Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Became fans in 1991/result discovering Queen's music, or Freddies Death?

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 05, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am starting to notice more, after being a member myself of QZ for about 3 months, and a fan of Queen since 1975 when I was 14 and BoRhap came out in the USA,...

...that a LARGE amount of the NEW fans of Queen on their profiles on QZ...all say they became fans of Queen in 1991, after Freddie died.

This is a bizarre double edged sword.

I am VERY glad/happy to see so MANY NEW and younger Queen fans.

But it troubles me, (though does not surprise me) that they became fans in 1991 after Freddie died. Guess like alot of Rock icons who pass and grow larger in the limelight, people take notice and become fans.

Are there any of you on QZ who became fans in 1991, but...

...NOT due to Freddie's death, but just because of the music alone that you discovered?

Although I would think you may have heard Queen's music or seen it more in stores in 1991 due to Freddie's death. But...it would STILL count as you becoming a fan because of the fact that you discovered Queen's amazing music.

xyz
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 16 May 05, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene im one of the 1991 fans ... if you care to know more about me look at queen 2's posting Ogre Battle March of the black Queen

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 16 May 05, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and i will explain more about this if you like because its not just about Freddies death
Queen means alot more to me than that.

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!
jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I think a lot of younger people became fans not because of Freddie's death, but because of the inclusion of Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World. Nobody I went to school with knew who Queen or Freddie Mercury were before then but when that movie came everyone I knew suddenly owned a copy of Greatest Hits and Classic Queen. I think its often overlooked the impact that movie made stateside on album sales.

Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good question, Arlene. Well I knew them since the 80s but became their fan after Freddie's death, not in 1991 but in 1992. I never gave a damn even after his death until I had a dream of him, which I think was his spirit visiting me....Whether it was or not, after that dream I wasn't the same, and I started buying all the CDs etc. This obviously allowed me to realize their talent as a band! But it was because of that dream and all that happened afterwards that I became and stayed a Queen fan...most of all a Freddie "fan" though I love all members.

Honestly I don't think anyone would become a Queen fan because of Freddie's death. I just think his death may make people see Freddie in a different light, emphasizing his huge strength, courage, and deep values as a human being, not just his talents as a showman. There's nothing wrong in starting to admire a person because of the courage he/she shows. We all need models, examples that we can face life with a smile even when times get hard...I guess this is what his death did to many (well, not his death...his attitude towards it).

Fairy

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Vdo28 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1991 I was only 8 years old and heard Bohemian Rhapsody a lot on the radio.
I really became fond of the song, Later I got Greatest Hits I. From then on I really became a fan.
His divine voice...

Anyway I really did not know who Freddie really was till 1996, the I saw the first videos...
I "knew" he had passed away but I never had thought about it...

Always look at the bright side of life....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Iron Curtain fall in 1991 and we've got a lot of rock-music to Russia, though I've heard Queen's song ("Spread Your Wings") in 1986 for the first time ever.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Really wierd to think that some people were prevented from hearing music due to the regimes they lived in. Can't comprehend that. I'm lucky I guess!

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oberon wrote:

Really wierd to think that some people were prevented from hearing music due to the regimes they lived in. Can't comprehend that. I'm lucky I guess!

Yes we are very lucky.

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah you are... There were few guys who could got in the jail for listening 'wrong music' in the end of 70s in the USSR. Queen wasn't one of these 'wrong' bands, but they weren't 'right' neither.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Are there any of you on QZ who became fans in 1991, but...

...NOT due to Freddie's death, but just because of the music alone that you discovered?

In fact, I became a Queen fan after hearing The Show Must Go On. It was in September 1991. I was only 8 years old at the time. 2 months after I first heard The Show Must Go On.. Freddie died.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

Yeah you are... There were few guys who could got in the jail for listening 'wrong music' in the end of 70s in the USSR. Queen wasn't one of these 'wrong' bands, but they weren't 'right' neither.

