Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Politeness, seeding and the sharing spirit.

forum rss feed
Author

djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 05, 23:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel like having a rant here. I can't believe how impolite so many people are here. Let me come with a few examples.

My recent Hammersmith Complete torrent (http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=548474). The torrent file was downloaded over 250 times, yet only 7 people bothered to say thank you.

roblov posted the video to the same show. (http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=536454) The torrent file downloaded 188 times, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON SAYING THANK YOU.

Other torrents fare better (Kassel with 269 torrent downloads gets a whole 11 thank you's)

The recent Milkaukee 75 got about 25 thank you's, but considering it was downloaded 336 times, that's not a great deal..

I could go on and find many other examples, but I'm sure you get the point.

People go out of their way to share high quality, and in some cases quite rare Queen boots, only to have hundreds of freeloaders just take them without even the decency to say thank you. If people don't realise the good quality downloads will dry up in this sort of climate, they should wake up and smell the roses.

The same goes with not seeding once you have completed the download. Richard will introduce a sharing ratio soon, and that will sort the problem out, but it's incredible common decency can't do the job. I am currently seeding 4 shows. If everyone did the same, there would never be a problem with any of the torrents posted here.

We need to develop a sharing spirit here if we want this place to thrive. Even if you haven't got a lot to share, you can at least say thank you to the people that do, and continue to seed when you have downloaded something.

Otherwise, this place will go to the dogs.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always say thank you when I download stuff, and think it`s the least i can do when somebody are sharing stuff here.
I try to upload and help as many as possible here, but my bandwith has it`s limitations. I can`t be blamed for having a crap upload speed, and i`m sure other people are in the same position. BUT, the ratio seeders/downloaders are too low. I`m sure many of the downloaders have good upload speed also, so if everyone would seed no matter the speed, the totalt upload speed would be faster also. A win-win situation.

Posted: 29 May 05, 01:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheGame wrote:

I always say thank you when I download stuff, and think it`s the least i can do when somebody are sharing stuff here.
I try to upload and help as many as possible here, but my bandwith has it`s limitations. I can`t be blamed for having a crap upload speed, and i`m sure other people are in the same position. BUT, the ratio seeders/downloaders are too low. I`m sure many of the downloaders have good upload speed also, so if everyone would seed no matter the speed, the totalt upload speed would be faster also. A win-win situation.

Sure. I'm in a similar situation. My upload speed isn't anything to write home about, but I always say thank you, and I always seed when I am finished and when requested. Simple courtesy.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah... Some people became too much arrogant around there :( My parents taught me when I was a kid to say 'thank you' any time when it's has to be said.

I've posted here recently very rare snippets of video from Moscow after-party show and just a couple of 'thanks' got back. Though this video is really damned rare and can be bought only from some collections of Russian Queen fans.

gaspar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

djaef, you're right 100%. I'm a nwebie here, but I've learned to say thank you and to seed one o two days at least,this is what my adsl quality allows. I've got few shows, so my little contribution to forum was: to upload mp3 format and to upload with rapidshare. It isn't a better idea? Who needs the files he'll got 'em.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry I couldn't say thank you for the Hammersmith (and video)torrents, I already had them both.

But boy... You got this problem right by it's balls and

SHARE RATIO RULES!

Well that was al I wanted to say about this.

Thank you.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Addition: THE SEEDERS AT HAMMERSMITH 79 AND MUNICH 2005 LEFT TOO :@

Losers...

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do try to at least give a little thank you or some such thing when I dl something from somebody....as for torrents, those just dont seem to work for me....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Djeaf, you are completely rigth. When i`m downloading some show. I always say thank you.

At this moment i`m seeding 4 older shows.
Stockholm
Copenhagen
Barcelona
London 75 (swedish broadcast)

More seeders are welcome ;)

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about the disappointing behaviour of 90% of the downloaders here. But it has always been like this. When we had the mp3 server only a very small fraction of the downloaders ever posted a thank you on the notice board or in an email. With the BitTorrents people must register to QZ to download the torrent file. Most of them never post on the notice board at all. It does not mean they are all ungrateful leeches, many don't speak English or are too shy to post on this (chaotic and sometimes very unfriendly) message board. I can assure you that there are thousands of happy fans who download what you share, you only never know. If you need more feedback for what you share, BitTorrents is the wrong method. On Dimeadozen you have the same situation- hundreds of downloads and just a few thank you posts.

A sharing ratio is the only way to force people to keep seeding their downloads, I agree. I am sure Richard will create this feature as soon as he can. It avoids the grab and run policy to a certain extent. However, it won't keep people from selling stuff they get for free or from taking all they can at the minimum sharing ratio and never give something back. You will always have a certain portion of people who abuse your generosity. It's better to focus on the ones who appreciate what you do.

I do not want any google ads here.

rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always make the effort to say thankyou..

