Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Innuendo & The Miracle Songwriting Question

forum rss feed
Author

bohemianrhap84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey I know that on Innuendo and The Miracle, the songs are credited as written by Queen. I'm sure that not all four of them wrote every word of every song on the two albums. Anybody know if there was one or two in particular that penned the songs? Just wondering.

How can I go on from day to day? Who can make me strong in every way?
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The songs were all written as normal (eg generally one member per song, occasionally collaborations) just credited to Queen.
So the actual writers of the songs is little bit of a mystery, though many of them have been revealed in interviews or "decided" by fans.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 05, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This has been covered numorous times... if there is anything you want to know in particular...just ask..

some common ones from those 2 albums:

The Miracle- is Freddie's
Breakthru- Beginning is Freddie's ...rest is Roger
These are the days of our lives- Roger's
The Hitman - Is Freddie's
Innuendo- Is 90% Freddie with assistance from Roger on lyrics.
Headlong- Brian's
I'm going slightly mad- Freddie's
The Show must go on- Brian's
Don't try so hard- Freddie's
Ride the wild wind- Roger's
I can't live with you- Brian's

etc..etc... just ask if these don't fit your needs.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe there was a big topic on this before.. anyway, I believe the following is Sebastian's...

Party - F
Kashoggi`s - Unconfirmed
Miracle - F
I Want It All - B
Invisible - R
Breakthru - F (intro) & R (song)
Rain Must Fall - J (music) & F (melody & lyrics)
Scandal - B&F (music), B (lyrics)
My Baby Does Me - J&F (music), F (lyrics)
Was It All Worth It - F
Hang On In There - F
Stealin` - F
Chinese Torture - B
Hijack - R
Innuendo - F (music), F&R (lyrics)
Headlong - B
I Can`T Live With You - B
Slightly Mad - F
Delilah - F
Hitman - F
Bijou – F +B
Don`t Try So Hard - F (lyrics), F&B (music)
Ride The Wild Wind - R
Days Of Our Lives - R
All God`s People - F & Mike Moran
Show Must Go On - B
You Don`t Fool Me - J&R (music), F (lyrics)
Mother Love - B (music), F (lyrics)
Winter`s Tale – F
Beautiful Day - Freddie
Let Me Live - Freddie or Queen not sure
My Life Has Been Saved – John
Princes Of The Universe Fred
Stone Cold Crazy - Freddie ? (considering it was a Wreckage track)
Hangman - Fred (lyrics) & Brian (chords)
Soul Brother - Fred
Under Pressure - Fred (music), Fred & David (lyrics & melody)
One Vision - Roger (lyrics) & Brian (music)

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Poor Sebastian... He answered on this question any given day (as well as on "Who wrote Innuendo?")!

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would you say that if Freddie wrote the beginning of Breakthru (originally "A New Life Is Born") he would have played piano on it?

Becuase, if you listen very carefully to the demo through a good set of headphones (I use my iPod as it gives out very good sound) - you can clearly here Brian's guide vocal... would this suggest he played the piano on it and possibly wrote A New Life Is Born? Or am I looking into too much and should just assume he simply played the piano on the demo?

It's been bugging me for a while, and I've been waiting for the right topic to bring it up in, and this is as good as any.

QueenNewcastle user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenNewcastle
Bohemian: 255 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i always thought These are the days of our lives was freddie's song

"It's Real Honor To Be Here Tonight"

Brian May

Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Tuesday 4th November 2008

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie complained if the songs weren't something he'd think of?

I very much doubt that. That's a touch egotistical and very "look at me, I'm ill, give me sympathy" - which is something he never asked for, cared for, or wanted.

That was never, and has never been the Queen way, and why should it change?

icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always thought that Brian wrote "The Hitman", since he's the one who sings on the demo...

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What demo is this??

No, everyone...Brian included... have stated that "the Hitman" including the guitar riff, are 100% Freddie's.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Danne user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

deeperanddeeperinside wrote:

<b><font color=black> Ivanonymous </b> wrote:

I've always thought that Brian wrote "The Hitman", since he's the one who sings on the demo...

Brian says it's a Freddie song. Brian was singing the lyrics to make the guitar chords go good with the song.

On the other hand Brian has stated in other interviews that he was "heavily involved" in writing The Hitman.

