Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Most annoying Queen misconceptions?

forum rss feed
Author

Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What common misconceptions about Queen annoy you most?
For me, people thinking Roger sung Sheer Heart Attack (some people think he just sung verse 2, but they're still wrong!) generally makes me incandescent with rage. You can't have two much more different sounding people than Freddie and Roger, how the hell can you confuse them??!

And obviously the whole CLTCL/Elvis thing. Idiots.

Waggoner Will user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the Q Classic "Queen- The Inside Story" Magazine, Francis Rossi seems to be under the impression that Freddie wrote 'I want to Break Free'. I also remember an interview with Freddie from 1985 (I think) where the interviewer believed that he had written the aforementioned song. It seems that plenty of people get that wrong...poor John.

Kikyos Mom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for years most people did think all the members of Queen were Gay it was just talked about every time some one would bring up the groups name. the first thing out of there mouth would be oh thats the Gay band. yes it is annoying having to explain to people that only one person in the group was Gay.

The long and Winding Road
FriedChicken user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"For me, people thinking Roger sung Sheer Heart Attack (some people think he just sung verse 2, but they're still wrong!) "

He did sing the part 'ticulate'

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol FriedChicken. Sure he does sing that one word (and backing vocals on the chorus obviously). That doesn't make people thinking he sung the entirity of the verse vocals any less annoying...

Oh and Mazzalad, the "gay" remarks made by posters in this thread are referring to things other people said. The posters aren't agreeing with it.
And Freddie was gay not bi. As far as I know, he started out sleeping with women then gradually switched to men only, thus becoming gay. Not that it really matters, of course.

Anyway, what with the other three members being married and having several kids apiece.. they look fairly straight to me.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also main misconception, that Freddie died in 1992
(Fact it actually was 1991) and that he released his press statement 2 days before he died (FACT it was 1 Day before he died).

Also (This drives me NUTS!) misspelling of Freddie's REAL name which I have seen as Farook, Faroukk, Farok, (Fact it was Farrokh).

xyz
kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

most annoying misconception - 'But isnt Roger Taylor in Duran Duran?'
*nervous twitch*

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar
iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that Queen consisted of Freddie Mercury...

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....and John was the least important member...( if they only knew the truth..)

bassist08 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 332 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rabid Wolverine wrote:

One of the most annoying misconceptions about Queen is that they're all gay, as I was once told just look at the music video to Bohemian Rhapsody, this by a non-Queen fan. Also that if you like them you're gay.

Yep most definately. People always say that to me. I just tell them to get bent.

"The most important thing, darling, is to live a fabulous life. As long as it's fabulous, I don't care how long it is." -FM

bassist08 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 332 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 05, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kerfuffle87 wrote:

most annoying misconception - 'But isnt Roger Taylor in Duran Duran?'
*nervous twitch*

eh heh heh heh!

"The most important thing, darling, is to live a fabulous life. As long as it's fabulous, I don't care how long it is." -FM

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That We Are The Champions is a gay pride anthem song.

I'm not sure that was Freddie's intent when he wrote it.

The truth is that it could be an anything-anthem song.

The lyrics are very universal.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That BoRhap was the first music video.

And people buy into it.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the worst thing is when people talk about Queen like they were some mildly succesful, forgotten band. Like that knob out of G4. He said something like 'Queen were great, it's a shame more people don't cover their songs' or something like that. People don't (usually) cover Queen songs because they can't do them without ruining them (usually). It was patronising. He was talking like he is some huge artist and Queen were just some band left in the 80's. Queen are more significant now than he will ever be.

All the great bands after Queen have said how much they love Queen. And almost every rock band has played either WWRY or WATC at some point.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That people think that the song Sheer Heart Attack is on the Sheer Heart Attack-album. That BohRap is on the Queen II-album (because of its cover) and that Bicycle Race is on A Day At The Races-album.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate it when people talk like Freddie was gay.
He wasn't gay.
Thats all speculation.

When you see videos like I want to break free, or It's a Hard life, I don't see anything in these videos to hint at homosexuality.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
ImGoingSlightyMad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to get this all the time when I was in high school."You like Queen?..that means you must be gay."And this one would always upset me."If you listen to Queen you will get AIDS."What a stupid idiotic thing to say.I am sooo glad I'm out of school.

