Forums > Personal > The Darkness...Has the 'joke' worn too thin?

forum rss feed
Author

KEVPAR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 701 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With the announcement that Franke has left The Darkness citing 'musical differences' what is your view of The Darkness as a band?

Are they defining a new kind of retro genre? or are they a joke which has now inevitably worn thin?

They are certainly over due a new album?! the traditionally 'difficult second album' after such a successful first?

what do you think?

Kev x

"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked the album at first but got bored very quickly and now I actually tend to forget that I have it unless someone reminds me that there's a band called The Darkness.
Maybe they were just lucky but there's loads of better music out there. I just don't care too much about them..
And they are certainly not defining a new kind of anything. Everything they do has been done before.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

though i don't think bands must create something new in music i have never taken too seriously "the darkness"...and they are a bit prisoners of their clichè

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I quite like them.. I sometimes listen to their music... :)

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... I don't know the future plans of the Darkness... But I quite liked their Rock 'n Roll kind of style. I hope they'll not lose that. In fact, they are the only "young" band in that genre at the moment.

Never mind. I think they need to have a stronger own identity. Maybe they are too much a copy of...

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...Queen?

Try Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin - plenty of bands.

And a copy? More fans of making the kind of music they like. People talk about The Darkness being a joke band, if so - why take them so seriously then?

In honesty, it's just like when people jumped on the "I hate Paul Rodgers/Queen shouldn't tour/poor Freddie r.i.p." bandwagon. People criticise The Darkness becuase it seems to be the done thing. In honesty, they're actually pretty good. Live are amazing. They write catchy tunes, good rock n roll - the sort of the the charts need, none of that lifeless Rooster and McFly crap.

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, it's what the charts need but the charts suck.

- Aldous Huxley
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was some beautiful guitar work on that album- some tracks sounded even like AC/DC, Aerosmith or Queen... Which is good- if the music like this gets airplay- that's better than fuckin' Keane, Franz Ferdinand or other Charts crap or whinny, pseudo-arty Coldplay stuff... All those bands sound the same anyway and have no balls whatsoever... BUT- the vocal parts... This IS the joke that wore thin. It could have worked once. It's not gonna work again. Oh- and please- this Christmas song was just too much Spinal Tap for me- absolutely awful... However- overall- it's good when guitar oriented music (riffs and all) becomes popular, nothing's wrong with that. Doesn't happen too often...

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're spot on there.

They're what we need, but are not the best, yet still pretty good. It's all about Muse, the Foo's etc. I feel that these sort of bands are the only ones who do something different, do it their own way.

Those people you mentioned, Coldplay, Keane, Franz Ferdinand - what's the point? Boring artists where each track sounds the same. Monotonous. Particularly Coldplay. And it makes me cringe when people refer to them as a band and Chris Martin as a musician as "rock and roll". Bollocks are they. Franz Ferdinand are boring, same as the Kaizer Chiefs, and Future Heads etc etc the list goes on...

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so they were a joke? i didn't find them funny

just a poor copy of so many different 70s bands

sweet
glitter
purple
rainbow
led zep
and our very own queen

if anyone thinks "throwing every rock influence you can think of" into one album is a way of creating a new style, then they'll love the new oasis album

this kinda stuff is (imo) lazy and quite frankly .....SHITE!!!

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=#ff7f00>Brenski</B> wrote:

so they were a joke? i didn't find them funny

just a poor copy of so many different 70s bands

sweet
glitter
purple
rainbow
led zep
and our very own queen

if anyone thinks "throwing every rock influence you can think of" into one album is a way of creating a new style, then they'll love the new oasis album

this kinda stuff is (imo) lazy and quite frankly .....SHITE!!!

I haven't heard one good thing about the new Oasis... my friend said if you have all the other albums you certainly dont need the new one cos it's all the same.

But speaking of The Darkness, I sent a copy of their album to a friend of mine and he thought it was Def Leppard.

- Aldous Huxley
Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Weren't people labelling Queen as copying Led Zep back in the early days...

You people really should know better.

The Darkness are great.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach wrote:

The Darkness are great.

when i first heard them, i unaffectionately referred to them as "the dankness", and i still stick by this

there's a huge difeerence between "inspirational influences" and blatant copying - the dankness are (at best) a tribute band and at the worse end of their repetoire a "stars in their eyes" attempt gone horribly wrong

go deo na h√Čireann

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=#ff7f00>Brenski</B> wrote:

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach wrote:

The Darkness are great.

when i first heard them, i unaffectionately referred to them as "the dankness", and i still stick by this

there's a huge difeerence between "inspirational influences" and blatant copying - the dankness are (at best) a tribute band and at the worse end of their repetoire a "stars in their eyes" attempt gone horribly wrong

LOL
agreed!

- Aldous Huxley
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love The Darkness, but they've taken way too long to release their second album! Interest is beginning to die down about them and it was supposed to be released already...

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"...supposed to be released..." is very different to "...rumoured to be released..."

The Darkness have never said it was gonna be released at any specific time, except hopefully this year.

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a Darkness fan at all, but I think that novelty factor that attracted people to them has worn off. There probably listening to real rock bands now.

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Garbage have been around for 10 years and have released 4 albums. There's no release time that needs to be met. I always dislike when people think it's been too long since so and so released their last album, what's taking so long, etc. etc.

I was never into The Darkness, but I was interested in what they were up to and where they'd be in 5 years. So, I guess I am still wondering what they're up to. And yes, the singing style can wear thin. I remember them before they were famous. I watched a late night show on BBC Horizons called "Roadies" and the darkness were on it. I really hated the singing, then. I have since grown to accept it. But sometimes I wish for a full voice to burst out at certain moments. Ach well...

Peace,
Adam.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

There was some beautiful guitar work on that album- some tracks sounded even like AC/DC, Aerosmith or Queen... Which is good- if the music like this gets airplay- that's better than fuckin' Keane, Franz Ferdinand or other Charts crap or whinny, pseudo-arty Coldplay stuff... All those bands sound the same anyway and have no balls whatsoever... BUT- the vocal parts... This IS the joke that wore thin. It could have worked once. It's not gonna work again. Oh- and please- this Christmas song was just too much Spinal Tap for me- absolutely awful... However- overall- it's good when guitar oriented music (riffs and all) becomes popular, nothing's wrong with that. Doesn't happen too often...

The difference between The Darkness and bands like Franz Ferdinand, Jet, Keane, or Muse is that these latest bands mentioned show their musical influence on their work, but at least make the effort to re-invent it and give it an sense of originality. The Darkness does nothing but carbon-copy every single cliche and riff from 70s & 80s bands like Queen or AC/DC, without even trying to bring any original sounds.

It's all a matter of taste, there's some people who appreciate originality and others who don't mind being sold the same product over and over again.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 05, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jingles- what's original with Franz Ferdinand...? Tell me- I may have missed something...