Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Questions(for drummers in particular)

forum rss feed
Author

Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is anybody here a drummer? If so, do you know how Roger got that sound out of his toms from the WWRY dvd? They have a dead ringy sound to them. I love the sound and ive always wanted it. Thanks.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
yamamamia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 05, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The toms are single-headed for one. That style makes them "dugga dugga" sounding. No way for the drum to resonate fuller. If you like Dio, Vinny Appices' drums are the same style. Even old Kiss. I prefer double-headed myself. Snare tuned looser on top and bottom. Thanks!

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rog always said his preference was to have the bottom skin looser than the top skin, usually for his snare, but often for his mounted toms also (and his roto-toms?). otherwise, he said, you might as well be hitting a cylinder of lard.

I tried this, and although when both loose I don't think its quite like hitting lard, I much prefer the resonance it gives, it has a nice rattle too from the snare.

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like a nice kit you got there by the way.

How comes your FreeWebs site doesn't work?

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I apologise...

I did indeed mean having the top skin tighter rather than the bottom skin tighter, wrote it round the wrong way.

I actually have that Rhythm magazine too, is it the one with a bit from Taylor Hawkins (from the Foo's) talking about his favourite Queen drum tracks?

Joker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my favourite drumtrack has to be now im here. especially when its live

Why?

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright thanks guys. Ill keep trying to get that sound with different kinds of tuning

GreatkingSam, thanks for the complements. That is an old picture though. In that pic I have an 18 inch Zildjan Oriental, but now I recently bought an 18 inch Wuhan china to accompany the Zildjan. Basically my set right now looks almost identical to Rogers Hot Space setup. And yes, for some reason the link doesnt work for my site. Im not sure why. I may have put it in wrong, but ill tell you when I fix it.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You just have to remove the caps from your website in order to get it to work.

http://www.freewebs.com/fightfromtheinside

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 28 Apr 05, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright thanks. Im not finished with the site though. I might start a new better one...