Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Was Freddie blind?

forum rss feed
Author

Johnny Knoxville user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 May 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello,
A few years before Freddie died, did AIDS turn him blind?, is that why he is wearing Glasses in the Invisible Man Video? did he only loose his eyesight temporarily, as at the Brit Awards 1990, He looked like he had a vision

Brian May is the Best Guitarist ever!

not sure about Slash

www.BrianMayCentral.net
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paging Penetration_Guru to this thread, Penetration_Guru, you are wanted in this thread.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He wore glasses in Body Language video in 1982, in Spread Your Wings/WWRY in 1977... So what?

Yes, we need in P_G right now

Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hm...

2+2=5
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And by the way take a look at It's A Hard Life video - how many eyes are on Freddie's outfit! It probably means something... He knew he'd be blind in 1991!

If seriously: no, he wasn't. He draw pictures in Montreux and Garden Lodge in 1991 - it's not something you'd do if you're blind.

Son of Bryans Permed Poodle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I guees he must have been blind since the mid 70ies... well c´mon look at all those beautiful girls and women that live on our planet! ;-)

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is Bollocks, Freddie was not blind all his life, until the the late 80's, If he was blind how come he looked people in the eye, and walked up to them, and in the Queen magazine, people asked him questions, and he replied, So think before you start telling sick lies about the greatest singer ever!

not sure about Slash

www.BrianMayCentral.net

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is Bollocks, Freddie was not blind all his life, until the the late 80's, If he was blind how come he looked people in the eye, and walked up to them, and in the Queen magazine, people asked him questions, and he replied, So think before you start telling sick lies about the greatest singer ever! like that other guy asking for photos.

not sure about Slash

www.BrianMayCentral.net
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he was indeed blind. he didnt see me!

2+2=5
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On a serious note...from what I have heard and read through the years from Jim Hutton, Mary Austin, Peter Freestone, Freddie started losing his sight about the beginning of November 1991, which greatly distressed him for the obvious reason of potentially going blind...and also because he knew at that point, he felt it would keep him from being able to be productive musically...which had kept him going amd gave him the hope, strength, faith and will to live.

This was what was the final straw that promted Freddie to intentionally stop taking his AZT AIDS medication. He only took his pain killers..and sort of lost his will to go on...and at that point the AIDS spiraled swiftly and he died a few weeks later.

xyz

Posted: 10 May 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See... Sonia Doris is the living proof of my hypothesis! :-))

Posted: 10 May 05, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Johnny Knoxville

..."...and in the Queen magazine, people asked him questions, and he replied."

Did you ask, if Freddie was blind or if he was deaf or/and dumb?

pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its only an opinion but Freddie surely was not blind until about November.

He danced around in videos like I'm Going Slightly Mad, Scandal and The Invisible Man. He couldn't do this if he was blind.
He sure as hell would not have been dancing up and down on the back of a steam loco during the Breakthru video if he was blind as well.

Dislocate your spine...

Posted: 10 May 05, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I agree, I don't think he was blind until shortly before his Death

not sure about Slash

www.BrianMayCentral.net

Posted: 10 May 05, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From Mary Austin's Interview/Article "Mercury Left me His Millions"

"In the year up until his death in 1991, Mary juggled looking after her son Richard, now nine, and his father, Piers Cameron, with attending to Freddie as he suffered the final stages of Aids. At the same time she was preparing for the birth of a second baby, Jamie, now eight.

Long before he told any of his close friends or the fellow members of his pop group Queen that he had Aids, he confided his secret to Mary. From that moment she was there each day to try to comfort him as he gradually became more ill.

As he started to lose his sight and his body became so weak that finally he couldn't even get out of bed, Freddie decided to face up to dying by refusing to take his medication. 'It was Freddie's decision to finally end it all - he chose the time to die,' Mary recalls in a whisper. 'He knew it was coming - that it was closer than it had ever been before. Then he suddenly said, "I've decided that I've got to go!"'

'The quality of his life had changed so dramatically and he was in more and more pain every day. He was losing his sight.

His body became weaker as he suffered mild fits. It was so distressing to see him deteriorating in this way. One day he decided enough was enough and stopped all the medical supplements that were keeping him going. He just turned off. The overwhelming thing for me was that he was just so incredibly brave. He looked death in the face and said, "Fine, I'll accept it now - I'll go." But it was peaceful and he died with a smile on his face.'

xyz

Posted: 10 May 05, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Arlene R. III...

I allways thought, you were not a fan of this "Homestory" type of gossip... How can you trust an article about Mary... who was left "Freddies Millions"? :-))

Posted: 10 May 05, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Son of Bryans Permed Poodle wrote:

Sorry Arlene R. III...

I allways thought, you were not a fan of this "Homestory" type of gossip... How can you trust an article about Mary... who was left "Freddies Millions"? :-))

That was the only article I had right away on Brian's website to post. But I've read that in tons of articles and interviews with Peter, Jim, various music press in the UK. Mary's articlw was just the immediate one I had at my fingertips. I surely don't beleive everything she said, but this has been confirmed by most other sources as well.

