Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What Album would you lend your mate to get them into Queen

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 May 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What Album would you lend your mate to get them into Queen. A night at the Opera is often called there best album though i believe it is a bit weird for a non queener. This goes for Queen 2 which is insane in parts. Presumbily no one would say anything past news of the world possibly Jazz. personally i would lend them Sheer Heart Attack. it has a good combination of rock and soft rock on it. What do you think.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No any of them. I don't want to lend my friends in things what I love, it's up to them what they want to hear.

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so if one of your mates says i wanna listen to queen, i wanna see what all the whoo har is about you'll tell em to piss off its my music

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liam wrote:

so if one of your mates says i wanna listen to queen, i wanna see what all the whoo har is about you'll tell em to piss off its my music

I'll tell him/her that he need to choose first album without my help. Have you ever read topics here about the best Queen album? "Innuendo is overrated, Flash is underrated, Hot Space sucks" etc. etc. etc. We - Queen fans for many years - can't choose the best album! I don't want someone to share my tastes because of my advice, if he/she'd like that album - when I can recommend some more things, but about the first album - no, thank you.

You asked - I answered. If I'd answer "Innuendo" - would you ask me "Why?" too? That's my opinion, don't ask me why.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think "A Night at the Opera" is a safe bet. "Queen II" may be a bit much to start with. Of course, the most logical choice is really "Greatest Hits."

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GH is just not representative of the band at all.

I'd tell them to start at the beginning and work through chronologically so that they can see the development of the band. Starting with The Works or Innuendo (r Hot Space) for that matter won't give anyone an idea of how they got to that place.

I'd advise a new recruit to start off by reading about the band to understand the history, influences and personalities before listening to anything, then starting with Queen......

Benn

Posted: 11 May 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What? You want to spark their interest, not give them a homework assignment. Give them the Greatest Hits, and if they don't like it, they're probably not going to like Queen. On the other hand, if you start them with the first album, they may not like it, because it really isn't one of their best. Give them the best first.

Posted: 11 May 05, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I HATE the Greatest Hits albums but love Queen.......

What's that all about then?

Benn

Posted: 11 May 05, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That makes you the exception to the rule, not the rule.

Posted: 11 May 05, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And that's the "rule" according to you?

Where did I say that my is "the" way? I merely said "I'd advise".......

Benn

Posted: 11 May 05, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the rule according to the sales figures. It's just playing the odds.

JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I would lend a friend two albums. One of the old days and one of the eighties. Perhaps a day at the races and the miracle.

boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably NOTW because you've got two of the bands biggest hits to start, some rockers (SHA, GDML SOTSW) and some classics (SYW and It's Late). That and the fact that it's been my favourite album for about 20 years now.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

farlander, are you kidding? queen's first album blows greatest hits out of the water. not a very good album? queen is among queen's best albums to us older fans, i'm guessing your a kid, but to contridict myself a bit, the greatest hits or the 'game' 'anato,' would be good ice breakers. if they don't like the basics they probably won't like the rest.

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would lend them The Miracle, or Innuendo. I personaly think that best Queen works happened in last few years. Miracle has IWIA, Breakhtru, Miracle, Invisible man, Scandal... I like almost every song from that album. Innuendo has classics TSMGO, IGSM, Headlong, TATDOOL...

I think I'm banana tree...
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I wouldn't give anyone Greatest Hits either, since those aren't the songs that made Queen famous.

I'd go for ANATO though it's the obvious choice (and Queen II is my favorite). ANATO has the most types of musical styles, so I think it's more representative of what they were capable of. When you hear something like Death On Two Legs go into Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, it really makes you want to find out more about a band that would do something like that. Bo Rhap, You're My Best Friend were hit singles, while '39, Death On Two Legs and I'm In Love With My Car were radio hits, and Love Of My Life is obviously well-loved when audiences around the world sang with it live. (Greatest Hits forgets all that, and only includes the two hit singles and tries to rewrite history...and it's succeeding.)

If people don't want to hear something that's weird then they need to just to listen to the sanitized local Top 40 station. I think all good music has to be weird in some way :)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
RainMustFall2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I leant my girlfriend (before we were going out) a Queen mix CD that I burned. I believe the tracklist had things like:

Rock It, If You Can't Beat 'Em, All Dead All Dead, Keep Yourself Alive, Boh Rhap, I Want to Break Free... and some others.

She really liked it. I tell you, Queen is a nice way to woo girls, because they have some romantic songs (her favorite is You & I).

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've gotta go with Farlander on this.

GH is Queen's biggest selling album, and therefore is statistically most likely to please the average non-Queen fan.

If they don't like GH (and only an imbecile wouldn't) they're not gonna enjoy the rest of Queen's output.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Slightly Dazed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree ^^^

I got into Queen through the Greatest Hits, there wasn't one song I disliked so I decided to buy the other albums.

But now you can kiss my ass goodbye
Slightly Dazed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 11 May 05, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol that didn't work. I agree with bohardy not ^^^

But now you can kiss my ass goodbye