Forums > Queen - General Discussion > John Deacon's voice

forum rss feed
Author

KillarQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 05, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have any of ever edited a song to where the only thing playing was the backing vocals? (I never done that sort of thing so I wouldn't know how to do it or know how hard it is). I wonder if you could edit it down to where the only thing playing was John Deacon's backing vocals. He's said that his singing voice is horrible and I wonder how true that is. coming to think of it, I've never heard his voice in a interview or anything.

--KillarQueen

Is this the real life

Is this just fantasy

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

Look up to the skies and see
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 26 May 05, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His voice was horrible, so he didn't sing backing vocals. Only live sometimes. People who say he did sing are ignorant and deaf

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
KillarQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 26 May 05, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I was implying was what his occasional live voice sounded like

Is this the real life

Is this just fantasy

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

Look up to the skies and see

Posted: 26 May 05, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look for a recording from Somebody to Love from the 1977 tour. You can hear John clearly there. It's the raspy way out of tune voice :)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

Posted: 26 May 05, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look for a recording from Somebody to Love from the 1977 tour. You can hear John clearly there. It's the raspy way out of tune voice :)

Posted: 26 May 05, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To say people are ignorant because they say that John doesn't sing is harsh.

It's like me calling you a prat because you say he does sing even though 98% of evidence points against it, such as linear notes and quotes like "John didn't sing" or "I don't sing" or "Just Fred, Bri and Rog sang" etc (however, I am NOT calling you a prat lol)

Posted: 27 May 05, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright sorry :)

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=salmon>:Dust:Biter:</b> wrote:

Isn't John's voice on some of the early songs, like Liar? I'm not just saying this because John "sings" in the video, but I thought he was actually on the record? Of course he sings on the live versions because he shares Freddie's microphone. Unless he is miming... Hmmmm

On the record, it's definitely a pitch shift on either Freddie or Roger's voice (it's been a while since I've heard it, sorry), but since I've never heard a live version I don't know what was done here. With John's voice being as obviously buggered as the others here say, my bet would be that it was either someone off stage singing in sync with him, or Roger/Brian was discreetly doing it.

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
Brianmay1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brianmay1975
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen to Someobody To Love from the Earl's Court 1977 video. John's voice can be heard there.

Oh and there's some strange mp3 on the hub, labeled "John sing!" (yeah I know it's misspelled, but that's the name of the mp3). It's somebody singing for half a minute a funny song. The lyrics are: "If we must end it all dead, won't you please give us a break, just take a walk to the park then and then you can jump in hte lake" and then there's some laughs and another voice says: "Yeah I think I can play that... yeah folks". The singing voice is said to be John's and it looks like his indeed (though it's hard to actually tell it straight, since we have nothing to compare it to). It seems to me like the whole thing was part of a TV or radio show. Anybody know something more about that and if it is John indeed? I can make a torrent of it in here tomorrow, if anybody's interested :)

I LOVE QUEEN!

"My guitar was my weapon and my shield to hide behind" (Brian May)

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe that's Brian singing that little ditty. From his Howard Stern Show appearance.

Blow it out your ass.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh where is Sebsatian where you need him...

Deacon did sing, but as Queen did something like 700 live shows and 180 studio songs, I'm not going to play 'pick the Deacon' with you.
In his defence, he wasn't necessarily out of tune. In Earls Court, you can hear him during Somebody to Love, and he's in tune, but I guess he just wasn't happy with the sound of his voice. You can have perfect pitch but still sound awful.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
tupincs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about his speaking voice? I like it, it's low and a bit funny. I never heard him singing.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Once again a very good example is:

Milan 14.9.1984 during Radio Ga Ga, listen to the chorus, you can hear John very clear. He sings as he speaks, with an accent.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John did sing backup on Killer Queen at Hammersmith 1975 as he sang the lowest ANYTIME Brian did the second falsetto(which was somehow mixed out) and Roger the highest. John also sang live on In The Lap Of the Gods...Revisited the woah woah la la la woah woah woah la la woah wa and he stopped before the ending ooooohhhhhh. Another John backing vocal was on We Will Rock You(slow) on Houston 1977(you can hear John singing the same pitch as Freddie). He would also sing the all day long part live on Liar. His most famous is Somebody to Love Earls Court and on Houston 1977 where he sang the lower part on the find me somebody to love find section. He sang occasional backing vocals. On later Somebody to Love versions, he would sing the somebody part with Roger as Brian finished his middle guitar solo to go back to the microphone.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Extremly badly might I add.

James

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts

Posted: 27 May 05, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R-t-B

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come