Right now I'm seeding only 3 shows but I hope it can help some people out:

New Jersey 9.8.82 Life Is Real
23.02.78 Live In Paris
28.08.84 Live In Dublin

Sometimes I wonder if I'm seeding right though, as it always says my upload ratio is like 0 bytes..

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

I agree about the disappointing behaviour of 90% of the downloaders here. But it has always been like this. When we had the mp3 server only a very small fraction of the downloaders ever posted a thank you on the notice board or in an email. With the BitTorrents people must register to QZ to download the torrent file. Most of them never post on the notice board at all. It does not mean they are all ungrateful leeches, many don't speak English or are too shy to post on this (chaotic and sometimes very unfriendly) message board. I can assure you that there are thousands of happy fans who download what you share, you only never know. If you need more feedback for what you share, BitTorrents is the wrong method. On Dimeadozen you have the same situation- hundreds of downloads and just a few thank you posts.

A sharing ratio is the only way to force people to keep seeding their downloads, I agree. I am sure Richard will create this feature as soon as he can. It avoids the grab and run policy to a certain extent. However, it won't keep people from selling stuff they get for free or from taking all they can at the minimum sharing ratio and never give something back. You will always have a certain portion of people who abuse your generosity. It's better to focus on the ones who appreciate what you do.

Thoughtful post YV, you are completely right.

I don't get hung up on getting thank you's but I'm sure everyone agrees, it is nice. But yes, we should share because we love spreading the music not because we want acclaim. It's a nice feeling simply to share the music :)

wesi72 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think saying thanks is just politeness, but it's not just on this board that people forget. I've posted stuff on EZTree, STG and Traders Den and got loads of downloads, but not many thanks. It also bugs me when people complain about stuff they are getting for free...if you don't want it then delete it.
As for ratios, unfortunately I think the problem will get worse as more and more UK ISPs introduce transfer limits. BT will shortly be limiting me to 30GB a month. I try to upload about twice as much as I download but may have to rethink that policy (or do more good old fashioned vining of shows!).
Also, if you are on a torrent which has just been seeded, quite often you can be on a ratio of more than 1 or even 2 by the time it's completed downloading. My ratio on Hammersmith complete was 2.3 as it completed the download. Can I just stop then? Again, people should seed for a few hours after completion, keep the torrent file and look out for reseed requests. Ratio's will help, but will not solve the problem.

Cheers,

Andrew
Froz1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have downloaded quite a bit from here - I would share stuff if I actually had anything to upload - I have been seeding quite a lot of stuff recently though.

I would seed more, for longer but due to only having about 3gig usable harddrive space, when it gets full I have to stop seeding files and burn them to disc, otherwise I wouldn't be able to download much myself.

Being only 20 years old, and only ever having been to 1 queen gig (birmingham 2005 and awaiting to go to the Hyde Park gig) my queen collection is small, comprising only of released material. Even though I haven't posted thank yous in every thread that i've downloaded from, it doesn't mean i'm an ungrateful leech, from now on though i will say thank you, as i do appreciate the effort that everyone is putting in.

I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to all who have uploaded concerts and such, and long may it continue.

bobmaster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree. i downloaded a few videos off the same person in different threads but just said thank you in one of the threads, so i dont know if that counts as being guilty.
but definately, a simple thank-you post doesn't cost anything and i'll keep it in mind as well in case i forget.
and i hope everyone else keeps it in mind as well and please keep uploading videos as there are a lot of grateful people here

bokkepoot user not visiting Queenzone.com
bokkepoot
Royalty: 1941 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have downloaded almost all the torrents. I try to re-seed them as much as possible. I'm sharing, on request, lots of old torrents (like the whiteadmin announces). This is what I can do for the torrent community. It is impossible to share everything at the same time, but I let to rolate it. Everytime where I read that the downloads are stuck at xxxx%, I jump in to help.
Hopefully more people can help with re-seeding.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 29 May 05, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thank someone for sharing when i'm downloading.

bokkepoot

Posted: 29 May 05, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is great news Richard !!!

On a few torrents i'm under 1.0 index seeding, but I try to help the community with bringing back old torrents.

Please forgive me when I'm "quick" away after downloading. I burn all the torrents as raw folder to a backup DVD. I have already burned 15 DVD's full of queenzone torrents.

On request, I bring them back to keep "death-torrents" alive.

bokkepoot

Posted: 29 May 05, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Really great Richard.
It is much easier to jump in if needed.

Not everybody is as crazy as me to burn all the raw data on DVD-recordables for the pleasure of others, so I appreciate this new function.
What is shared to the Queen community must be available for anyone, anytime.
I try to help you all with "reanimating death torrents"

Posted: 29 May 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bokkepoot, I think what you do is awesome.

I'm not as organised as I'd like to think. I already have trouble backing up my own collection :)

I like to fiddle with track names etc as well, so often I ruin any chance of myself reseeding. Thank God for people like you.

I try to seed a lot in the days after I download because I know I'm sometimes no good for reseeding later on.