Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie and touring

forum rss feed
Author

alibat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 05, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have just listened to an old tape I recorded off the radio in 1989 when the miracle was released. In it,the question of if any tour was planned came up. Freddie basically said that he wanted to get off the treadmill of touring for a while as he'd been so busy and the magic tour had been so huge. Of course with the benefit of hindsight we all know the real reason. Brian, John and Roger clearly wanted to tour.

What I would be interested to here peoples opinions about is this. How long do you think Freddie managed to fob off the others with excuses about not wanting to tour at the moment before he had to tell them the truth? How did they feel about this before they knew he was ill when Queen had been such a huge live band?

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what Scott had told me, Freddie told BOTH Freddie's sister Kashmira and Roger, together in August 1986 at Freddie's home, that Freddie had AIDS. Then in September 1986 Freddie told Brian & John that he had AIDS.

So the band knew by fall 1986.

Roger and Brian loved touring in the 80's. (even if now in 2005 they have shifted their priorites to their families and home life and prefer to stay off the grind of the road and stay home).

So in the 80's and early 90's, Roger recorded solo albums and with The Cross and toured, and Brian recorded solo albums, collaborated with other artists and toured, even here in the USA to promote "Back To The Light".

Roger made several statements in the 80's about how he missed and loved the thrill of performing live with and as part of a band, which was why he formed The Cross.

As for John, he had already tried ONE solo effort in the mid 80's that flopped, a song for the film, "Biggles". And John has always been upset that he didn't have a good lead singing voice, so he didn't fare at a solo career and after Freddie's death, John basically "retired".

Freddie preety much told the whole band he was ill pretty soon after he knew for certain he was ill. Right after The Magic Tour ended. So he basically was up front right away with the band, so that Roger, Brian & John could persue other ventures if they wanted...and STILL record as Queen (just not tour due to Freddie's declining health). And so that's what they did.

As Queen they STILL wrote and recorded The Miracle and Innuendo and the tracks for Made In Heaven.

For touring and more recording work, Brian & Roger did their solo stuff.

Also, even Freddie did solo work without major touring. He recorded "Barcelona", "Time" and made a few one off perfromances with Montseratt Caballe performing "Barcelona" and for "Time".

I feel Freddie did the right thing by the band and gave them the honest decency to give them the options to persue what creative ventures they wanted to. And they STLL enjoyed and loved working as Queen. They just stuck to recording and didn't tour.

Telling the band right away was also good on both a professional level and on a personal level.

Professionally, Brian, Roger, & John could fend off rumors about Freddie's illness to their NEW record label in the USA, Hollywood when they were in discussions to sign a new Record Deal/Contract with Hollywood and to promote Innuendo as best as possible, and release the entire Queen back catalog on CD and boost it and Queen as best as possible. They were the ones that told the press, record ecxecutives, the music industry that Freddie didn't like touring anymore and kept the rumors at bay, which protected Queen's professional and business affairs/interests, and work.

On a personal level it was good because Brian, Roger, & John could spend quality time with their dear friend and colleague, and they were VERY protective of Freddie...as the band...did their best to keep the truth about Freddie's illness from the press and public and protect his privacy..as wll as protect him emotionally and help encourage him to work which gave Freddie hope as making music for Freddie, was the single most imprtant thing that kept him going, kept his strength up as long as possible, and gave him courage, purpose, faith, and hope.

xyz
alibat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Arlene. I'd assumed it must have happened way before 1989 and that the standard reply was to keep away the press. I'd just thought that there might have been a brief period before he felt he could tell them. Sounds like Freddie to be upfront and tell them right away though.

Posted: 12 May 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog wrote:

The Roger he told, is his sister's husband.

In the fan club message of 1986, John says the 1986 tour will be the last one they do for a while, in a sad way.

Thanks for this Frog. I actually printed Scott's information to me. So was he wrong?

Does Kashmira have a husband named Roger?

Scott said though that it was Roger from Queen. In fact, He said that Freddie told Roger...first and before Brian & John...and that that was at Freddie's house along with Kashmira.

OK QZ...everybody..let's get the facts correct on this as it IS important.

Anybody know that when Freddie told Kashmira at his home in August 1986 that he had AIDS, was it Queen's Roger who was there as well that Freddie also told, or did Kashmira have a husband named Roger that Scott (and I) didn't know about, and that was who Freddie first told along with Kashmira?

xyz
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait... Who's Scott?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 12 May 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson wrote:

Wait... Who's Scott?

Scott_Mercury

Anyway can someone verify my question which is the last part of my post? We need to get this correct.

xyz

Posted: 12 May 05, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog wrote:

Yes Kashmira's husband is a nice guy named Roger. They both visited Freddie and they noticed his kaposi sarcoma on his legs, and he told them his disease has no cure... and that he will die. I believe this was in 1990 or 1991.