Sergey...hard to believe such political tyranny exists or did exist. With all my complaints about the USA, one thing I love is that with the exception of the hideous chapter in our nation known as The McCarthy Era (in the 1950's), usa citizens are free to listen to, read, and watch any music, film, TV, literature, etc. without fear of being imprisoned. Glad things finally changed for the better in the Eastern block and the Iron Curtain is no more.

xyz
greantings user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi! Another 1991 fan in the house... I can't remember exactly, but I was 10 years old in 1991 and saw Mr Mercury on the news and instantly found the music very interesting (and I was kind of intrigued by Freddie's 70's clothing as well, actually), resulting in me stealing my brother's copy of the 'Innuendo' LP. And the rest is, er... history.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I discovered Queen's music in December of 1990. I had heard songs on radio but my mother was homophobic so Queen were banned from my house until my parents split so then my father uplifted the ban. First Queen album I had was a recorded copy of the 1981 Greatest Hits.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was a Freddie fan since 1987 with the Barcelona single, but i never knew who he was. only when he died i realised that most of my favorites songs were sunged by Freddie Mercury or Queen.
Ex: Radio ga ga, Breack Free, Friends will be friends.

I was not into music at all, but when i discover that my childhood favorite songs were played by the same band i just couldn´t resist, and here i am 14 years later, still going strong!

Take care

thanks freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
thanks freddie
Bohemian: 324 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Always did like Queen at the time i was a teenager. Radio Ga Ga, I want to break free, We will rock you and Bohemian Rhapsody (was 1 at the time of release) were my favorits. But i got older new music game alone and at school i go introduced to Rap and Housemusic. After The show must go on and Innuedo i got the interrest back in Queen but after i heard Freddie was sick i couldn't believe it.
And yes the death was a little part of the big interrest i have now in Queen but the most part is because of my childhoud. Seeing videoclips as I want to break free, Radio Ga Ga and Bohemian Rhapsody gets me back to a great time, but after seeing the wembley concert on video that was the time i slowly got a big fan that i am now.
Oke i don't have a collection as big as some of the queenzones on here but i'm getting there.

Michel

www.queenfan.web-log.nl

www.vrienden.wordpress.com

My personal DUTCH blog
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

Actually, I think a lot of younger people became fans not because of Freddie's death, but because of the inclusion of Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World. Nobody I went to school with knew who Queen or Freddie Mercury were before then but when that movie came everyone I knew suddenly owned a copy of Greatest Hits and Classic Queen. I think its often overlooked the impact that movie made stateside on album sales.

Not to mention all of the albums being re-released in '91. After being a fan for 14 years, I would hardly say I was a "new" fan. I couldn't help it that I was born too late to have seen Freddie live...:-S

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's true. I remember various Queen albums being in the top 50 Billboard for what seemed 2 or 3 years. I'm certain that Hollywood Records reissuing the albums in addition to Bohemian Rhapsody being on Wayne's World are solely responsible for their "comeback" in the United States. Without those two factors I think it would have never happened.

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I became a fan in early 1991 after discovering the Innuendo album. I was well-versed in Queen by the time Fred passed away and Wayne's World hit. I was a popular source of Queen mix tapes on my college campus all through 1992.

Blow it out your ass.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 17 May 05, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I became a bigger fan around Waynes World, with the constant playing of bo rhap on MTV, but in a sence I was a casual fans since 1980, CLTCL-AOBTD-WWRY-WATC being played a lot. Esp AOBTD and WWRY, I knew the words, but never really got into the band, Live at Wembley really got me into Queen from casual to more informed, as for some reason I love the live sound more, and wembley was one of the better live cd's out there.
Music was a huge thing in my family, with my moms favorite bands, Pink floyd,LZ,GNR and my father with Beatles and other odd-end british bands from the 60's and my uncle who lived with us knee deep into rolling stones and the who and blondie, so I was always hearing Queen here and there.

MY GOD spell it write.