Danne user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These Are The Days Of Our Lives, was it really about Roger? Roger did write it, but was it about him?

Yes, I think it is. That's not to say that Freddie couldn't relate to it. And of course Freddie could sing songs that were written from the viewpoint of Brian, Roger and John. Too Much Love Will Kill You, for instance, is clearly about Brian's relationship(s) with Chrissy and Anita.

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't agree with that at all.

The three songs you mentioned are from a period where Freddie's health was bad, and was on their minds - song writers tend to write about things on their minds, be it personal, something with the world etc. During TATDOOL and TSMGO etc, Freddie was on their minds, thus they are more than likely to be writing about those sort of things.

See What A Fool I've Been, Brighton Rock, Tie Your Mother Down, White Man, It's Late, Las Palabras de Amor, Flash, Who Wants To Live Forever, Gimme The Prize... a bunch of Brian songs that Freddie sang, and none of them were about Freddie (soundtrack regardless).

Sheer Heart Attack, Fun It (partially), Action This Day, One Vision... a few of Rog songs Freddie sang that have nothing to do with him.

You and I, Who Needs You, In Only Seven Days, Back Chat... and a few John songs that Freddie sang that have sod all to do with him.

Off the top of my head these are all I could think of right now. If I wasn't at work I'd consult the whole catalogue.

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for Freddie exclusively writing the lyrics to Mother Love,
Brian wrote on his soapbox that he would scribble lyrics on little pieces of paper and hand them off to Freddie to sing.
This is not to say that Freddie wrote nothing, but Brian did help.

Also, I thought Roger wrote Party and Freddie wrote Khashoggi - I don't remember where I read this, though.

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
Vad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW Too Much Love Will Kill You was credited to Brian and some guys named Musker and Lamers, whom I've never heard mentioned before or after.
Does somebody know who are these?

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope, never read it.
It could have been quoted somewhere, I suppose.

Also, I think SASS, YMBF, and IWtBF were rather personal and Freddie sang (some of) those.

You can't be the lead singer of a successfull band with 3 other song writers and be picky with what the songs are about.
Besides, how often have they said they never discussed what the songs meant.

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GreatKingSam wrote:

See What A Fool I've Been, Brighton Rock, Tie Your Mother Down, White Man, It's Late, Las Palabras de Amor, Flash, Who Wants To Live Forever, Gimme The Prize... a bunch of Brian songs that Freddie sang, and none of them were about Freddie (soundtrack regardless).

As said, they only write songs Freddie can relate to. If it's personal, Freddie might not sing it. Let's say Brian was to write a song about his hair, Freddie wouldn't sing it.

What...? None of these were regarding Freddie or written for him to relate to, yet he sang them all.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Would you say that if Freddie wrote the beginning of Breakthru (originally "A New Life Is Born") he would have played piano on it?

Becuase, if you listen very carefully to the demo through a good set of headphones (I use my iPod as it gives out very good sound) - you can clearly here Brian's guide vocal... would this suggest he played the piano on it and possibly wrote A New Life Is Born? Or am I looking into too much and should just assume he simply played the piano on the demo?

It's been bugging me for a while, and I've been waiting for the right topic to bring it up in, and this is as good as any".

- GKS: There's absolutely no way that Brian wrote nor played piano on ANLIB. The song is clearly a Fred composition/improvisation with, excepting the carefully constructed intro, Fred basically fiddling around on the piano whilst searching out vocal ideas on top. It's been confirmed numerous times that ANLIB is a Fred composition (not that anyone would need this to be confirmed to them I'd hope, as so obviously classic Fred).

The guide vocal from Brian you refer to is presumably some kind of vocal bleed from another track. This effect happens at other points in the demo, and although you could say it sounds like Brian, I really don't think it is.

Up the Spurs.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not that I doubt you for one seconds Bohardy, quite the contrary, but, out of interest for what it's worth, between 15 seconds and 18 seconds (on my version at least), is the voice I'm talking about - which sounds very much like a guide vocal by Brian. Whether it is just simply that, fair enough.

(You know Robinson has signed a new contract too).

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 05, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vad wrote:

BTW Too Much Love Will Kill You was credited to Brian and some guys named Musker and Lamers, whom I've never heard mentioned before or after.
Does somebody know who are these?

He's a songwriter, she's a session singer