Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > queen and drugs

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 May 05, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all no Freddie Mercury was a heavy Cocaine user and a chain smoker. i no john deacon smoked u can see him on the making of one vision of GH2. but did brian or roger smoke and did john brian or roger use cocoain or other drugs.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian didn't (drugs, smoke), as he wrote recently in his soapbox.

Roger smoked.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard Roger quit smoking before the Magic Tour started. Brian did not ever smoke or do drugs. No wonder Brian would not run out of breath during his solo spots, especially Milton Keynes, where he would run all over the place.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it says in "As It Began" that the only one not to participate in smoking in the early days was Freddie (though presumably Brian only briefly tried it before becoming set against it, as he hates smoking now).
John and Roger definitley smoked during the 80s, dunno if they've stopped now or not. I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of John smoking in the 90s.
Freddie eventually picked up the habit of smoking from "people around him" (the gay scene?) in the mid 80s (maybe when he knew he had HIV/AIDS and thought what the hell?)

As for drugs, everyone says Freddie did cocaine, though I don't know what their source of information is.
Brian hasn't done any drugs. John is probably too sensible to do drugs (though maybe not seeing as he smoked).
Roger tried canabis once and couldn't handle it, so if he couldn't handle canabis, the 14 year old girl's drug of choice, it's unlikely he did anything harder, despite his supposed bad boy image.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last Cyborg- What year were you born?? 1986??

Freddie started smoking in late 1979.
Roger & John already smoked.
I have seen old "Smile" circa 1969, photos of Roger and Tim Staffel smoking.

Freddie did pick up smoking in New York gay bars... as just about everyone was a social smoker.

Freddie was a cocaine dabbler... but again, had it very much under control...

As Jim Hutton put it:
"Fred could spend $20,000 on cocaine in a weekend if there was a big event".... then, it may be 10-15 months before he would have another snort."

It should be noted... in Jim Hutton's book "Mercury and Me".... he says that the whole day, leading up to Queen time to go on at live Aid in 1985.. Jim says that "Freddie had been hitting the cocaine hard all day".... "after the show, I know he and Paul McCartney purchased a shitload of the stuff, and split the cost".

Interesting fact...
Live AID is considered to be one of the best live performances by anyone..anywhere.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

It should be noted... in Jim Hutton's book "Mercury and Me".... he says that the whole day, leading up to Queen time to go on at live Aid in 1985.. Jim says that "Freddie had been hitting the cocaine hard all day".... "after the show, I know he and Paul McCartney purchased a shitload of the stuff, and split the cost".

Interesting fact...
Live AID is considered to be one of the best live performances by anyone..anywhere.

Interesting... I wouldn't have thought Macca would've done cocaine. The Beatles did Spliffs and LSD, but somehow I never imagined Macca doing coke.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oberon wrote:

Scott_Mercury wrote:

Interesting fact...

Interesting... I wouldn't have thought Macca would've done cocaine. The Beatles did Spliffs and LSD, but somehow I never imagined Macca doing coke.

My mouth dropped open when I read Paul's exclusive Cover Story Interview in Uncut few months ago where he came right out and said he tried Heroin..only once...but I still can't get over that. Not Macca. But out of his own mouth. In fact, his statement wound up making all the news wire servies, AP, UPI, the USA papers right after that.

xyz
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well he said wasn't his bag...John/George were the coke/heroin fiends.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger and John smoked. Roger quit smoking in 1985 / 1986. Brian did not smoke or use drugs. Freddie began smoking in 1979. They had some famous parties. I've read and seen in documentaries about this parties that there were dwarfs with platters coke, so it's possible that they used it. Freddie used it, Roger couldn't handle canabis some it's unlikely that he used it. Brian is too soft and too wise to use it. I don't know if John used it. I always think he isn't as sensible as everyone always thinks. It's possible gheghe... but I wasn't there ... what a pity !!

Ellie79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as I know,Freddie,John and roger were all smokers,Roger seemed to be the heaviest of them,but I don't think they were properly addicted to any drugs...I mean,they seemed too"healthy"to be like that...Btw, read Roger quit smoking around 1987/88,for his former partner illness..

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EVERYONE did blow in the 70's

Everybody in hollywood did and everybody in the music biz did. Or at least damn near everybody.
There wasn't nearly the stigma associated with drug use like there is now. Thanks Nancy Reagan you cunt! LOL!

And the 70's was the ME decade. Debauchery and over-indulgence were as commonplace as polyester suits. It's too bad I was a little rug rat during the 70's or else I would've had a blast.

Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog wrote:

JDL2nd wrote:

I've read and seen in documentaries about this parties that there were dwarfs with platters coke,

All the documentaries I see, say there were no dwarfs with cocaine

Yeah there were. I saw it too. I forgot which one it was though but I do remeber seeing it.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't Freddie stop smoking when he found out he had AIDS?

James

Posted: 11 May 05, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The dwarves were hired by Freddie & Queen's Special Los Angeles PR firm who were instructed to find...colorful street characters for the New Orleans "Jazz" launch party, for which all the music executives from BOTH Queen's UK record label, EMI/Parlophone, and Queen's then USA record label, Elektra, as well as friends and press were invited.

Freddie had Bolivian cocaine flown in and tested it's er...quality himself. It was served in silver trays strapped to the heads of dwarves paid to walk around to all the guests. The party was held Halloween somebody help me here...1978? I think, correct me on the year if I am wrong.

xyz
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog wrote:

GiantSpider wrote:

Didn't Freddie stop smoking when he found out he had AIDS?

There's a photo of him in 1990 or 91 with him smoking.

The last picture I know of Freddie with a cigarette is a shoot for the BReakthru video, which was in 1989.
Later photos did come up with Freddie smoking, but eventually, it was clear that it was never his cigarette (like in the Days of our lives -shoot). He did stop smoking when his therapy began. That's what Brian said, anyway.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And just because Roger did not like Marijuhana does not necessarily mean he did not try coke... that's ridiculous. What has one thing to do with another?

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK we all know Freddie did Cocaine, but where do you guys think his energy came from? More from the cocaine or from himself?
As for me, I think it came 99.9% from his inner self...

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not so funny :-(

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Ellie79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scirocco1977 wrote:

And just because Roger did not like Marijuhana does not necessarily mean he did not try coke... that's ridiculous. What has one thing to do with another?
I think they wouldn't have been really addicted,but they should have tried snorting coke sometimes...Honestly Brian and John doesn't seem to me people who did that,I'd be more sure of Freddie and Roger,but,anyway,we don't know,they could have tried everything or nothing..who knows?:)

Posted: 12 May 05, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I REALLY am wondering now why everyone says Freddie quit smoking when he found out he had AIDS.(which I believed..guess that's why they say don't believe everything you read) (and a picture is worth a thousand words).

I have now seen tons of photos of Freddie right up to practically when he passed, all smoking/holding cigarettes...

xyz