Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Earls Court 1977

forum rss feed
Author

JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 05, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is perhaps my most favourite concert from queen. Great setlist, great drumkit and those "wonderfull haha" costumes Freddie wore. I wonder : is somebody here , a member, that was there at earls court back then ? It most have been a great experience.

chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 05, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't there but my cousin was. He was their lighting engineer for a few years and said that after those two gigs, the crown lighting rig that was used was so big that they had to cut it up just to get it out of the venue. He designed another one that was smaller and was used for the NOTW tours of the States and Europe.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 05, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I STILL don't get why QPL thinks this isn't worthy of releasing on CD/DVD. It's Fabulous!

What do they (Brian, Roger, Jim Beach) not like about it?


xyz
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

I STILL don't get why QPL thinks this isn't worthy of releasing on CD/DVD. It's Fabulous!

What do they (Brian, Roger, Jim Beach) not like about it?


possibly because there were some microphone glitches here and there on a few songs? thats the only reason I could think of.....I was just listening to that one a few days ago myself, and it certainly is great, though!


I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with you! Queen fans don't really care if there are any glitches or mics dropping in and out of the mix. We just want the footage. AND any extras that were filmed over those two nights. It would be a nice package if they were to interview people that were there including crew members, fans and the band members themselves. That would make up for and poor audio.

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aside from the mic glitches, the audio quality is excellent though....and presumably any official release would be better quality than a bootleg...


I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has no more glitches than MK. Apparently theres a problem with the piano mics or something, so they just need to patch in the soundbaord recording. The actual audio quality is better than MK, as is the picture quality.

don't_stop_me_now 9697 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

The actual audio quality is better than MK, as is the picture quality.

Really? I wonder then why they didn´t release Earl Courts instead of MK.. :/

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are several problems I can think of:

1.the way the concert was filmed. The camera angles are quite strage.
2.the acoustics of the venue are/were apparently horrible.
3.Maybe they think that the setlist could be uninteresting for newer fans, as there is no WWRY, WATC, CLTCL etc.

I wonder what about the second night at Earls Court. Did they have the same problems with the mics again? Was the audience better that night? I think these mic problems are more or less just an excuse for not releasing it. When planning to release this show they are most likely going to add some overdubs or patches anyway, so that shouldn´t be any serious problem really.




Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no problems with the way its filmed whatsoever - and it is archival footage, not a cutting edge production... the actual picture is a LOT sharper than MK. As for audio and the venues less than desirable acoustics... has little affect on the finished product - they have the multitracks to create the mix they want... people often comment on how quiet the crowd are at Earls Court... this is because the video circulating is merely a rough cut and doesn't include any of the ambience mic feeds, in fact it may just be the soundboard recording.

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the circulating video is quite lacking audience noise and doesn´t have a lot atmosphere, but I think there is no genuine sbd recording of the show circulating, all the audios are actually ripped from the video. But you are right they can mix what they want, so that shouldn´t be the problem. However the argument still remains that Earls Court doesn´t include many "big hits", so maybe they fear it could fail to sell well for that reason.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, but Queens 70's output is highly rated (much more so than their 80's output) and any such release would get great reviews and WOULD sell extremely well. It probably wouldn't sell quite as well as Wembley as it is basically a greatest hits set and is the erm... image of Freddie QP like to promote these days for the benefit of the typically non music buying public who have little knowledge of Queen as a rock band. QP to some degree have decided that 80's Queen is the most saleable, which I don't believe is the case whatsoever. A 70's release would also go down a LOT better in the US.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

Yeah, but Queens 70's output is highly rated (much more so than their 80's output) and any such release would get great reviews and WOULD sell extremely well. It probably wouldn't sell quite as well as Wembley as it is basically a greatest hits set and is the erm... image of Freddie QP like to promote these days for the benefit of the typically non music buying public who have little knowledge of Queen as a rock band. QP to some degree have decided that 80's Queen is the most saleable, which I don't believe is the case whatsoever. A 70's release would also go down a LOT better in the US.


Totally agree. I want something that does NOT have all the same old hits and 80's rehash stuff. Queen were at their artistic peak in the 70's and the Earl's Court setlist is fabulous, as is are the band's entire performances, the costumes, the sets, everything. It's WAY better than MK..and I love MK...

They can remix and correct any glitches. Just release the dam thing.. I'd bet the farm, it would probably turn out to be the best selling project QPL has put out to date...if they would think from a fan and artistic perspective...instead of a typical beancounting commercial perspective.

I love MK and Live At Wembley...but let's start seeing some definitive, artistic product now and stop repackaging the 80;s concerts over & over, which I love..but it's basically the same stuff, over and over.

Go back to the GREAT influential days/years of Queen...that defined them as one of music's most pioneering, innovative, and influential bands...in the 70's. Geez Louise!


xyz
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Great show, but IMHO Hammersmith '79 was better.


