks ago...as of last Thursday they only had 3 left.

Record & Tape Traders are in Towson, Pikesville/Owings Mills, Glen Burnie, Severna Park, Westminster, and they just opened a store in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware.

I suggest you call one of the stores first, and they WILL hold a copy for you for 24 -48 hours if you leave your name and phone number. They do that for me all the time, with magazines and CD's as well. Good Luck!!!!

xyz

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenZeppelin wrote:

arlene wrote:

I like when Brian says "Thank you to the people of America for taking us to your hearts over the last 30 years".

I think music publications and certain higher-ups don't realize that there are more American Queen fans than they think.

Also, Arlene, I live in Maryland too. I'd love to talk to you some time via email or something like that.

I can also relate to the problems you've been having, as I have been searching for the Mojo Queen Special as well and haven't been able to find it. It's very upsetting to think that possibly the only place in Maryland carrying it is Record and Tape Traders up in Towson.

Also, like you, I am constantly analyzing and puzzling voer why Queen never made it huge in the U.S., especially by critics' standards (and why their sales could never match that of say, Zeppelin's).

Here's a topic I did several weeks back that addresses many reasons as to what hurt Queen's career and popularity in the USA, and why they stopped touring here as well...BUT I still don't think that's the WHOLE story...and I still think alot of music industry people here in the USA, past..and present..are dropping the ball...and you said what I have said..they are NOT giving The USA enough credit to see that there are TONS of Queen fans here who have always and will CONTINUE to buy Queen merchandise, see Queen tour, and LOVE Queen.

http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=498309

xyz

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a cool video interview with The Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins discussing their working with Brian! and how much they love Brian & Queen!

On same webpage is a brief interview with Lillix about Freddie too!

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/queen/artist.jhtml#Scene_1

xyz

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I transcribed Roger's & Brian's acceptance speech word for word, here it is. Both are SO Gracious and Lovely and Humble and Genuine.

I like what Roger says,..."Thank you. This is like getting a PHD. We're very overwhelmed and delighted to be here. We've had a lot of ups and downs in our career. And this is certainly a big, Big up." Then he kids, "It means actually more than all the Grammys we never got." and the audience chuckles/laughs. "And it's just great to be here in New York, after all this time, and I'll hand you over to Brian".

Brian says so lovely, "Ladies and Gentlemen and Members of The Board, thank you very much for voting us into this really, totally illustrious company. We feel very proud. Thank you to the people of America for taking us to your hearts over the last 30 years. Thank you to Taylor and Dave for making us look cool tonight. We're a little sad that Freddie and John can't be with us, but they both send their love. And we have a little surprise for you, in case you don't mind."

Roger then says happily,..."This IS a surprise, but Freddie's Mother Jer, is here tonight, and we'd love her to accept his award in place of him."

and you hear the audience cheer!

xyz
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you forgot to add the ummm's.... anyone that is a Queen fan knows that That is an actual word with Brian.. lol

Thank you

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenZeppelin wrote:

arlene wrote:

Same here, I get those familiar chills through the spine every time I watch that clip... makes me very proud to be a Queen fan.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good_Company50 wrote:

arlene wrote:

Dave's got a variety of tastes, he can give them all different honors.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 05, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

geeksandgeeks wrote:

Good_Company50 wrote:

arlene wrote:

Yeah..Dave is a fan of Queen, but Taylor is the Queen FREAK of the Foos..:-) I can't wait to hear the new Foo Fighters album, btw...double CD, one acoustic & one rockin'. I just love 'em!

Posted: 20 Apr 05, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

geeksandgeeks wrote:

Good_Company50 wrote:

arlene wrote:

Yeah..Dave is a fan of Queen, but Taylor is the Queen FREAK of the Foos..:-) I can't wait to hear the new Foo Fighters album, btw...double CD, one acoustic & one rockin'. I just love 'em!

Guys...The Q/MOJO Queen Classic Special Edition.... Has LOVELY tributes to Queen written by BOTH Dave Grohl AND Taylor Hawkins.

Dave writes a LOVELY and fond remembrance of first being mesmerized by Queen watching them perform at Live Aid...

...and Taylor wrote the LOVELY tribute afterward that ends the entire issue.

xyz