And that's what his SISTER said, and she also said, her HUSBAND, Roger, was with her.

So Scott was confused, didn't know when he told me..so I didn't know either. That would mean Freddie did NOT tell Queen's Roger BEFORE Brian & John & that he told the entire band in Sept. 86.

What source did you use Frog to verify that Kashmira's husband's name is Roger ALSO and that REASON as well (the'yre noticing Freddie's sores) that he confided the truth to them?

Frog....Wait a minute...I thought Freddie told Kashmira in 1986! NOT 1990 or 91, so your story is conflicting too!

Oh this is all confused. Please people lets get the actual facts...and verifiable sources that check out.

xyz

Posted: 12 May 05, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog, I read the entire interview thanks...but there are some inaccuracies in it as well, one that IT even says so.

"Freddie Mercury died on November 24, 1991, with his parents at his bedside. (Editors note - this is inaccurate according to all other accounts of Freddie's death.)"

Frog, then this...

"At Ealing, Mercury acquired a reputation for flamboyance, once cutting up his mother's tablecloths to make a flowing shirt, and by the time he moved to London in the late Sixties, his extravagant taste in clothes suited him perfectly to his job, running a clothes stall in Kensington Market with a young man called Brian May."

Scuse me...Roger...ran the Kensington Market stall with Freddie. And that IS a FACT! (NOT Brian)!

Can't the press get anything right. Like most press INCORRECTLY saying Freddie died in 1992 (1991 is correct),or I read recently in one UK press that INCORRECTLY said Mary Austin owned the store Biba where she met Freddie (yeah..in her dreams..she had a customer service PR job there and was only an employee).

xyz

Posted: 12 May 05, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geez, no wonder WE are all confused when the press AND Media can't give us correct information.

Freddie was born in 1946, died in 1991 at 45.

Also....this would mean that Freddie told Kashmira very near the end of his life, if it was 1990, years after he knew and years after he told the band that he AIDS.

xyz

Posted: 12 May 05, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frog wrote:

http://mr-mercury.co.uk/mail_on_sunday.htm

The Cookes' (Kashmira and Roger Cooke) clearly remember the day they learned that he was HIV-positive. 'It was August 18, 1990', says Roger precisely. 'We were sitting in his bedroom having coffee, when he said suddenly, "What you have to understand, my dear Kash, is that what I have is terminal. I'm going to die." We saw these marks on his ankles and knew he was ill. After that, we talked no more about it.'

Scott_Mercury......PLEASE READ THIS. Kasmira's husband is named Roger. Freddie told Kash & Roger Cooke (her husband) not Roger Taylor, together in his bedroom, in 1990, that he had AIDS.

additional info from above interview with Kashmira...

"The kitchen of Kashmira Cooke's Nottinghamshire home was spotless, although warm and lived-in. Kashmira - sister of the late Freddie Mercury - smiles as she remembers. '

Once, in a previous home, Mercury had surprised Kashmira and her husband, Roger, when he called them up from Los Angeles to hear the couple sounding glum."

Scott, Kash's husband's name is ALSO Roger!

xyz
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No way..

As if Freddie's sister didn't know before 1990 that he had AIDS...c'mon.

People in the music business started saying it in the summer of 1987.

Before 1986 was over...I guarantee that Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon, Freddie's intermediate family, Jim Hutton, Mary Austin, and I am sure a few others in the circle knew Freddie was at least HIV positive.

I don't care how private you are... you don't hide AIDS from you friends and family for 4 years...

Especially when you start looking like Fred did the last 18 months.

Lets use common sense.

Arlene... I have Freddie's sister...on dvd ...saying that after the last show in 1986... "Freddie told me & Roger, at Garden, in late August 1986 that he may have HIV, they weren't sure"... then she says "He told the other band members a few weeks later in September."

Unless Freddie's brother in law Roger was in Queen too... I'd say this phrasing has to mean Roger Taylor.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How could Fred have told people he had AIDS in '86. He didn't even know until the following year. (I think)

This can't end well.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter freestone said Freddie didnt tell any one before 1987,as he said around mid 1987 is when things started to fall in place, and he told the band much later then he told his personal circle.
Even Brian said something about the Band not really finding out much till in the Mircle sessions, so Unless they started those right after the Magic tour there is no way he said that in 1986.

MY GOD spell it write.
Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie
We love you and miss you!

Freddie
you and only you............

Posted: 12 May 05, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sharon G., go make like a pineapple and bury yourself.

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 12 May 05, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You don't like me?

Posted: 12 May 05, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not when you post the same shit over and over.
Time to learn some new words.

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 12 May 05, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry about the repeats.

I have a Freddie obsession going on.

Posted: 12 May 05, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Scott, Show us some Poof of this! =)

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 12 May 05, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wstüssyb wrote:

Hey Scott, Show us some Poof of this! =)

And we would prefer additional accurate sources of pooves!

xyz