Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > NEWCASTLE REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE

forum rss feed
Author

jona1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a night.

the place was rockin. didn't think it was a sell out till it started. loads of empty seats then the intro started and it was full.

Rodgers came up on to the catwalk singing reach.
then brian kicked in with TYMD.

The light show was amazing.the glitter ball when brian played horizon class. millions of stars filling the arena, a site to behold.

Paul was not on stage a lot, i'd say less than half the show. his voice top notch though

He didn't sing hammer to fall or i want it all,

There was no Feel like making love and no Show must go on.

and they still need to drop a kind of magic

what did brian say during hammer to fall somthing about fuck the dvd / cameras this is just for you or something like that. what did he say / mean? did not understand this.

This show rocked anyone saying different wants shot with shit.

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah thought he had a few tears during love of my life.

we did sing it that loud i think freddie would have heard us

Simoriah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 896 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds good.
I feel they need to drop a Kind of Magic and Lost Horizon, but that's because the first isn't strong and the 2nd I can't stand. Just my opinion.

"This tour will be bigger than bigness itself. It will make Ben Hur look like the Muppets."

~ Roger Taylor ~

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drop AKOM

but keep last Horizon that was well class with the mirror ball

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was up at block 204 seat 113 and what a view.

I tell you what though, there was a lot of camcorders in the standing area.

as soon as the lights dipped they all went on. i'd say there was at least 20 may be more.

there was one on the side on the standing area on the rasied disabled ramp bit, sitting in a wheel chair recording it with a handheld camcorder.

so no wonder brian was a bit pissed off.

security was a joke

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i wonder if that bloke turned it off

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'am off to watch the dvd's i have downloaded off here now.

yes its 12.46am but i've no work tomorrow and iam am still up a hight with the concert.

grandma2jaret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please....don't lose Lost Horizon...it was awesome and so good to have it in the set.

I will fault NOTHING...it was a wonderful evening. I reserved judgement on Paul Rodgers before I saw him...but the combination of Queen and Paul Rodgers was excellent and I really enjoyed the old Free numbers.

They were all so exhausted at the end...they could not have given any more..as for losing any of it...why????

Ruth Harnish
salQF user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole show was just un-bloody-believable.
I was kinda suprised you didn't see more of Paul but when he was on the guy did good.

I'm trying to think of any 'highlights' but everything was just amazing. I still can't believe I was actually there.
Love of My Life was very good indeed - it sounded as if every single person was joining in.
These are the Days & Bohemian Rhapsody were very nicely done but was the video meant to come in that late on Bo Rap?

I really wish they had played Sunshine of Your Love all the way through though.

And yes, that glitter ball was brilliant :)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Brian nearly threw a fit when someone brought a camera to the concert?

Luckily Brian didn't react like Axl Rose does when he sees someone with a camera.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mcm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 03 May 05, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Brian objects to camera's at all - especially since he is on stage and having your photo taken is part and parcel of being a rock star. Occcasionally, he even puts fans photo's on his website. What he was objecting to was the bloke having the camera light permanently on.

ianmur user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Took my 11-year-old son and he hit the nail on the head during Bohemian Rhapsody when he said `Is this a famous moment in music history?'

Beautifully done and as perfect a tribute to the memory of FM as is possible.

Highlights _ Paul Rodgers' voice _ he's up there with the very best in rock. Clear, bluesy and wonderully improvised.

Only disappointment was the lack of Bad Company material. Where was Feel Like Making Lovce.

Hate to log on in future days and see that the rest of the country is treated to this timeless classic plus The Show Must Go On.

Suppose that's the price Newcastle has to pay for being the opening night of the UK Tour.

Anyway don't want to end on a churlish note. Atmosphere was very special indeed, sound quality just about perfect, light show wonderful and the night ........ something all of us will remember for a very long time.

Now how about a Queen/Paul Rodgers studio album?

dg22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to put a downer on last night's gig, but for me Paul Rodgers spoilt the show!

It was the first Queen gig I have been to as I was too young to see them first time around. However I have seen numerous pub and club acts perform Queen songs with more skill, talent and quality than the 'out of his league' Rodgers.

His pub singer style completely ruined AKOM and his laughable Vic Reeves style singing in Champions just left me with a bitter taste. As for his Fu(k up in the encore Sunshine of your Love - well there is no other word for that but embarrassing !

Why did they need him?

Brian and Rodger did a fantastic job on their own. The highlight was the middle part of the gig where it was just them two. Love of My Life was truely amazing and emotional and Hammer to Fall was out of this world.

