Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > MP3

forum rss feed
Author

wetree21 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 05, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont see the big deal about people getting so upset about using MP3 files intead of FLAC....These are Bootlegs they dont have a super sound quality anyway!!!!!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't see anything bad or wrong in mp3 actually... But that's just my own opinion.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MP3 isn't a great problem.
The only problem is that if you want to trade with it they don,t accept it.

Banshee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly. When I'm gonna trade with someone in the future he/she won't accept my from MP3 converted WAV's.

Zo zachtjes als het regent, de verliefden doet het niets

Laat niemand ze vertellen dat het giet

Posted: 01 May 05, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that most of us here are downloading files for trading in future...

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not that mp3 is "wrong", it's just that FLAC is better.

If someone offered you a VHS copy of something, you'd be happy. If they could give you a DVD of it, it would be better.

See?

richie moshpit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see. Most bootleg stuff isn't recorded at great quality anyway so there shouldn't be any difference between the mp3 and flac file. I challenge anybody to tell me any audible difference between a flac and mp3 file from a bootleg

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This should be a non-issue. If you like flac - fine. If you like mp3. - fine. The world is big enough for both formats.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 01 May 05, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right. So where are the FLAC format concerts? =)

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 01 May 05, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

richie moshpit wrote:

I don't see. Most bootleg stuff isn't recorded at great quality anyway so there shouldn't be any difference between the mp3 and flac file. I challenge anybody to tell me any audible difference between a flac and mp3 file from a bootleg

Do you listen to your bootlegs on computer speakers or on a decent stereo system?

I can tell the difference immediately between music I have on mp3 and music I have gotten through flac/shn/ape. Mp3s sound tinny when played on my stereo, and since that is how I listen to most of my music, I prefer quality.

Mp3 has a purpose; flac has a purpose. They don't need to be mutually exclusive, nor does one side need to tell me the other is wrong.

DJ's the man we love the most
villafan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

speaking of the quality

what are these encoded at.??

128 or 192

Villafan

Posted: 02 May 05, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

richie moshpit wrote:

Agree. You must have God's ears to hear big difference between FLAC and mp3 if you listen to third copy of audience recorded bootleg!

And by the way I have pirate DVD releases of Rock In Rio and some other releases - and there's no any big difference to officially released VHS in sound quality! And yes some of the downloaded recordings I listen on computer, I don't need to listen not very quality Dortmund '79 on my stereo system. Anyway, I'd like if all files here would be published in both formats - it'd be more easy and better for guys who likes mp3 and to whom who likes flac.

Posted: 02 May 05, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MR.RICO wrote:

the only idiots that like mp3 recordings are the ones that will sit and beg all day on this messageboard for free recordings. mp3s are for retards.

We love you too.

These 'idiots' uploads their giant collections and replies on requests in mp3/flac for such idi... sorry, guys like you. If you have something against of free recordings, what are you doing in this forum then?!

Posted: 02 May 05, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

richie moshpit wrote:

So, where are you form? I'll pay you a visit if you're close. Dare to put a bottle of Scotsch on it? I'm gonna win this one. ;)

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My apologies, I thought this was a proper discussion. IF it's just name-calling, I'll leave you to it.

teejay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My 2penniesworth -
I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the original and the care used by whoever transfers to MP3. If its done well there can be very little real noticeable difference - although there will be a difference due to MP3's loss. By its very nature MP3 will be inferior to Wav due to the amount lost, and I have found that MP3 can tend to highlight deficiencies in poorer recordings more than wav does.

One of the benefits of MP3 is that I've been able to get hold of a load of shows on here all in MP3 (and many many thanks to the kind souls who upload it all) - were I to wait for Flac I'd still be waiting.

At the end of the day though we all have a choice, if you dont want to have MP3 dont have it, but if you want a copy of Freddie singing a few lines of I'm in love with my car & can only get it on MP3 then you have a decision to make.
Oh and dont forget, just coz its flac dont mean it was recorded as wav - could have been transfered from MP3 to wav to flac - lots of stuff on Easytree used to get pulled for that very reason.

thankstogravity user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I've said this before and I guess I'll say it again. The key to understanding why many people dislike mp3 is understanding how mp3 works. Without getting overly-technical, here it is:

mp3 files are small because data is lost when encoding them. That's why mp3 is called a "lossy" format. The lower the bitrate, the more data is lost. That's why 128 mp3 often doesn't sound as "rich" or "full" as a 320 mp3.

The real problem comes when people burn a disc with mp3-sourced files and then at a later time extract the music from the disc and re-encode into mp3 again. Now, even more data is lost. Each time this happens, there is generational degradation in the music. Collectors don't like this. As has been pointed out, many audience recordings aren't of great quality in the first place. So who wants to get nth generation mp3 files that sound even worse than the original tape?

Encoding music to wav files does not result in a loss of data, and therefore when done correctly (checking fingerprint files, etc.) it produces a copy of identical quality to the original. The number of generations should not matter. (FLAC is a way to "zip" wav files to make them easier to transfer.) Yes, it takes longer, but you know that you're getting the best possible quality.

I hope this helps.

P.S. What I don't understand is why people who want to share shows in mp3 don't torrent them. I see everyone debating Rapidshare and whatnot, but do any of you realize that you can torrent mp3s?

thankstogravity user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha, I see Teejay and I had similar thoughts and I somehow didn't see his post until just now! Sorry.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 02 May 05, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MR.RICO wrote:

Penetration_Guru

you are an idiot. you are a newbie collector. dont act like you know what you're talking about.

Mmmm... PenGuru is an old time poster here at Queenzone... way before Queen toured with Paul Rodgers and people like you discovered this forum. I don't know how old he is or if he's been collecting for 10, 20 or 35 years, but he's well respected here and the things he says are mostly accurate, give or take a few sarcasm... :)

I might not have that many posts but I've read this and previous incarnations of this forum since 1997 or so (queen.net, queenrocker, queenzone before the 2001 crash, etc). People come and go, but few members stay for good and actually have a reputation in here.

We should all understand each other. The new ones want to get everything either way possible. You should not expect this to happen just that easy. This is an already established community of some sort and there are rules. Old time posters have learned to ignore stupid posts but one in every 100th one... well, everything has a limit, hehe :).

Just keep it clean.. Let's try to say what we mean and mind our own business without falling into Name Calling...

Sincerely,

Wiley

Posted: 03 May 05, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't touch our dear P_G!

Why I don't like torrent? Because download rate is so low, but upload rate is so high... :) I can download whole concert from RapidShare just in a couple of hours, if I'd do the same as torrents it might take a whole day sometimes. As I wrote above I don't have anything against flac or torrents, but I like mp3s and zip/rar files on RapidShare! Maybe because I ain't gonna make an ultimate collection of all existing Queen lives and don't care much about quality. All studio tracks I have on CD and don't need to download them in mp3 or flac.