Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Please put here your review of Queen in Budapest

forum rss feed
Author

Mercury-Alive user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you tell me somethin' about the setlist

Please bring the Queenboxes to my home
AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems like they played Long Away and Tavaszi Svel instead of '39. 118 minutes.

http://queentour2005.blogspirit.com

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had a feeling Budapest was gonna be one of the better shows...Koln will be too! Mark my words.

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What did they play?

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty sure AC posted what they played...also a link that shows the setlist...Just a simple click away..

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to log in for this site, so can't read it.

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Typical set list
no 39'
they played Tavaszi Svel and Long away, which should be one the more in demand bootlegs, hopefully it will be a free one.

MY GOD spell it write.
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it was a very enjoyable show. Long Away was actually expected as it was played at the soundcheck. We didn't expect Brian to forget about '39 though :-)

They're considering to do one more Paul Rodgers' song but I can't remember the name :( Probably instead of Feel Like Makin' Love.

Damn, now I'm actually considering going to Stockholm too :)

Breakthru_Sep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a GREAT show. Very few glitches, Rog was perfect and very much in shape. His performance in "Let There Be Drums" was very impressive, much better than the previous shows I listened to. I'd say I'm in Love With My Car has also improved, the ending with more drums.

Paul Rodgers seems to have completely recovered, great performance. He also joined in to Hammer to Fall after the first verse (slow part), dunno if he did in the previous shows before he had problems with his throat.

Well Brian was Brian as we kmow him :) Not much to say except that he seemed much more comfortable and confident with Long Away, but I'd love to hear him play '39 as well.

All in all it was a great show, and they really rocked the place (esp. Rog's bass drum tore the place apart)

Breakthru, reporting from Budapest :)

Get on your bikes and ride!
Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 05, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Burak Sepici: Paul Rodgers seems to have completely recovered, great performance. He also joined in to Hammer to Fall after the first verse (slow part), dunno if he did in the previous shows before he had problems with his throat.

Paul did the same in Antwerpen (20-04) and it was great too, don't know about the other concerts. If anybody got it bootlegged maybe some trading can be done... Let us know cus it sounds like a really good show to me :P

MRACNI user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

was that show fr real.I don't know I'm speechles!

AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Yes, it was a very enjoyable show. Long Away was actually expected as it was played at the soundcheck.

Which songs were played at the soundcheck?

And about Long Away, did he play only the first verses or the entire song?

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
jona1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ages ago brian said that this show would be 2.5 hours long and there would be no support act and they would play the heavier rock songs of queens back cat.

has this happened or not, at 118 mins long i think not. shame

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Long Away was one verse only.

150 minutes... well, you shouldn't believe in everything Brian says :-) But it was 125 minutes including both intros and outro so that's 118 minutes of live music.

Let There Be Drums was normal, not special in any way - it always sounds MUCH better live than on any record.

igormiskovic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was perfect

Love has become a four letter word

It's past its best and seldom heard

Love's left on the shelf like cigarettes

It's bad for your health

Cross-New Dark Ages

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was fantastic show! Long away and Tavasz szei instead of '39. Paul was great, also Brian and Roger (great strenght, like he was 20 years younger). Also I must praise rest of the band (Danny was great on bass!). The show that I will remember forever!

I think I'm banana tree...
Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 05, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But... Hey has anyone recorded it? Let me know I've got Antwerpen mayb we can trade.

BudapestReview user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 25 Apr 05, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Queen fan from the days of old (well, from the '80s but he always preferred their '70s material) now living in Budapest discovers that two former band members are doing a tour with a gig here in Hungary. What's more they've chosen Paul Rodgers as their vocalist. So, he buys a few CDs to add to Sheer Heart Attack (the rest of his vinyl/CD collection having been left in the UK/ given to family members), pops down to his local music store for a couple of tickets and hey presto he's there at the Budapest concert on Saturday.....

As you may have guessed, I'm probably not what you would regard as a "diehard fan". But Queen used to be my favourite band and I listening to my new acquired CDs I like their music as much as ever! I can't compare their Budapest concert with any of their others as I haven't been to any (not even back in the '80s). But I what I can provide is a more dispassionate view of the concert. So here it is.

Well, the concert started bang on time at 8.30 (ie 30 minutes after the time printed on the ticket - this is the norm in Hungary). I turned up around 8 as I find it hard to break English habits. Unfortunately our seats were poorly located. Did I say seats? Yes, what a mistake - I hadn't been to the venue before, thought we might not be able to see well if we stood, not used to bland arenas. As it turned out the standing area was half empty so we could even have brought a blanket and had a picnic. A lot of seats were empty too; the venue was somewhere between two-thirds and three-quarters full.

The gig started well, or at least I liked it. It helped that I knew what to expect (I'd read the reviews in the press, seen the track list, listened to some Bad Company - I was already familiar with Free). Unfortunately the audience was pretty quiet (except for the front of the standing section which seemed lively enough). I think most of the Hungarians were not familiar with the older material (except perhaps for the songs on Greatest Hits). The stage set was nothing special - the lighting rig did its job well but there wasn't much else to attract the eye. The renditions of Tie Your Mother Down and Fat Bottomed Girls were good, but Feel Like Making Love was perhaps the early highlights for me. I was beginning to enjoy the combination of Paul Rodgers' clean and powerful voice, Brian May's characteristic guitar, and the reasonably solid back-up from the rest of the band.

But then a pattern of inconsistency began to emerge. What I mean is that some songs worked but others clearly didn't. This really struck me when they played 'I Want to Break Free'. Its not a song which I like much anyway, but the delivery and performance was so flat that I actually yawned. The problem was not just that Paul Rodger's voice is not suited to this lighter pop fare. The performance of the band of the whole was missing a few vital elements - mainly those that Freddie used to provide.

The middle section of the concert without Paul Rodgers offered a change of pace, but had its own problems. While Brian and Roger have voices which are fine in their element (indeed, I really like Roger's performances on the early Queen albums), they can really get out of their depth with unsuitable material. So while I (and clearly the rest of the audience) enjoyed the intimate section with Brian on his own and was also glad to see Roger up at the front, their delivery was sometimes rather poor.

A few poorer songs followed - 'Radio Ga Ga', 'Can't Get Enough of Your Love', 'A Kindg of Magic'. And I was somewhat disappointed by Bohemian Rhapsody. Yes, the video of Freddie was a nice idea and rather touching, but it was then hard to adjust back to Paul delivering the latter half of the song. Maybe it seemed like a climax to the rest of the audience, but not to me. I found it rather strange to end the pre-encore set on such a note.

And so to the encore. I was really looking forward to this. It was good, but somehow didn't quite match

Posted: 25 Apr 05, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say:
Highlights: Love of my life, The show must go on,I'm in love with my car, I want it all

Posted: 25 Apr 05, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I forgot All right now as highlights!
All in all, it was fantastic show. Videos from Queen early years and lights were fantastic, as well as heaven videos and stars