Forums > Personal > The best of 2005 music

forum rss feed
Author

eggy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3358 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who says music is dead?
Here are a bunch of reasons why 2005 has had the best music for donkeys years. Generally I go for crashing guitars or epic long indie-rock outfits.

Anyone can feel free to made additions - however don't bother with music nowadays is shit reply. Ta.

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger. This is fantastic stuff. Listen to Apply Some Pressure and Graffiti for proof. Going Missing and The Coast is always changing also.

Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll. Emily Kane is probably the best love song of the year. Witty clever lyrics and a brilliant vocal performance. These boys will go far. Good weekend is another fantastic song.

Redjetson - New General Catalouge. Have a Bloc Party support slot and will go on to big things. Epic is the only word to decribe them. Pieces go missing is 10 minutes of pure bliss.

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment. Predictable pick, as they've crossed the bridge to mainstream, however I Predict A Riot is amazingly great! Brit pop rocks!

The Boxer Rebellion - Exits. Saw these boys live a month or so ago. Better live than on tape, brilliant. Lay Me Down is the highlight to me.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm. Awesome, took a while to grow on me, but boy when it did it's good! So Here we are and Helicopter are fantastic singles. Great live too!

and finally...

The Arcade Fire - Funeral. The best album in my memory. Probably the best LP since Pulp's A Different Class. Rebellion (Lies) Wake Up and recent single Power Out are standouts amongst a fantastic album. Top of my to see live band list. £50 tickets at the astoria put me off, but next time they tour I shall be there!

Albums I'm looking forward to:

Magic Numbers - How good is forever lost! Seeing them at barfly tomorrow night which will be the third time I've seen them.
Editors - Bullets and Munich are two of the best songs of the year. July album will be great, fantastic when I saw them at the barfly a couple of weeks back.
Apartment - Saw them supporting Editors and seeing them headline in a couple of weeks. Everyone Says I'm Paranoid is awesome. Morrisey style vocals to me, but fantastic in their own right.
The Subways - Oh Yeah is great, cute chick too.

Many more but that will do for now!

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll do this in the same thread as I can't be arsed to start two off.

Opinions on the new Oasis album? I think it's alright. If it was anyone else I think we'd hear alot more about it. They aren't going to do another Definitely Maybe or What's The Story but I think I like it. Lyla was a good choice for a single, but it's nowhere near the best song of the LP. I do like the last song Let There Be Love.

And.

Coldplay X&Y. Well it's growing on me slowly, and I mean slowly. I like Politik style Coldplay and none of this really fits that bill. Fix You, Square One, Talk and Speed of Sound are great though. I don't really like White Shadows. I'm sure it's got more grow on it though. Good stuff and I'm sure I was just building it up too much.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coldplay & Foo Fighters are releasing new albums this month - looking forward to that !

Apparently The Strokes, Dido & The White Stripes are also bringing out new cds this year as well !

Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Kasabian, Bloc Party. 2005 is very, very healthy. Better news is that at this years Glastonbury Carl Barat and Pete Doherty could be reunited on stage. That would be fantastic and aid Pete's recovery I know he is a crackhead but he is also an amazing song-writer.

As for Oasis from what I've heard of the new albun its shaping up pretty well.

Guess who's back?
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO this year is REALLY good, but for COMPLETELY different reasons. All those Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplays and Oasis- sorry, nott my cup of tea, really don't like it.
BUT
This year we already had Nick Cave's triple CD "B-sides and Rarities" (some stuff there is better than what we already knew...), Sytem Of A Down "Mezmerize" (awesome album) and obviously- we had the tour with Paul :) On Monday new Dream Theater is out- and they changed again- from really heavy into something Muse-ish... From what I've heard (few tracks leaked)- it's gonna be great. September- DVD, Sheffield. Great.
SO- this is GOOOOOD year, but... for different reasons. So what? :)

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your a metal man, Fenderek!

The White Stripes album is out tomorrow along with The Tears too. Think it will be cool cool!
The Strokes have finished their album, but I think release will be Christmas time or new year.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nick Cave and metal? ;) C'mon! :)

Fraz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coldplay is best in 2005 by a huge margin IMO.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I myself am excited about the new Foo fighters album.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

IMO this year is REALLY good, but for COMPLETELY different reasons. All those Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplays and Oasis- sorry, nott my cup of tea, really don't like it.
BUT
This year we already had Nick Cave's triple CD "B-sides and Rarities" (some stuff there is better than what we already knew...), Sytem Of A Down "Mezmerize" (awesome album) and obviously- we had the tour with Paul :) On Monday new Dream Theater is out- and they changed again- from really heavy into something Muse-ish... From what I've heard (few tracks leaked)- it's gonna be great. September- DVD, Sheffield. Great.
SO- this is GOOOOOD year, but... for different reasons. So what? :)

Apart from the Nick Cave stuff I was going to mention the exact same stuff. Don't care for the "trendy" Kaiser Chiefs etc. but really love the new SOAD album, and looking forward to 8VM (only heard the 30 sec. clips, but sounded pretty cool). You really have a good taste in music (y)

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

may raise a few eyebrows, but i LOVE Robert Plant's new album. And Coldplay of course - they've had a great year. :D

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oasis, Coldplay, Shakira, and The White Stripes have their albums coming out the same day.