Freddie was NEVER blind. But, as I put in an earlier post near the beginning of this topic, Freddie was in Montreux the beg. of November 1991. He started Gradually...losing some of his vision and that devestated him emotionally. He returned to Garden Lodge in London and made the decision that since his quality of life..and work..was being adversely affected, he stopped taking his AZT medication, and only took his painkillers. Then he rapidly went downhill and died just a few weeks later.

xyz
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote: other
Freddie was NEVER blind. But, as I put in an earlier post near the beginning of this topic, Freddie was in Montreux the beg. of November 1991. He started Gradually...losing some of his vision and that devestated him emotionally. He returned to Garden Lodge in London and made the decision that since his quality of life..and work..was being adversely affected, he stopped taking his AZT medication, and only took his painkillers. Then he rapidly went downhill and died just a few weeks later.

Arlene, sorry but what you're saying is pure bull shit. You make it sound as if Freddie had decided to die because he was losing his sight, and that would have affected his music!! He decided to die because he was suffering too much, and had lost hope he'd get better. Someone as strong as Freddie would never give up just because he may lose his sight. He had lived for many years with AIDS! And there are many blind musicians around. Someone like Freddie would not want to die just because of it. He would have found thousands of ways to be productive and have fun just the same.

I am blind...And I party all the time!!

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/

Posted: 10 May 05, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fairy wrote:

Arlene R. Weiss wrote: other

Arlene, sorry but what you're saying is pure bull shit. You make it sound as if Freddie had decided to die because he was losing his sight, and that would have affected his music!! He decided to die because he was suffering too much, and had lost hope he'd get better. Someone as strong as Freddie would never give up just because he may lose his sight. He had lived for many years with AIDS! And there are many blind musicians around. Someone like Freddie would not want to die just because of it. He would have found thousands of ways to be productive and have fun just the same.

I am blind...And I party all the time!!

Fairy

Fairy..I didn't mean just and only losing his sight. I said it was the last straw in a series of things, such as constant infections, deteriorating health, barely being able to even walk, constant pain. Read what Mary Austin said in my post above. Jim Hutton and Peter Freestone all said the same.

Yes, I know everyone from Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Jose Feliciano, & tons more artists are blind and VERY Productive...but in Freddie's case, 1st as I said Freddie was NEVER blind...

Freddie was starting to lose his sight..and it was the last straw that broke the camel's back in that ALL of his other health was getting much WORSE, and he knew he was dying.

When his pain and suffering were at the point where he couldn't bare it, he intentionally made the decision to stop taking his AZT and only took his pain killers.

And BTW...before you get mad...at me...I know it's hard to think of Freddie giving up hope, faith, inspiration...but just remember the topic we all just did on Brian's thoughts of suicide. When the topic starter posted and started that thread..everyone said..that's IMPOSSIBLE. Brian has so much to live for. He would NEVER think of suicide and give up hope, faith, etc. But..there was, in fact, a time in Brian's life where things were just to much weight for him to bare as well...in the course of a few years, Brian saw Freddie die, Brian's Father & then Mother died, Brian went thru a tough divorce. And so he DID actually get do depressed he DID think of suicide and checked himself into therapy and thank GOD got help.

Well I and you, are NOT Freddie. We and no-one on QZ can actually know what went through his mind. What I do know, is the man suffered horribly, was in constant pain, and was getting worse, not better. When he left Montreux and came back to Garden Lodge in Novemer 1991, he in his heart and mind made the decision, that was right for him and that WOULD and DID give him PEACE. He decided to let nature or rather the disease run its course.

--------NO....Freddie DID NOT kill himself as you are interpreting me to have said. What I mean is that he stopped taking the medication that was prolonging rather than stopping his suffering. There's a HUGE difference in that.------------

Fairy, and don't think of it as Freddie losing hope...

..YOU of all people who are VERY spiritual should know..that maybe..that's when Freddie had the MOST hope, faith, and COURAGE...

He decided it was time that his SPIRIT lived on, without pain and suffering..and Freddie's Spirit DOES live on, and is with YOU, with ME, with this world, With Brian, Roger, John, and Freddie's family and Loved ones. And you can be sure that NOW Freddie IS Happy and at Peace and Joy, Forever

xyz
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 10 May 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#009933">grapefruit</font> wrote:

There are amazing things people have done when they are blind or can't hear... like drawing pictures and composing great songs.. but Freddie wasn't... i think :)

Fortunately he was not. But if he had gone blind, and still been healthy, do you guys really think he would have wanted to kill himself?? Arlene seems to think so...I think Freddie has shown the world he could put up with much worse things than blindness...He would have killed himself as soon as he tested HIV positive if he had been so weak.
Don't you think so guys?

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/