Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Bands That Sound Like Queen

forum rss feed
Author

peanut_pie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 May 05, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Guys! I'm new to the Board -- Thought I'd start a topic.

As everyone here knows, Queen produces a huge, thick, flamboyant sound that is more elegant than
a Jaguar automobile and can at the same time blow your eardrums out -- so who sounds similar?

Here's my list:
1. Toto -- mindless ear candy, inane lyrics
(revolving mostly around chicks whose names end in
'a') -- but a great sound -- Lukather is a great guitarist -- Operatic Vocals -- Multiple Song Writers --and they were able to capture a great world beat sound.

2. Boston --(Remember them?) Infectious 1st LP
back in the day -- Tom Sholtz layering guitar on guitar creating great Brian May type harmonies, and Brad Delp(?)'s vocals were phenomenal, absolutely soaring on 'More Than a Feeling' and the likes.

3. Kansas -- Don't know much of their music--Only that the 'Carry On My7 Wayward Son' could definitely have been a Queen number.

q*ueenie^^43
father to my son user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry to say but none of the above bands sound like queen , the only band i can think of is QUEEN .

word goes around
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It might be obvious but I have to say it......The Darkness! I can listen to Permission To Land and just about point out which songs could have been written by which Queen member.....hehe.....great album, anyway....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye

Posted: 04 May 05, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the darkness influnced by queen yes , sounding like them no.

word goes around
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Valensia.

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Smile. There's something about that guitar sound... ;-)

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocalist of The Cross could be a good candidate for being Queen's drummer.

Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone remember a band from the mid '70's called Mr Big (not the American band with the same name that had a few hits 10 years later)

They had a big hit with Romeo. Lots of harmonies and a soaring falsetto. I even recall some promo photo's which looked suspiciously like the cover to Queen II. They were signed to EMI, and there may even be a significant Queen connection if my memory serves me right.

I was getting into Queen big time around then and recall loving the Mr Big album because it sounded so much like Queen. In fact I've now got a hankering to see if I can track it down. Oh well, ebay here I come (again)!

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.
Banshee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teo_torriate04 wrote:

Anyone remember a band from the mid '70's called Mr Big (not the American band with the same name that had a few hits 10 years later)

They had a big hit with Romeo. Lots of harmonies and a soaring falsetto. I even recall some promo photo's which looked suspiciously like the cover to Queen II. They were signed to EMI, and there may even be a significant Queen connection if my memory serves me right.

I was getting into Queen big time around then and recall loving the Mr Big album because it sounded so much like Queen. In fact I've now got a hankering to see if I can track it down. Oh well, ebay here I come (again)!

Now, that's something that I find interesting! I didn't know that. I'm very interested in what you can dig up. Please keep us informed. :)

Zo zachtjes als het regent, de verliefden doet het niets

Laat niemand ze vertellen dat het giet
bokkepoot user not visiting Queenzone.com
bokkepoot
Royalty: 1941 posts

Posted: 04 May 05, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I go also for Boston.
They have a massive sound like we can see in some Queen songs.

I'm a fan of this band too.
I have from this band also a hughe bootleg collection.

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teo_torriate04 wrote:

I believe that that band opened for Queen....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soooooo.... Why is this in the "Sharing the music - Announce" section?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Valensia"

Pim, he asked for bands that sound like Queen, not bands who copy Queen and rip-off their songs

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
wolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teo_torriate04 wrote:

I make the 2 Mr Big LP´s from the 70`s on CD ( incl the Track from the German release VAMPIRE )
Intrestet ?? please send me a mail

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vanilla Ice

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar

Posted: 05 May 05, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

frank sidebottom and little frank

word goes around
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kerfuffle87 wrote:

Vanilla Ice

Queen stole that song from him! I clearly remember greatist hits 2 coming out after Vanilla ice cd =)

MY GOD spell it write.
kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jellyfish, an american band from the early '90's had a great mix of rock & pop and were willing to try different sounds both musically & vocally - released 2 albums (Bellybutton & Spilt Milk)and both are worth a listen - saw them a few times when they toured the UK and they never let me down

wolf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the British 70`s Rock Band " CITY BOY "
They make a lot of good Albums and sounds like Queen
http://cityboy.org/

http://www.home-of-rock.de/CD-Reviews/City_Boy/The_Albums_1976_-_1981.html

Smartie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just listen to the German Rock/Metal Band
"Rough Silk" ...they sound very similar to Queen.
On their first 4 records they sound great, i can reccomend

"Roots of hate"
their first album, the singer wasn`t that good at that time but on the second his voice was much better. Nice Hardrock songs, the guitar player is much influenced by Brian.

"Walls of never"
Their 2nd release, great songs, fast rock numbers beautiful Piano Ballads and the singer got so much better that his voice sounds a bit like Freddie`s. One song reminds me of "Somebody to love" and another is similar to "My melancholy blues"

"Circle of hate...or the secret lies of timekeeping"

The first record I bought, because there was a sticker on the cover that said "Queen goes Metal".
I bought it and got blown away by the first number "The end". Beautiful melodies and great singer, great piano playing and powerful riffs. The whole record is amazing!!! Get it if you can.

"Mephisto"

The last release with this great singer Jan Barnett. After that album he left the band and they became quiet bad. The rest of the musicians left also and the Keyboard player recruited some new ones. But Mephisto is a strong record, they`re using Rammstein riffs, blast beats and mix that with his Freddie-alike voice. There are also beautiful breathtaking ballads on this release. I LOVE IT!!!

So check out this band if you can. It`s so sad they didn`t became famous. They toured with Deep Purple for example...

Here we are...born to be kings..