Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > made in heaven is rubbish

forum rss feed
Author

dimcyril user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 May 05, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does anyone else agree with me that made in heaven is a weak queen album?

mother love, let me live and too much love are great

it's a beautiful day is ok

made in heaven [song] is average

my life has been saved is awful

heaven for everyone - i prefered the shove it version with roger's middle 8

you don't fool me - crap
winter's tale - far too syrupy

i was born to love u - the freddie version suited the song more.

innuendo is the best queen album in my opinion, follwed by day at the races, the works queen 2 nato and SHA

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting.

I thought that I was Born To Love You was simply the most exciting thing I had heard from Queen since I heard the first playing of the Innuendo single on radio.........

An OK album, but certainly not rubbish like The Works.

:-)

Benn
GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that MIH is a good album (Considering Fred was dead it aint at all bad). Let Me Live, I Was Born To Love You & IABD Reprise are great classic rock songs with You Don't Fool Me being a Hot Space esque song and still being better than most of the crap on Hot Space. Mother Love being (very) moving & It's A Beautiful Day being optimistic. Overall a good album. Not quite ANATO or SHA but hey, not much was.

James

Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't get the constant You don't fool me / Hot Space comparisons. So it has a catchy bass line, so what. The actual feel of the song is very dark and moody (like mother love), nothing like the light, happy, fluffy pop of Hot Space.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm.
The only song on this album that I actually do not like, as in - I will not listen to it, is My Life has Been Saved. The instrumentation is just too damned full on.

A Winter's Tale - the main complaint about this track is that it's too sentimental. What I like about the song IS it's sentimentality, because too few of us ever just sit back and say 'oh that's nice'. You don't have to be one of those born again Christians who smile at everything and do volunteer work at the orphanage just to appreciate the nice moments of life buddy. It never hurts, in a song catalogue of 140+, to just have one song (his last one he wrote I might add) where he just goes 'the scenery in Montreaux is beautiful and I think I'll write about it'.
As for the music itself - it's bloody beautiful. I get a feeling it's drawn from something a little sadder than the lyrics imply, but oh well - we'll never know. My only complaint with A Winter's Tale is the karaoke-style percussion. I actually think less synth, less drums and more piano might've worked in it's favour. But oh well.

I could give a big fat recital on each song and tell you why I like it or don't like it, but as I said there's only one song on Made in Heaven that I just won't listen to.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And people who hate You Don't Fool Me - to be honest, I see it as a latter day AOBTD. Imagine it rocked up like AOBTD was on stage, and then see if you hate it.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This album holds a bit of a special place in my heart, as it was the only "true" studio album from Queen that I actually bought on the day of its release. For you older fans out there, it's the equivalent of rushing out to the record store on the day of release of, say, A Night At The Opera or Jazz. Something like that.

But I actually stumbled onto it accidentally. I was putzing around sometime in November 1995 and went into my local record shop to buy The Beatles' Anthology 1, which I had really been looking forward to. As usual, I had to buy more than one album (it's a problem with me - I can't just buy one CD), so I walked around the store a bit more, then decided I would check on Queen to see if they released anything new. This has been a bit of a running joke with me - I'll look through many of my favorite bands' sections and have a little laugh while waiting for the new Who album to come out, even though the last studio album they released was in 1982. Well, it's funny to me...

Anyway, I decided to humor myself and checked out Queen. Imagine my surprise when... hey, a new album?! Immediately, I snatched it up and purchased it, then exited the store as I waited for my mom to pick me up (wow, this was ten years ago... how time flies). I looked at the song titles on the back and tried to imagine how they would sound. 'Mother Love' and 'You Don't Fool Me' seemed like such odd titles, and I couldn't possibly imagine any Queen album with those songs on them. I think I was secretly hoping for an Innuendo-type album, and saw those titles and trepidation started to hit me.

As I'd done my research on the band through books (no Internet in my house until about 1998), I knew that 'Made In Heaven', 'Born To Love You', 'Heaven For Everyone', and 'Too Much Love' were already solo songs. I found this interesting, as I'd only heard that last song on Brian's Back To The Light, but started to wonder in what context the songs would be presented.

