Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > When Did Queen First Let You Down ?

forum rss feed
Author

Q-Nick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 356 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simple question.....

I'm going to be boring and say "Hot Space". The whole Musical Direction of the Album (Synth/Drum Machines/Funky Bass) just sounds outdated and ruined the album. Whilst not being a fan of Synthesisers, I thought they were used well on "The Game", and wouldn't have minded a similiar type of album in 1982. However, what we got was something completely unexpected; I admire the brave decision to put the record out, but it just doesn't do it for me.

www.freewebs.com/queentour2005

http://www.freewebs.com/queentour2005/car.htm

Queen + Paul Rodgers :: 2005 Tour Artwork and Bootleg Listing Sites
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't mean to start the discussion again but it was in fact when Brian and Roger announced the Queen Tour 2005.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sonja wrote:

I don't mean to start the discussion again but it was in fact when Brian and Roger announced the Queen Tour 2005.

I agree sort of...It's like this, had they announced a Queen tour as Brian, Roger...and John, ONLY..then I still wouldn't have felt the same without Freddie, but I would NOT feel that Queen had let me down.

I'm not unhappy that they're touring..it was/is the entire manner in how this was put together and planned, done, without John, and with Paul Rodgers. There is my 2 cents worth for ya.

xyz
written_in_the_stars user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 357 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

Sonja wrote:

I agree sort of...It's like this, had they announced a Queen tour as Brian, Roger...and John, ONLY..then I still wouldn't have felt the same without Freddie, but I would NOT feel that Queen had let me down.

I'm not unhappy that they're touring..it was/is the entire manner in how this was put together and planned, done, without John, and with Paul Rodgers. There is my 2 cents worth for ya.

I really understand what you both mean, but I think it was a good thing from Brian and Roger to call it a "Queen and Paul Rodgers Tour" instead of a "Queen Tour". They know they're not the Queen they were before... I think that's a good thing from them.

yes it was plain to see, yes it was meant to be...
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the musical

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When they didn't come to 'Wetten Dass..?' in 1989. But we all found out two years later why they didn't...

Live life to the full!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to go with the musical. To be honest it's not such a bad idea, but all the singers I've seen are crap. The costumes give me constipation. Lame lame lame lame lame lame lame (sing those last 7 words instead of 'no no no no no no no' in Bo Rhap).

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
XcessQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 381 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... they first let me down when they replaced Staffell with Freddie and Deacon...

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one word: 5ive

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it's not just the "calling themselves Queen" thing. It's also the fact that they don't record new stuff but go on tour after 20 years. I just don't like band reunions although this isn't quite a reunion but I think there comes a time when you should give things a rest.
They had their time, it was brilliant and it's gone.
But they don't have to remind anyone of how great Queen were by doing a tour. The world knows that!

I just think that they've become a little too big-headed with all the success of the musical and all the tv-ads and stuff and they need more ego-boosts!
I think the musical is a good thing tho, better than a proper tour and I think they should leave it to that.

5ive and the tv ads were also a big disappointment!

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like either the musical or the tour ideas...But I don't know if by doing these things Queen let me down. They felt like doing it, and they have the right to do it. Good if it makes them and many fans happy. I just don't really like it... Regarding the tour, of course if it had just been Brian and Roger, and possibly John, it would have been totally different for me.

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teaming up with 5ive then this current tour.

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vivival wrote:

-Hot Space
-Another One Bites the Dust
-"Queen"+Paul Rodgers
-Freddie Mercury being a gross, discusting gay man.
-The 80's
-ect.

It says on your profile that youre a girl and 13 years old, but I dont care. If you dont like the idea that Freddie was gay, then get your stupid bitch ass out of this website and never post your stupid ass comments again.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 5ive debacle at the 2000 Brits that were aired on VH1 USA.
Robbie Williams(the UK equal of Justin Tinkercake)
Roger and Brian's Pepsi ads with the high priced sluts Britney(I mean Bitchney), Beyonce(Diana Ross' lost daughter) and Pink(a soul singer who thinks she is now a punk rocker).
John Deacon left when the time was right.
However, teaming with Paul Rodgers has saved Brian and Roger IMHO!

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When Brian started banging on about how great and talented Britney Spears was.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Playing South Africa
A Kind of Magic album

some of the more recent things you mention didn't bother me because by then I had lowered my expectations.

--Egret

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing that's bothered me is that they'll collaborate with anybody! I really wonder why they thought teaming up with Britney Spears, Pink and Beyonce was a good idea.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't want to sound like a prude, but queen never let me down. even hot space was decent, but i agree it would have been nice if they kept the ball rolling, like say another 'game' type album. the first 8 were brilliant, so 'hot space' was probably a let down. as far as their newer stuff, i like the fact queen's name is back out there with the musical, and with paul, i know on new york radio stations people are looking forward to the tour, it's been a long time around here since queen been mentioned as much as they are now, so i'm happy their doing it.

greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mrjordy wrote:

GREASERKAT - First, it is spelled "disgusting". Second, if you're old enough to know what "gay" means, then I suppose you're old enough to know what "go fuck yourself and get off of our notice boards" means.

Are you reffering to me, cause you put my sn on your comment. And if you are, Im not that one who mispelled "disgusting". So im confised here, who are you reffering to? Me or vivival?

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Slightly Dazed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 05, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like most people here, I think Queen collaborating with 5ive, britney, pink etc was a really bad idea....

how ever, if it wasn't for Queen and 5ive performing at the brits, my younger sister wouldn't be a massive fan of Queen now! Oh how i remember the moment like it was yesterday. (WARNING:if you get bored easily dont read on)!

We were both sat in the living room watching 5ive, when all of a sudden brian and roger stormed on stage, she turned to me and said "look Lizzie its the dudes you like, rolling stones or whatever they're called!" LMAO @ Rolling Stones! I soon informed her about who they were, but she pretended not to be interested. The next day I came home from work to find her looking through my Queen albums! She hasn't looked back since! Thankfully her 5ive phase soon passed and she now loves Queen nearly as much as me! So if it wasn't for 5ive....

But now you can kiss my ass goodbye