Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The best, and worst, bits of the FM Tribute concert

forum rss feed
Author

fat_buddino user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 May 05, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apologies if this has been discussed previously. I'm fairly new to all this and was just interested in what everyone else thought. By the way this is the un-cut as shown on TV version I'm talking about here not the crappy edited to shite video/DVD release.

Highlights of the Freddie Tribute gig for me were,

1. Extreme medley
2. Bowie/Ian Hunter set
3. George Michael (goes without saying)
4. James Hetfield doing Stone Cold Crazy was scarily good! Suited his voice but didn't he look kind of lost without a guitar!?
5. Daltrey

Worst,

1. Bob Plant and Innuendo/Kashmir. Bitterly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I think Bob Plant is ace but substituting the 'wandering minstrel' guitar section for Kashmir did nothing for me and lets face, he spooned the whole song (if I'm blunt about it)
2. Bowie doing the Lords Prayer. Lovely thought but I can't help but shrivel with embarassment everytime I watch it
3. George Michael preaching. CRINGE!!
4. Liz Taylor being... well... like an embarrasing Nan
5. Paul Young. Nuff said
6. Liza. Can't help but think that when she walked on, everyone went 'Who?'

What the highlights and bad points for you guys?

Discuss...

The Nasty Queenies are back! What do you think of that!?
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anything having to do with Asshole Rose that night, in my opinion, ate total ass.

Asshole is passable in singing G-N-R songs.... but Asshole filling in for Freddie is like your wife telling you that Michael Jackson is going to be taking care of your "bedroom duties" from now on.

I thought Robert Plant's CLTCL was weak.
George Michael was great.
Bowie/Ronson, Ian Hunter set was great.

Bowie/Lennox sucked (if she could sing, that would be a plus).

Michael/Stansfield....would have preferred George singing TATDOOL alone.... Lisa Stansfield looked waaay hot that night though.

Liza Minelli?? What the F??
I'm not so sure that Deacon couldn't have sang a better "We are the Champions".

I am a Elton fan, his BoRhap left alot to be desired.... then when Asshole redbeard came out, wearing his skirt, and screaming his hoarse, out of tune...."So you think you can stomp me and spit in my eye eeeee I'ssssssss" ...... I reached for the puke bucket.

Not a whole highlights for me at the tribute concert.... I thought everyone made it even more clear how good Freddie is/was.

As far as the "hair bands" doing their songs, and Queen tributes.... whatever, I thought that was a wank festival.

Metallica and James "Exit Light-ta! Hetfeld can go eat fruit loops off Asshole's ass for all I care.

Gary Cherone, something about this guy I can't stand.... it could be because while he can somewhat sing... he can't sing 1/100th as I think he thinks he can.

that, and he ripped is look off of Darlene from the Rosanne show.

Def Leppard... again, whatever.
Leppard may be one of the worst live bands ever??

I'd have to get Asshole Rose to verify that is he was in the worst live band.

Whats funny is that about 2 weeks after this tribute concert.....
The likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice-N-Chains started taking over with the Seattle grunge scene....

The Def Leppard's and Extreme's were hardly ever heard of again.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
DarkQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 630 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The last time I actually saw the tribute concert was when they played it on TV back in '91. And all I can remember is being horrified at Axl Rose trying to pull off WWRY, so I guess that's the worst bit for me...

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The last time I saw it was 13 years ago, but I can clearly remember, that:

- Robert Plant sucked total ass on Innuendo
- Most acts were belove average
- Extreme was decent
- George Michael was great on STL
- There's no one like Freddie Mercury

Flick of the wrist
NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually thought Axl was great, and for me the highlight was Lennox and Bowie doing Under Pressure.

Worst moment of the night was Brian, I know he was probably miles away thinking this was the end of Queen but his guitar playing was dreadful, the original solo ( not the overdubbed VHS & DVD ) in Stone Cold Crazy was the worst piece of live gutar playing I have ever heard.

But the concert as a whole... Shite.

Actually the worst moment was Elton, didnt know whether to laugh or cry when he 'attempted' TSMGO, but I certainly had a good laugh when I saw him in that wig for the first time, bloody hillarious.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It pains me to say it being a big Who fan but I was disapointed with Daltreys version of I Want It All.
No disrespect intended to Roger, there could have been no better singer for the Who but he was seriously lacking in range to pull off a song written for Freddie.

That Said, I remember pissing myself laughing at Liz Taylors continual use of the word condom(which she pronounced cundum!)
And "Liza's" pub singer rendition of We Are The Champions was a hoot too!

sephiroth1395 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I'm a recent fan of Queen (about one year) and I was three old when they showed the concert...

I only could get WWRY sung by Axl Roses and it's...horrific in comparison with FM version.
But...I think he did what he could.

If one day I can see the whole concert (maybe via the sharing ?), I'll come back to the subject to give a more complete feeling.

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best - that John, Roger and Brian were able to do this at all! Watching someone ebbing away for years is devastating. And they had to adjust many of the songs because the performers couldn't reach Freddie's high notes. Liza Minelli was one of Freddie's favorite performers. There is a picture of them in the Queenzone picture gallery. Liza, just like Freddie, has enormous stage presence. I thought her bit was spectacular. Liz Taylor was one of the first celebrities to speak out about AIDS - she deserved to be there. Bless their hearts for all of the performers who came to sing. Queen always looked neat/polished no matter what costumes they were wearing (expert support by Peter Freestone, I imagine), no matter what hair length they had, no matter what stage set they had, no matter what they were singing.

