Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Best live performance of Bohemian Rhapsody

forum rss feed
Author

rwon041 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 05, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering, what you think is the best live performance of Bohemian Rhapsody by Freddie? Cos I've noticed that he never reaches for the high note (die.......) in the rocking/ moshing part and he never uses falsetto either like on the record (now i've gone and thrown it all away....).

Personally I think the best version is on the We Will Rock You dvd, when it comes to the moshing/ rocking part after the taped opera bit his voice is the best I've heard him sing that section of the song. It's got a hard edge to it, he doesn't reach for the high note and you really wish he would try but oh well....

Johnny Knoxville user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi,
I guess Wembley 86 was Ok when they did Bohemian Rhapsody. But i liked the one they did at the freddie Mercury tribute concert with elton john, the Guitar sounded so beautiful LOL

Brian May is the Best Guitarist ever!

not sure about Slash

www.BrianMayCentral.net
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could put a few good ones for the Magic tour
Mannhiem is cool, I like how Freddie says "we love you, what a corny and shitty thing to say, but we love you anyways" something along the lines
Berlin is also good, on the EX-qaulity sounding bootleg, really one of the better shows, as they were into the groove that night
Budapest is OK, it's really great sounding but an average perfromace
Madrid and Barcelona again average, but they are better then the rest of the average sounding ones =)
Knebworth is a great version, last one they ever did, over all my favorite concert
For non Magic tour shows
Buenos Aires and Rio 1981 are good version's, really the south American fans get into these songs
Newcastle 1979, is really nice, seems Freddie was dead on hitting high notes, which is a famous and well known concert

MY GOD spell it write.
_amadeus_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 763 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Considering I have only seen Bohemian Rhapsody at Wembley (Live), I would have to say that.

Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn't play poker.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Osaka 76, afternoon.

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Berlin 78, late in the evening! :-)

By the way, I can´t remember that they needed to do any video screening then during the song... ;-)

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

Led_Zeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a good song, Stairway to Heaven is so much better

Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wembley

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
Led_Zeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THE BUSTLE, THE HEDGEROW

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 05 May 05, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh God.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
neodave user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 06 May 05, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wembley '86

## signatures are stupid ##
NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 06 May 05, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley is a dreadful version ( the heavy bit at least ), Freds voice is shot and the guitar sound is dreadful.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 06 May 05, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.

The first part with Elton John was pretty naff - but the ending with Axl Rose was first class. Best ending to Bo Rhap ever.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 06 May 05, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

The real early performances of Boh Rhap ('76) were great! They put it in a medley, thus avoiding having to play the operatic part from tape. I suggest 4-4-76.

Yes they are surely great. However I read that Freddie sang Bohemian Rhapsody at least once in its entirety(minus the operatic part) on the second Newcastle show during the Crazy Tour. So that has to be the best version of the song I guess, but I haven´t heard it yet unfortunately.

Posted: 06 May 05, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with the general concensus on the Wembley 86 version. If you compare it to the studio version, his voice is much much deeper and doesn't do the song justice, comparing it to another singer doing Bohemian Rhapsody of course it sounds good, but in comparison to what he could do when he was younger, you must agree it's not one of the better performances.

I think the version off the Live Killers album is quite good, he's got that young voice and it's an excellent recording. Whenever I download live performances (Thanks all you guys who seed and offer bootlegs at Queenzone - you guys rock), I always try and go for the earlier concerts in the tours as his voice is in much better shape.

So Newcastle 1979? Would love to get a hold of it, I heard the Somebody To Love from that night is also of top notch quality (in terms of Freddie's voice). I hope someone seeds it or offers a version on Rapidshare, once I've downlaoded it I'd very gladly seed it. Is it the first night 03/12/1979 or 04/12/1979?

But I'm in no place to demand concerts as I'm already very grateful for the wealth of live material being offered up already. Kudos to the seeders.

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 07 May 05, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rwon041 wrote:

So Newcastle 1979? Would love to get a hold of it, I heard the Somebody To Love from that night is also of top notch quality (in terms of Freddie's voice). I hope someone seeds it or offers a version on Rapidshare, once I've downlaoded it I'd very gladly seed it. Is it the first night 03/12/1979 or 04/12/1979?

The second night, 04/12/79, but as I said I haven´t heard it yet unfortunately either.

~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 07 May 05, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Constitine's version from American Idol was the best version vocally, Earls court is excellent in the begining but the heavy section gets a avarage.

"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall
teleport8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as the "We will rock you" DVD is concerned (I only have a VHS version ): At first I was also impressed how clear that part is but then I believed the vocals (in the part after the tape section) were not taken from that concert. The sound of FM's microphone is so much different compared to the sections before and after it. Similar to the "ain't gonna lose" part of WATC on the Wembley DVD, they did not try hard to let it sound consistent with the rest.
In my opinion, the good thing about the WWRY recording is that it was recorded with movie cameras, not video as in the other DVDs.

It is a pity that they never tried to perform the middle part on stage. RT even had the timpani drums at that tour. It wouldn't have been the first time for them that more complex choir segments would have had to be simplified a little for 3 voices.

Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it was at Live Aid 1985. For me it was the best.

From Chile.

Life Is A Bitch...

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm that's a tough one actually. It's pretty good huh? It's the first time I ever heard him hit that top "die" (Newcastle 4/12/79)

Yeah I think the WWRY concert has had some quite heavy overdubbing on it.

Earl's court? Nah that version ain't anything to write home about, it's OK lol.

The one where Freddie is in top form vocally is Hammersmith 1975 (The Christmas Concert). It's the closest I've ever heard him sound like the record.

And Live Aid. Hmmmm good show, I think it's the best he could have sung that song given the condition his vocal cords/ throat were in. I think that by mid 1985 years of excess smoking, drinking and god knows what else had exacted a great toll on his voice and I'm suprised he managed to sound as good as he did.

But my synopsis? The best (complete) version is Newcastle 1979, then it's got to be Hammersmith 75 (though incomplete).