Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Why Did They Cut Seagull From Setlist?

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seagull is one of my favorite Paul Rodgers/Bad Company Songs. Why did they CUT it from the setlist? This was on the Queen+Paul Rodgers site today.

"'Seagull', which no longer features in the set and features Roger Taylor on bongos, it taken from an earlier show in Barcelona. The band felt it was too good to be over looked."

If Brian and the band think the song IS that good, why did they remove it?



xyz
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe they thought it didn't really fit in the setlist, which I agree with.
Great song .. but Paul has better songs that fit the setlist better (Wishing Well..anybody? .. and please PLEASE bring back Little Bit of Love!)

Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, shitcan AKOM....


"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"



Sean Connery
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Brixton show basically stopped for too long - the momentum that they had was lost and it took a lot out of them to get it all moving again. '39 and LOML were two too many acoustic numbers in the first place.


Benn
Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen, Hankster! I love "Little Bit of Love"!!!

DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They replaced Seagull with Say It's Not True when Paul was having problems with his voice earlier in the Tour.

I guess they liked doing Say It's Not True better so have stuck with it.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually they ARE considering to play Wishing Well. But it would be probably instead of one of PR's songs (Feel Like Making Love).

nibznik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i like feel like making love it nice


"I am Jack The Pumpkin King!" - Jack The Pumpkin King
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but in the entire Paul Rodgers repetoire, Seagull is my all time favorite song next to Silver Blue & Gold.

Seagull for Paul, is like Love Of My Life for Queen. Acoustic or not...it's STUNNING!

Tell you of the dozen some times I have seen The Allman Brothers Band...it's NOT the hard rockers songs that everybody goes nuts over...the audience always practically begs Gregg Allman to come out from behind his Hammond Organ, to play...

..."Melissa" on acoustic guitar..and it always gets the best respose and biggest cheers from the audience.

They are cutting out a major gem with the removal of Seagull. It's just exqusite and I heard the version on the Queen+Paul Rodgers website and Paul and Brian & Roger sound magnificent!


xyz
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nah .. I really think they've to add more rockier songs..Wishing Well, Now I'm Here, Headlong..
Say It's Not True is nice .. but together with LomL, 39 and These Are The Days, it slows the show too much down.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Actually they ARE considering to play Wishing Well. But it would be probably instead of one of PR's songs (Feel Like Making Love).

Where did you hear that Mr. Scully?

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seagull, Seagull, Seagull... I want it put back in the setlist! And do Silver Blue & Gold too, and Oh Atlanta!


xyz
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry..but I don't think it "slows the momentum" of the setlist or show. As LOMY or Is This The World We Created, never did, and currenlty LOML is one of the tour favorites.

Just because something is acoustic, doesn't take anything away from it.

If they tour the USA, sure I want the hard rock songs. I hope they do Hammer To Fall, TYMD, WWRY, WATC, TSMGO, and Pauls' stuff like Bad Company, Radioactive, Rock & Roll Fantasy, Movin' On, & Gone Gone, Gone---Which I Love!!!!

oh I would love Paul to add "Shooting Star" which is sort of acoustic, and a little rocky too.

But I want Seagull back. It's the best song he ever did...and again Silver Blue & Gold.


xyz
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arlene wrote:

Sorry..but I don't think it "slows the momentum" of the setlist or show. As LOMY or Is This The World We Created, never did, and currenlty LOML is one of the tour favorites.

Just because something is acoustic, doesn't take anything away from it.

If they tour the USA, sure I want the hard rock songs. I hope they do Hammer To Fall, TYMD, WWRY, WATC, TSMGO, and Pauls' stuff like Bad Company, Radioactive, Rock & Roll Fantasy, Movin' On, & Gone Gone, Gone---Which I Love!!!!

oh I would love Paul to add "Shooting Star" which is sort of acoustic, and a little rocky too.

But I want Seagull back. It's the best song he ever did...and again Silver Blue & Gold.

Jeez Arlene, I thought you hated Paul Rodgers (see previous posts). It's good to see you are coming along. And Oh Atlanta is a fine Little Feat song.


Shake it Sugaree
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 02:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute - apparently they were discussing this before the Budapest concert at the rehearsal. Don't know if Wishing Well didn't work well but for now they kept Feel Like Making Love in the setlist (and I'm glad for that).

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bad Co. did a song called Oh Atlanta. Mick Ralphs wrote it. It's on Desolation Angels. Great tune!

Alison Krauss did a more honky tonk version of it a few years back that was a decent hit in the US.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Scully wrote:

Knute - apparently they were discussing this before the Budapest concert at the rehearsal. Don't know if Wishing Well didn't work well but for now they kept Feel Like Making Love in the setlist (and I'm glad for that).


Cool! I think it would go down a storm, but FLML is more well known.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd go nuts if they played WISHING WELL. Love that track!!!!
About SEAGULL... I think it's better tha Say It's Not true. Sorry Roger!!!

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jericho05 wrote:

arlene wrote:

Sorry..but I don't think it "slows the momentum" of the setlist or show. As LOMY or Is This The World We Created, never did, and currenlty LOML is one of the tour favorites.

Just because something is acoustic, doesn't take anything away from it.

If they tour the USA, sure I want the hard rock songs. I hope they do Hammer To Fall, TYMD, WWRY, WATC, TSMGO, and Pauls' stuff like Bad Company, Radioactive, Rock & Roll Fantasy, Movin' On, & Gone Gone, Gone---Which I Love!!!!

oh I would love Paul to add "Shooting Star" which is sort of acoustic, and a little rocky too.

But I want Seagull back. It's the best song he ever did...and again Silver Blue & Gold.

Jeez Arlene, I thought you hated Paul Rodgers (see previous posts). It's good to see you are coming along. And Oh Atlanta is a fine Little Feat song.


There are TWO entirely different songs called Oh Atlanta. The song written by and for Little Feat...and the one written by and for Bad Company. Like there are TWO entirely different songs called Dreams, one written by Gregg Allman for The Allman Brothers Band, and one by and for Fleetwood Mac.

BC's "Oh Atlanta" is Great!

BTW I NEVER EVER said I hated Paul Rodgers...I also said I saw him in concert 1993 in his Muddy Waters Tribute Tour which he performed great.

I just was voicing my opinion that, persnally I had wanted Brian, Roger & if possible, John to tour as Queen and for them to do their own lead vocals. Rodgers is also NOT one of my ALL time favorite singers...but that deosn't mean I don't like him. There are TONS of singers that I like alot...I just don't classify them as my ALL TIME favorites.

And...I had forgotten about "Gone Gone Gone". That BC song is SO great. Really wish they would add that too.


xyz
Jimi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They may have cut it due to the crowd reaction to RMT appearing to play Bongos. At Brixton and the download it does seem to dilute the song. NOT because of the playing but of the crowd reaction. Maybe they feel its uncomfortable and detracts from the meaning. Just a thought....