The worst - I thought quite a few Tribute performers looked like unmade beds - messy, messy, messy.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best..def. George Michael on STL. Blew me away and had all the power, depth, and emotion not only that the song deserved, but that a tribute to Freddie deserved.

Michael's duet w/Lisa Stansfield on These Are The Days Of Our Lives was stunning too.

I bought Five Live with both tracks when it came out and both songs got tons of radio airplay here all that year as well, testimony to how well those 2 pieces were and to George Michael especially. (I also have that on George Michael's Greatest Hits "Ladies & Gentleman" double CD as well.

Worst..thanks Scott I love that...Asshole Rose, without a doubt. Screaching, whining no talent.

I was shocked though at how God awful Robert Plant was on Innuendo. For a singer of his range and talent...he totally blew it though. Off key, sounded uncomfortable even trying to sing it. I thought Brian did an amazing job on that though.

Liza & Liz were a bit overwrought in their pleas, but..they have also seen alot of their loved ones/celebrity friends succumb to AIDS...so I always consider that when I hear the sort of desperation in their words. Liz had lost Rock Hudson to AIDS, Liza lost her husband Peter Allan, to AIDS. So I was happy they put their celebrity to good use and if they came off a bit overemotional, think they had a damn good reason and their heart was most defintely in the right place.

Think all of Queen was also on all cylinders when they performed with George on Somebody To Love. Roger's drumming on that and Brian, John...that all get swept up in the emotion and urgency of the day, the song, Freddie...it's all there. That's not just a performance. It's like their own proclamation anthem of love and friendship to Freddie, and like I said the spirit of the day and the cause.

xyz
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the concert's been discussed previously and one performer I've always felt was underappreciated for his efforts that day was James Hetfield. Great performance on Stone Cold Crazy.

7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

best -- "Heroes"
worst -- Metallica (whole set)

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed-

Bowie + Ronson doing "heros" with the rest of Queen was the best of that night for me.

"All the Young Dudes" was great too.

Its like..

George's "Somebody to love"
And Bowie's set.... were the only highlights.

Asshole Rose is lucky I wasn't in the front row.... with a bazooka.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO
Best-I want to break free & Under pressure
Worst- spinal tap

MY GOD spell it write.
kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favourite bit was the Queen / David Bowie / Ian Hunter / Mick Ronson section.

In the early 70's my older brother was a Bowie fan and he tended to buy/see anything Bowie related - Bowie wrote 'All The Young Dudes' for Mott The Hoople (Ian Hunter & co) - Mott The Hoople toured with Queen as support - my brother bought the Queen album and I became a fan.

Mick Ronson is one of my favourite musicians ever both with Bowie and with others (Lou Reed's Transformer is a Ronson classic) so to see all of them on stage together was a magical moment for me - shame it was Mick Ronson's last live appearance (he died of cancer the following year)

I've just been to see Ian Hunter in Sheffield tonight (oops, last night now) and he is still a great musician/singer/entertainer and his most recent album (Rant) is better that the hits he had in the 70's

TheDrown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have mixed feelings about this, and I just want to state these are my own personal opinions, so don't be pissed if I god forbid question BM, etc.

For one thing, I would have liked more of a 'FM "TRIBUTE"- and this seems more like half a tribute and also, we haven't gotten to play in a few years, so lets play a concert also.

There actually aren't *that* many Freddie songs, are there? And, as others have suggested, why not have more of the people Freddie worked with, as opposed to Axl Rose? It's that method of thinking that gets us 5ive and Britney.

George was good, but the vocal show-offs on "These Are The Days Of Our Lives" seem just that- unneeded and a little insincere. Same with Liza, but the difference is, Freddie was a huge fan.

Monsaret and Peter Straker, Billy Squire, even Michael Jackson- even if you aren't fans of them, these are people Freddie worked with. I do understand bands like Extreme, etc. cited Queen as a huge influence, but still.

The vocals on WWRY are just horrible. Guns.. funny band. All image. No need to smoke a cig while you're playing anyhow- but to play at FM's tribute and have to act like that- well. If it didn't bother John, Bri, and Rog, I won't complain. It was cool to see Ronson again, especially on a non-Ziggy Bowie era song, as he didn't play on the studio version of "Heroes".

Could've been longer!

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best: George Michael
Worst: Robert Plant

Killed by drones.
DarkQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 630 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zaiga wrote:

The last time I saw it was 13 years ago, but I can clearly remember, that:

- Robert Plant sucked total ass on Innuendo
- Most acts were belove average
- Extreme was decent
- George Michael was great on STL
- There's no one like Freddie Mercury

I think that pretty much covers my views as well...

spikejrt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The worst bit - releasing the DVD with only half of the entire show on it....

Stu

the fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said, typical of QP to release "half-things"

anyway the wind blows...
kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Lord Of Darkness wrote:

TheDrown wrote:

Monsaret and Peter Straker, Billy Squire, even Michael Jackson- even if you aren't fans of them, these are people Freddie worked with. I do understand bands like Extreme, etc. cited Queen as a huge influence, but still.

Indead they shoudl have played. they where his friends, c'mon.

Possibly they were asked to play but didn't want to ? That could be a reason why they weren't there