So release that too! Again, what are Brian's, Jim Beach's & QPL problems with releasing the MOST wanted, respected, and loved material by fans who WILL pay for this material on CD/DVD from the vaults?

It's like they are totally clueles on this matter.

I KNOW they read QZ and various fan sites, and get letters emails. They are very much aware of what IS in demand and waht WILL sell. So what's the damn problem?

P.S. Brian, Roger, Jim Beach, if you read this, you can quote me!


xyz
JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should release Earls Court !!!! But I also thought a double "Hammersmith dvd" should be interesting with the concert from 1975 and the concert from 1979 + some extras (if they excist). What do you think of that ???





_________
fun it

NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason they wont release this is in my opinion because they simply cant be bothered. Earls Court, Houston and Hammy'79 are all releasable but it would mean digging out the master video tapes and doing a full edit for the picture, aswell as cleaning them up, and doing a full audio mix in 2.0 and 5.1 from scratch.

Remember before MK was released Brian going on about how many problems they were having putting it together and how much of a bad state the masters were in, could you imagine the amount of whinging he would do if they deciced to work on Earls Court.

Look at Wembley, they stuck in the bits that were missing from the VHS and gave us the audio from the CD !!!!. They couldnt even be bothered to do a 5.1 mix, instead they 'expanded' the sound to give the illusion of 5.1.

And what are they talking about giving us next ?, Hammy '75 which will be taken straight from the BBC master tape with no audio mix because they dont have the multi-tracks, so that will be a nice easy job. And Budapest which will be another Wembley, another nice easy job.

I think it will be a looooong long time before we see any of the shows mentioned at the top of this post.




I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 05, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Negative Creep wrote:

Yeah, but Queens 70's output is highly rated (much more so than their 80's output) and any such release would get great reviews and WOULD sell extremely well. It probably wouldn't sell quite as well as Wembley as it is basically a greatest hits set and is the erm... image of Freddie QP like to promote these days for the benefit of the typically non music buying public who have little knowledge of Queen as a rock band. QP to some degree have decided that 80's Queen is the most saleable, which I don't believe is the case whatsoever. A 70's release would also go down a LOT better in the US.


Totally agree. I want something that does NOT have all the same old hits and 80's rehash stuff. Queen were at their artistic peak in the 70's and the Earl's Court setlist is fabulous, as is are the band's entire performances, the costumes, the sets, everything. It's WAY better than MK..and I love MK...

They can remix and correct any glitches. Just release the dam thing.. I'd bet the farm, it would probably turn out to be the best selling project QPL has put out to date...if they would think from a fan and artistic perspective...instead of a typical beancounting commercial perspective.

I love MK and Live At Wembley...but let's start seeing some definitive, artistic product now and stop repackaging the 80;s concerts over & over, which I love..but it's basically the same stuff, over and over.

Go back to the GREAT influential days/years of Queen...that defined them as one of music's most pioneering, innovative, and influential bands...in the 70's. Geez Louise!


For once, I agree 100% with you, Arlene.
Hey, feels good after all ;)

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 05, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Negative Creep wrote:

Yeah, but Queens 70's output is highly rated (much more so than their 80's output) and any such release would get great reviews and WOULD sell extremely well. It probably wouldn't sell quite as well as Wembley as it is basically a greatest hits set and is the erm... image of Freddie QP like to promote these days for the benefit of the typically non music buying public who have little knowledge of Queen as a rock band. QP to some degree have decided that 80's Queen is the most saleable, which I don't believe is the case whatsoever. A 70's release would also go down a LOT better in the US.


Totally agree. I want something that does NOT have all the same old hits and 80's rehash stuff. Queen were at their artistic peak in the 70's and the Earl's Court setlist is fabulous, as is are the band's entire performances, the costumes, the sets, everything. It's WAY better than MK..and I love MK...

They can remix and correct any glitches. Just release the dam thing.. I'd bet the farm, it would probably turn out to be the best selling project QPL has put out to date...if they would think from a fan and artistic perspective...instead of a typical beancounting commercial perspective.

I love MK and Live At Wembley...but let's start seeing some definitive, artistic product now and stop repackaging the 80;s concerts over & over, which I love..but it's basically the same stuff, over and over.

Go back to the GREAT influential days/years of Queen...that defined them as one of music's most pioneering, innovative, and influential bands...in the 70's. Geez Louise!


Queen were at their peak commercially here in the US in 1977 and the Earls Court or even the Houston Summit shows would do BIG BUSINESS here in the States. I say release Earls Court 1977 or Houston Summit December, 1977 next!


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 05, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

It has no more glitches than MK. Apparently theres a problem with the piano mics or something, so they just need to patch in the soundbaord recording. The actual audio quality is better than MK, as is the picture quality.


Every live release has been patched up somewhere, so where's the problem?

Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 05, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The second night at Earls Court must be better. The footage of Killer Queen from Rare Live is great!
The first night was probably more of a warm up for the film crew much the same as the first night at Wembley.