Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > vocal harmonies until Jazz tour

forum rss feed
Author

JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 May 05, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I listen to concerts in the period 1974 - 1977 I think the vocal harmonies are really bad. Especially Roger is singing wrong. Don't get me wrong I love Roger's voice. I think it changed with the jazz tour. What was Queen's problem ? Didn't they have enough monitor ? Has any of you guys mentioned this before and what would be the cause of this vocal problem ?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 21 May 05, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO Brian was out of pitch many times, Roger was pretty much quite right

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. Roger was always "on" during the live shows. Brian would tend to go off a little. But then again, they really couldn't re-create what they did in the studio.

Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rogers on pitch while Brian is off sometimes. Thats probably why they turned his mic down a lot on Live At the Bowl.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 22 May 05, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FightFromTheInside wrote:

Rogers on pitch while Brian is off sometimes. Thats probably why they turned his mic down a lot on Live At the Bowl.

and John sings a cracking lead vocal - makes FM look average ;-)

go deo na h√Čireann
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO it was also Brian who was singing harmonies really badly- Roger was usually spot on

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JDL2nd wrote:

When I listen to concerts in the period 1974 - 1977 I think the vocal harmonies are really bad.

No way, it's the other way around... until 78 or so, their harmonies were incredible, but then as their show slowly moved towards being a visual thing, they concentrated less on things like harmonies.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I agree with GH. I was waiting for someone with more musical experience to state this opinion before I chimed in. IMHO opinion Queen's best harmonies were on the 74-3-31 (or was this overdubbed?).

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

JDL2nd wrote:

When I listen to concerts in the period 1974 - 1977 I think the vocal harmonies are really bad.

No way, it's the other way around... until 78 or so, their harmonies were incredible, but then as their show slowly moved towards being a visual thing, they concentrated less on things like harmonies.

I agree with you, Bob :-).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I think the vocal harmonies were at their best 73-74... as I think they concentrated more on the musical aspect of the performance - they probably rehearsed a lot more at this point also. Some people claim the Rainbow stuff is heavily overdubbed, which I doubt... its just mixed well, and I'm sure they would have put more effort in for their first pro-shot gig/s... although if you listen to some of the bootlegs of the band supporting Mott The Hoople in the US, they had the harmonies down really well.

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 23 May 05, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I know is even when it's just Freddie and Roger singing it sounds HUGE. On Fire is a great example of harmonies I feel.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
The Real Wizard

Posted: 23 May 05, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Yeah I agree with GH. I was waiting for someone with more musical experience to state this opinion before I chimed in. IMHO opinion Queen's best harmonies were on the 74-3-31 (or was this overdubbed?).

Honestly, I'm still not sure how much was overdubbed, but some was FOR SURE. There's one point in Liar where you can hear Freddie's lead vocal, and it overlaps the next line he sings. I'll check when I go home tomorrow for the exact point in the song.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 24 May 05, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah indeed, before 1977 the vocals were great. And in the 1977. I don't know What Roger did with his voice but he's singing soooooo bad.

I'm glad they payed a lot of attention to the harmonies on the current tour. It's really great! They're all singing so much better than when they had that homo with them

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 25 May 05, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Yeah indeed, before 1977 the vocals were great. And in the 1977. I don't know What Roger did with his voice but he's singing soooooo bad.

I'm glad they payed a lot of attention to the harmonies on the current tour. It's really great! They're all singing so much better than when they had that homo with them

John was gay? oh my

LMAO

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 May 05, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, so I took a few days!

For those who are interested, in the Rainbow 3-31-74 recording, check out the part right after "time after time"... Freddie sings "Liar" clearly before the previous line has ended. Overdub.

I listened to the recording yesterday, and there are a few points where the harmonies just sound too good to be true...

Mle2747 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 29 May 05, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

John was gay? oh my

HAHAHA

...Psycho hose beast...
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't agree with this. I think during the American NOTW-tour (1977) they sounded great with their harmonies, especially It's Late has some nice harmonies.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A good example of Queen harmonies is indeed Fat Bottemed Girls from Live At The Bowl (beginning bit). A bad example is on the second disc (Japan '82) in Teo Torriatte when it's just Bri & Fred. Perhaps this is why in later years i.e. '86 Spike did alot of the work Bri would have done years before. I personally think that pre-jazz harmonies were great. They then picked up again later with the addition of Spike. Who Wants To Live Forever being a good example.

James