The songs were right, the set was right, the atmosphere was right but Rodgers was wrong ! Sorry boys. The excellence of BM and RT saved the night from being a total waste of money !

ianmur user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry pal but you're way of the mark. Didn't you realise a significant proportion of the crowd went BECAUSE of Paul Rodgers not in spite of him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Queen but to compare PR to a pub singer is to display your incredible ignorance.

He's not known as The Voice of Rock for nothing.

Of course, he's not Freddie but he doesn't try to be. He signs in his own imitable fashion and from where I was, the Free and Bad Company material went down as well as any Queen stuff.

Maybe those who saw Queen as a singles pop group were disappointed with last night but true rock fans with an appreciation of the blues were just thrilled to see three musicians of the highest calibre sharing the same stage.

Believe me, Freddie would have been rocking upstairs.

Albertstan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry dg22. You illustrate the difference between being a fan of Queen and a fan of great Music. Take your blinkers off and enjoy it for what it is. PR has in my opinion the most fantastic voice and can almost be dubbed "the voice of Rock"

If music be the food of love.....Turn the bloody volume up!
hexbaz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

taylorgaga (Begg) wrote:

i actually think when he saw the cam-he stopped and waited so the guy could get a shot but he did say "fuck the videos and the cams this is for you guys" hence the reason he was on the very edge of the catwalk when he started the fast version of HTF! he was basically saying i dont give a dam about what people say bout cams, get em out for this shot! i was at the front of the catwalk and it was a hell of a view!
Agreed - I think his remark was aimed at the idiot(s) using a video light. I was surprised to see this - stage lighting is more than adequate for modern cameras, and the use of a light (assuming the guy is close enough for it to have ANY effect) would wash out the stae lighting anyway.

On a similar note, I am always surprised by the dick heads who leave their flash enabled on stills cameras. Most of the time they are too far away to have any effect, and in the unlikely event of the camera being close enough, the flash wipes out any ambience the stage lighting is intended to produce.

The end result is that both flash and video lights only serve to piss of the performers. I wish people could be less selfish, I really do.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dg22 wrote:

Sorry to put a downer on last night's gig, but for me Paul Rodgers spoilt the show!

It was the first Queen gig I have been to as I was too young to see them first time around. However I have seen numerous pub and club acts perform Queen songs with more skill, talent and quality than the 'out of his league' Rodgers.

His pub singer style completely ruined AKOM and his laughable Vic Reeves style singing in Champions just left me with a bitter taste. As for his Fu(k up in the encore Sunshine of your Love - well there is no other word for that but embarrassing !

Why did they need him?

Brian and Rodger did a fantastic job on their own. The highlight was the middle part of the gig where it was just them two. Love of My Life was truely amazing and emotional and Hammer to Fall was out of this world.

The songs were right, the set was right, the atmosphere was right but Rodgers was wrong ! Sorry boys. The excellence of BM and RT saved the night from being a total waste of money !

I don't trust any review that's copied and paisted from one thread to another.
Smells like an agenda to me. And sounds like someone who wasn't ever fond of Paul.

That's fine, you have every right just like BPP to not like him but don't pretend that you really gave him a chance.

hexbaz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Albertstan wrote:

Sorry dg22. You illustrate the difference between being a fan of Queen and a fan of great Music. Take your blinkers off and enjoy it for what it is. PR has in my opinion the most fantastic voice and can almost be dubbed "the voice of Rock"
Agreed - for the (surprisingly) limited time that PR was on stage, he was excellent. Having said that though, the fact they did so well without him makes one wonder why they actually NEED him!

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great gig. I've been to many conerts over the years and that was as good as any. The only down side if you want to call it that was the fact that Paul was missing from the stage for so long. I can only guess that he is having some troat problems, I've got a sore troat this morning and thats just from singing along to one show.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Paul as I've not seen much of him, but wow!! He does have a voice on him, and that probably wasn't him at full strenght. Also I don't think I've ever seen a happier looking rock star in my life. He seems to smile constantly, even when singing.

As for Brian and Roger, Brian was excellent as you would expect, he has really taken ownership of Queen. And Roger, well I don't think I've ever seen him drum like that before. He was truly awesome, you would'nt think he was a middle-aged man.And still a great singer.

As for all the moaners and doubters, I don't know what it was you were expecting? Freddie Mercury I guess? I've been a Queen fan for about 20 years and I thought it was great. I won't be going to any more shows on this leg of the tour but to those of you who are, enjoy, take it all in and have a great time.

What a light show by the way!!!!!

dg22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No agenda mate, just put it in the wrong place thats all !

Thanks for the blinkered replies by the way. Yes I am both a quality music and Queen fan but I also have the entitlement to an opinion aswell. Just because it doesn't conform to yours doesn't mean I cannot state it. Now THAT would be ignornace wouldn't it ianmur ?