"People are always asking me what my lyrics mean. Well I say what any decent poet would say if you dared ask him to analyse his work: if you see it, darling, then it's there."

FM

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just one thing I find odd....whenever I say I love Queen..noone ever even mentions the word Gay..and everyone says "Cool"! At least that's one misconception/problem I haven't had.

Also I agree with Scott, as I have said MANY times before...NO one will ever be certain if Freddie was Gay or Bi-sexual, EVER...because Freddie NEVER EVER openly or publicly said so to anyone or the press. He kept his private life...private and personal..as he had every right to, it was his own business, AND...maybe he didn't know for sure himself, as many people don't throughout their lives...and so he left that door open. We can conjecture about that or the "probabilities" or "what we do know" about his female and male partners...but the REAL story RIP with Freddie.

Also...even so called Gay men...actor Anthony Perkins WAS gay...but he adored his ONLY wife...was happily married to her...didn't do it as a cover. With this ONE woman, he was in love and had SEVERAL children with her.

Actor Charles Laughton was openly gay but worshipped his ONLY wife actress Elsa Lanchester.

And we all know that at least ONE woman, Mary Austin, captured Freddie's heart. Whether he had sexual retlations with her...or not...apparently didn't matter to him...as flamebouyant or not, live in male sexual lovers including Jim Hutton, well define Gay to me...cause in the end, Freddie in his HEART left his estate, entrusted the care of his ashes, and even in life, he employed and bought a home NEXT door to him...for Mary...

I don't label people one way or another. Matters of the heart and sexual matters are too complex as it is...so Freddie was...

..as comedian Sandra Bernhardt says...who dates BOTH men and women, "I'm Not Gay, I'm Not Heterosexual, I'm a People person. Whoever captures my heart and fancy at the time...that's all that matters."

xyz

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty much straightforward fact that by the time he died he was 100% gay and had been for some years (and presumably would have remained so, had he lived).
I personally don't care what sexuality he was but some people seem to hate the idea of him being gay so much that they try and say he wasn't, or that he was only bi (as if to say "which isn't as bad as being gay")

Posted: 19 Apr 05, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last Cyborg wrote:

I think it's pretty much straightforward fact that by the time he died he was 100% gay and had been for some years (and presumably would have remained so, had he lived).
I personally don't care what sexuality he was but some people seem to hate the idea of him being gay so much that they try and say he wasn't, or that he was only bi (as if to say "which isn't as bad as being gay")

Actually, I think Freddie was probably Gay...I'm just saying that because he chose NOT to out himself or state publicly whether he was Gay or Bi..we really have NO right to say one way or the other. But if he was not 100%, but 200% Gay...I still don't care and think he was the greatest singer/performer ever...and the hottest, sexiest man I've ever seen. take it from me...I've worked in the arts most of my life...so I've met my share of VERY Openly Gay men...they are real humans with feelings like evrybody else. Some are bad people, like bad hetero men, and some are good, like good hetero men. As long as they are kind and respectful to me and other people...they have my vote!

I like what actress Helen Hayes said about Bigotry towards Gays and people of color years ago to which she had NO patience, (good for her!)

She said "the only color that matters to me...is green" (meaning money!). She used to laugh about that because people in the arts are so much more open and understanding of this.

This Very morning on NBC's today show, reporter Matt Lauer said there is still of all places, more stigma in sports, about being Gay, than anywhere else. And that like 99% of gay athletes refuse to out themselves for fear of ruining their careers out of bigoted backlash...and the reason for this report..it was about a at one time, VERY successful USA pro boxer...who recently Openly outed himself as gay...and he then saw his VERY successful career...end...as no sports agent would book any other boxer to fight him in the ring...why..like he was going to make a pass at his opponent?

So stupid. Let me tell you I am 100% straight..and 100% of my problems in the workplace..have always been from 100& heterosexual men, sexually harassing me inappropriaetly in the workplace/my job. So that's a crock of bulls**t.

If a person is professional in their place of employment, then whether they are straight,
bi-sexual, or gay...they won't do anything "sexual" to you anyhow...because it's inappropriate, period.

Now that poor boxer has NO career and is blacklisted in pro boxing.

xyz