That should break the record for most shit albums being sold in one day since N*SYNC released 'No Strings Attached'.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF399> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

What's wrong with Oasis? and coldplay? and white stripes?

OASIS
By now they've run out of Beatle songs to rip-off, and they've just faded away since their first 2 albums. They were never good in the first place. There's no doubt that The Gallagher brothers are better entertainers when they beat the crap out of each other.

THE WHITE STRIPES
Without a doubt the most overated band on earth. I remember listening to 'Elephant' and although I have to admit that 'Seven Nation Army' and 'The Hardest Button to Button' are superb songs, the rest of the album is a pile of crap.

COLDPLAY
The least bad out of the 3, but as Yoda would say... fuckin' boring they are.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Fraz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coldplay & Oasis like i mentioned before.
some other's i forgot to mention

1>Kaiser Cheifs
2>The White Stripes
3>Maximo Park
4>Keane
5>Rufus Wainwright
6>James Blunt
7>The Bravery
8>The Killers
9>Bloc Party
10>Gwen Stefani Plus others i could mention!

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dresden Dolls are fantastic. There are on my must see list at Glastonbury.

Razorlight tonight at a really small venue, The Gargage. Should be fantastic!!

I'll not even go into the idiocy of calling Coldplay and Oasis talentless.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oasis and Coldplay are boring, you're right. Well, Oasis were good, but I'd be a dissapointed fan if my favourite band took time out and came be with something completely the same as to what I've heard before.

But give it a rest, the White Stripes being the most overrated? Blues/rock is an awesome combo, and a genre they've kinda reinvented themselves per se. And Ball & Biscuit.... what a track! I got the new album yesterday, and to be honest, at first I was dissapointed, I was hoping for something heavier, but I'm sure it will grow on me, like most albums. Although, Blue Orchid and a track called Instinct Blues are great tracks.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oasis and Coldplay are boring, you're right. Well, Oasis were good, but I'd be a dissapointed fan if my favourite band took time out and came back with something completely the same as to what I've heard before.

But give it a rest, the White Stripes being the most overrated? Blues/rock is an awesome combo, and a genre they've kinda reinvented themselves per se. And Ball & Biscuit.... what a track! I got the new album yesterday, and to be honest, at first I was dissapointed, I was hoping for something heavier, but I'm sure it will grow on me, like most albums. Although, Blue Orchid and a track called Instinct Blues are great tracks.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a pity your taste in music doesn't venture outside Queen

It actually does. I'm a big admirer of these artists...

The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Guns N' Roses, Elton John, Metallica, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, U2, Depeche Mode, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Black Sabbath & Ozzy Osbourne, George Michael, Nirvana, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Alice In Chains, Def Leppard, The Cranberries, Alanis Morissette, The Eagles, Simply Red, R.E.M., Velvet Revolver, No Doubt, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Green Day, R.Kelly, Foreigner, Roxette, Genesis, The Cars, Pet Shop Boys, Colective Soul, The Clash, and even ABBA.

And I'm quite keen of the newcomers like... Franz Ferdinand, Keane, Evanescence, The Killers, and Jet.

I'm just tired of these "promising acts" being nothing but a bunch of overhyped acts, and being praised the same music critics who think that Queen was a second class band.

willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

It's a pity your taste in music doesn't venture outside Queen

I'm just tired of these "promising acts" being nothing but a bunch of overhyped acts, and being praised the same music critics who think that Queen was a second class band.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please tell me, how are they over-hyped?
It's not music critics who voted three of these bands albums in the top 100 albums ever. It isn't music critics who sell out Wembley stadium, who buy millions upon millions of CD's.

It's fans of these bands, who think they are very fucking talented individuals.

Just because they don't fit into your styles, doesn't mean they are shite. I detest the Foo Fighters and think its basically just a pile of noise, but you don't see me jumping on other threads (one which in the opening lines said not to) and dissing bands which people are trying to discuss, and at the same time, maybe broaden their taste in music.