Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Would you be ok with Queen + PR...as a studio band??

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 May 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I've been thinking...

Brian and and Roger and Paul Rodgers have all said in the last few weeks that they aren't sure yet if the will be doing any more tour dates because when they are on the road thay all claim "to have no family life".

But for me, after hearing this official downloads... I would be totally of with the boys just recording new studio material every couple years.... I don't care if they tour or not.

My question... how important is the "live show" to you guys??

I look at like this... my other favorite band (The Beatles) to me, put out there best work when they had officially stopped touring and were a studio band...ie: SGT. Pepper, The White Album...

Wouldn't be ok if the boys just recorded ne studio stuff and put it out??

It'd be fine with me.

What are your thoughts?

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure, I would love to hear what they would come up with. I would like them to keep touring too, though :)

Flick of the wrist
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure, whatever works best creativley, and in tandem with their family lives, works for me.

If Queen & Paul Rodgers want to put the grind of the road behind them, and put all their focus into writing and recording high end quality studio material...GO for it!

xyz
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Studio stuff would be fantastic. However it DEFINITLEY wouldn't be Queen and shouldn't be billed as such (even with a "plus" suffix). The tour is Queen because they're playing Queen songs. But if they're recording all new songs that never existed during the original Queen lineup, including songs written and co-written by Paul Rodgers, then it's not Queen. It's a brand new band with two people from Queen in it. Just as Bad Company contained two people from Free, one guy from Hoople and one from King Crimson. It wasn't Free, it was Bad Company.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Again the old discussion starts? Okay... With different name - yes.

GregM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it would be wonderful if they recorded together, whatever they choose to call themselves (let's not open up THAT can of worms again!) They complement each other beautifully, and I'm sure whatever they might come up with in the studio would be very good.

That said, I think Brian and Roger both get the "touring bug" once every half decade or so...Both have said in the past that they greatly missed touring during the '87-'91 period...Although I doubt, if they do tour again, that it will be as huge as this in terms of venues, number of dates, etc.

Just my two cents,

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes! Love to hear that.

Bring it on! I want - I want!! ;-)

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would love to see them tour again in the future, and i`m sure they will if they produce some new material with Paul. They write rockin music, and hell yeah if they should release a new album. I`m so tired of all the crap music that`s been made (not all ofcourse), so something new from the the touring boys would be great.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ABSOLUTELY!!! I look forward to a new studio l.p. with a tour behind it in the next couple of years!!! ROCK!

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would love to hear some new studio material!!

And a new tour after that.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But realistically, these guys will be in their 60's in a few years, and with grandchildren.

The days of a new town, and new piece of ass every night are long gone.

I don't see these guys doing 8 month world tours several times over.

I would be completely happy with Queen + PR touring the world this time...

which, I honestly think there is a 90%+ chance they will come to the USA & Canada do to the overwelming response so far.

Then... I think the guys PROBABLY WILL record a new album.... I don't think they will world tour that, but just do a few special dates.

Which would be fine with me.

In a perfect world...yes, I wish the name Queen would have been put to rest...somewhere, say, oh, Nov. 24th 1991.

But we've beat that to the ground around here.
They (as in Brian, Roger & Paul) started off as Queen + Paul Rodgers...

They are not going back to the studio and releasing something as "Nicky Nostril and the Nose Picking Nine".... so we might as well get over the name thing.

In case anyone hasn't noticed... on this board, and other Queen boards... I have noticed the acceptance of Paul Rodgers is ON THE RISE.

Anyone who has, (without knowing Paul vast catalog of hits) said "Paul sucks" .... who was then told....

"Go get a Bad Company Album, or Free's first album...or Paul Rodgers tribute to Muddy Waters"....these hecklers seem to drop the "hate Paul" attitude when "Feel Like Makin Love" is cranked in their cars.

Paul is no Freddie.
Freddie was the original and the best.

But folks... Paul's pretty damn good.
(I know 90% of you know this)

And whether they tour or not.... new studio releases would be HIGHLY EMBRACED by me. :)

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WITH ANOTHER NAME OTHER THAN QUEEN.
NO FREDDIE + NO JOHN = NO QUEEN.

FREDDIE 1991
WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.

TheGame

Posted: 09 May 05, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sharon G. wrote:

WITH ANOTHER NAME OTHER THAN QUEEN.
NO FREDDIE + NO JOHN = NO QUEEN.

FREDDIE 1991
WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.

Get over yourself!
Everybody here loves Freddie, but show must go on. I assume you don`t like the Queen+Paul Rodgers tour either. The name Queen or not is another discussion, so let it be.

Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 09 May 05, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love for them to record new material and I'm cool with them using the Queen+ name. Brian and Roger are half the band and a quarter of it sadly isn't with them anymore (no option). I think Freddie would be cool with it too...

If it was Roger and John that weren't in the band I don't think the Freddie fans would be as upset...

Let's have Brian and Roger (the half we do have) make lots of great music together as Queen+ with Paul Rodgers or any other great singers....even if they just sing themselves it will be fantastic!

TheGame

Posted: 10 May 05, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hawk hawk wrote:

Paul Rocko needs to chill

Think you are funny yes. Wow, you`re a genious, let`s clap our hands....stupid f.ck,get a life!

An Ordinary Guy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Studio band, yes, but most likely they'll do as with the tour: everyone will lead sing on some songs, not much new material (maybe an EP.. or one sole album), reused or unpublished stuff. Sounds pesimistic, but that's the way I see it.
INXS didn't make it, AC/DC did, let's see what Queen+PR will do (the fans' reaction is mostly - so far - positive). Hopefully they won't entitle Smile... and maybe they'll reach top 20.

You can be anything... anything you think that you could ever be
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, And I have to say, I think it could be good if they were to do a FEW new songs. Really though, I'd just like Brian and Roger to make new stuff together. :p

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they are going to do studio work, I think that they should completely dispense with the "Queen + Paul Rodgers" title and develop a new name around the band. That way, they will be a little less likely to be "compared" to Queen in the studio and will give themselves that bit of a better chance to go it alone and forge a way ahead for themselves without all the baggage that the Queen name carries.

I would LOVE to hear Brian stepping out a bit more. What's disappointed me most of all about this tour is the way he has used so many of the red Special replicas that, regardless of what ANYONE says, sound COMPLETELY different to the original. In the studio, he would be able to more reliably use the original guitar and can, as a result, crank it up. And, the blues-rock formula is one thing that we have hear very little of from Brian during his career. I know that he was very keen to do something along those lines after BTTL died out.

As for the vocals, it should all be Paul - Brian and Roger do a decent job, but to have them at the expense of one of the only remaining GREAT blues-rock voices would be a waste.

Benn
GregM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did Brian use the original "old lady" at all on this tour? I thought I saw it at Birmingham, albeit without the original leather strap.

Greg

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GregM wrote:

Did Brian use the original "old lady" at all on this tour? I thought I saw it at Birmingham, albeit without the original leather strap.

Greg

If it's got the sixpence in the head, then it's the old lady. On most of the video I've seen from this tour, he seems to have been using her alot more than he used to. I think the re-finish and re-wire that she had a couple of years ago has done the old girl a world of good

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold