Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > I'm In Love With My Car...does it divide the fans?

forum rss feed
Author

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, one thing I've noticed with the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour so far, is that whenever the Roger Taylor-penned "I'm In Love With My Car" is mentioned, passionate feelings are aroused. (Wow, that sentence sounds naughty but I'm keeping it as it is)

Some say it's one of the highlights of the tour--Roger drumming away and singing at the same times. Others describe it as atrocious. Overall, (speaking of just the track itself) I've seen people describe it as one of Queen's best rockers but also seen it described as cheesy, corny and just a horrible song. I've never seen opinion so divided over a Queen song here.

So, tell us

1.) What is your opinion of the song I'm In Love With My Car?
2.) Why do you think opinion is so divided over it?

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a feeling becuase it was not a hit, it's mostly a Queen circle song, meaning every one who knows it, are major Queen fans, and one of the best songs that Roger sings, it fits his voice and style. (IMO)

MY GOD spell it write.
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the recorded version, it's a bit cheesy, but it has its tongue in cheek charm as well. I wouldn't listen to it over & over or deem it a classic....

...HOWEVER...live, now on the Queen+Paul Rodgers Tour, Roger breathes a whole new life into the song. Instead of coming off cheesy, he makes it a scorching, rauchous, "autoerotic" rocker big time and seems to totally enjoy putting his all into it and razing the rafters off every venue he performs it in. I have said this as well on other topics. It's one of THE BEST tunes on the current tour. I think it's a real favorite of Roger's and his personal affection of the song is noticably coming through with his exuberant all out rocker performance of the song.

xyz
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's one of the greatest Queen songs and Roger must be proud of this his 'baby'. Whenever he sings it - it sounds great, even when he forgot the lyrics once (in Amsterdam) and couldn't sing nothing more than "When I'm holding..." for few times.

I've named this version: "So what are you holding, Rog?"
http://www.bootlegsheaven.com/Justforfun/sounds/i'minlovewith90.wma

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

good song, not my fav by any means, but still good. for those who wanna talk about cheese, obvoiusly your listening to the wrong group. queen were never a band that lyrically took themselves to seriously.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 12 May 05, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love I'm In Love With My car; Roger's vocals sound great on it! A lot of people probably hate it just because it's just about a car and doesn't have any real significance. And then there's the people who hate Roger's voice or think that Freddie should be singing everything...

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do indeed like it..except the word 'automolove'.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never seen it described as cheesy, corny, horrible or atrocious.

I think it's one of Roger's very best songs, and one of the absolute highlights of ANATO. It's also been one of the best live tracks I've heard from this tour. I don't see it as being divisive at all. I think the vast majority love it.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a fantastic song, I love it. Great singing and rythm. A highlight both on ANATO and live. Just a shame he plays it so slow these days.

Live life to the full!
moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love it, its's very tongue in cheek and shows that he must have a sharp sense of humour.
It was actually written about Queens sound guy at the time John Harris who according to Roger was obsessed with his car!

Sairis user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I actually found out two days ago that that song was really really really cool! :) Never liked it before, but started to listening to it, just to give it another go, and I don't regret it ;)

"Mother Mercury, look what they've done to me"
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1) While Freddie's voice blows the other members of Queen's voices out of the water....Fred shouldn't sing EVERY song....I'm in Love with my car is a perfect song for Roger to sing.

2) In the United States, the studio version of "I'm in love with my car" from ANATO is used on the Jaguar car commercials.... so its actually considered to be a very refined, elegant song here in the United States.

3) When that commercial was running all the time, and I owned my music store before I sold it.... we would get calls all the time on people trying to figure out the band/ song on the Jaguar commercial.

4) In the United States, 2 songs from "The Works" album ruined Queen's reputation here in the States (most people wrongly presume it was something that Hot Space did...but Under Pressue was received here very well...and Body Langauge did better here than in the UK).

When it comes to cheeseball, hoaky....many music people in this country HATE "Radio Ga Ga" ...as in, they can't figure out what Queen was thinking.

And even before the video, many music fans assumed that Deacon penned "I want to break free" had to be a Mercury written ode to homosexuality.

The video for IWTBF did nothing but support the above false statement.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked it about 15 years ago, but now I just thinks it's silly. I'd much rather see Roger perform Heaven For Everyone or Sheer Heart Attack.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this song, but you're right in that those concert goers who are not major fans are a little bemused by this and '39.

At the wembley gig, Brian introduced '39 by explaining it was about time displacement (or whatever - I'm not technically minded in that way) and some girl behind said "in other words, it's crap!", which shows she was there for the hits.

As for it (IILWMC) dividing fans, there's loads of things that do that. I see lots of people who don't like songs like Sweet Lady, but I love that one! So there are all sorts of things that divide the fans. In fact there are opinions generally, and they are always going to divide any large group of people.

That was almost profound....

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's far better live than on record.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
MadeInMadhouse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am In Love With Car.. is classic!! separate people COME ON!! this song rules!! as Say Is Not True! like the 39 by Brian!!They are Classic!

"Sometimes the last thing you want to know is the truth" The Key.. Roger Taylor...
muttley15 user not visiting Queenzone.com
muttley15
Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the dog's bollocks!!!

listen to the breeze, whisper to me please, don't send me to the path of nevermore.......
muttley15 user not visiting Queenzone.com
muttley15
Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way if anyone would like a great example of Roger performing this song just watch the 1980's video/DVD of 'We Will Rock You' filmed in Montreal.

listen to the breeze, whisper to me please, don't send me to the path of nevermore.......
dixie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

love it live above average studio

NO MORTAL MAN CAN WIN THIS DAY
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 13 May 05, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think it's one of his best, but still the song 'sheer hear attack,' is probably his most kick ass song.