When I got home, I put the cassette (not CD; I didn't have enough money) on and listened to it all the way through. 'Beautiful Day' was a gorgeous mood setter; the title track was just a pounding, majestic affair (great slide solo, too). 'Mother Love' did not disappoint; I thought it was a very emotive, powerful song, and I didn't even know that it was Freddie's last vocal. 'My Life' was... interesting. I knew it was the B-side of 'Scandal', but I could tell from the production sound that it was a different recording, even though I'd never heard the original before. It just seemed to sound very '1995' and not '1989'.

'Born To Love You' followed, and I was thrilled that there was finally a rocker on the album. 'Heaven For Everyone' was great, but I thought it went on a bit too long; I always prefered Brian's version of 'Too Much Love', but was blown away with Queen's version when the drums and guitar kicked in. Still gets me every time. 'You Don't Fool Me' I really didn't like at first, but grew to love it thanks to the guitar solo; I think it just prattles on a bit, but that was before I heard the ten minute 'Late Mix'. 'A Winter's Tale' was a lovely way to end the album, and I really think it could've done without the reprise of 'Beautiful Day'.

There's one song I left out, which is 'Let Me Live'. When I first heard this, it immediately became my favorite song. Everything about this song is perfect: the gospel vocals, the laid-back instrumentation, Brian's soaring guitar solo, Brian, Roger, and Freddie each singing a verse each, and the piano. Oh god the piano. That little riff at the end of the song still sends shivers up my spine. I listened to that song over and over, so much so that it became my mom's favorite song as it was the only thing I played.

To me, the album conjures up a mix of emotions: grief, as I discovered under what circumstances the songs were recorded, and the lyrics certainly don't try to disguise that, but also a sense of melancholy. It's a very

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's an excellent album.

Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

made in heaven is a wonderful album!

cookies anyone?

2+2=5
pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, and its only an opinion, a true fan would not rubbish the bands work. simply because you prefer other albums doesn't make this one rubbish.

...although i tend not to listen to you dont fool me.

Dislocate your spine...
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, that is a brilliant description of MIH!!!

I think it's a GREAT album!!

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I, like Lester. also bought the cassestte of Made in Heaven on the day of its release.

Then only Queen album I ever did that with.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gr8 album one of the best

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think made in heaven is queens best album. my life has been saved is best song for me on this album. i like all those songs and i don't get it how can you say that a winters tale is a crap?? you are not a real queen fan...

Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rubbish???!!? I don't think so. Not a chance. It's good album, actually more than good, imo. The only song I don't like is "You Don't Fool Me".. It's not one of my faves, definitely, but MIH is far from being rubbish.

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a good album. Not excellent, not brilliant, but surely not weak or even average. I think "Made In Heaven" is a fitting epilogue to Queen's history.

My favourite songs are the beautiful and NOT over-sentimental "A Winter's Tale", the catchy "You Don't Fool Me" and the incredibly moving "Mother Love". Cover versions are usually better than the original ones (maybe except the over-arranged "I Was Born To Love You"). "It's A Beautiful Day" introduces well into the atmosphere of the album, "Let Me Live" is a nice revival of Queen's earlier days with good vocal parts from Brian and Roger and "My Life Has Been Saved" brings a bit of optimism after the depressing "Mother Love".

Not a milestone in the history of rock, but a good tune with a few very emotional moments. You don't hear such albums everyday.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's your own opinion and depends on each other's tastes. I don't know what's the reason for researches of weakest/worst Queen album, leave it to the press.

I Can Hear Music user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

absolutely NO rubbish. And think of the way Freddie wanted this album to be released after he died.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MIH is to me what Let it Be was to The Beatles. It is an album that is subjected to controversy. I bought MIH on street date on CD and loved it. Unfortunately, my fellow North Americans disagreed.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also love this album. Freddie's vocal tone at the time (80's onwards) and those lovely ballads. I like it just the way it is.

Peace,
Adam.