Forums > Queen - General Discussion > brian may - autographs

forum rss feed
Author

dimcyril user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was interested to read on brianmay.com that he considers people who ask him for autographs and photos as 'selfish' and a waste of his time.
i was surprised by this attitude.
if someone has paid £55 to watch your gig plus merchandise expenses. plus the thousands of pounds that many people spend over the years on vinyl, then re buying everything on cd plus videos dvds posters etc. putting money in the pocket of brian may, this attitude is appalling.
if he doesn't want this kind of behaviour, maybe he shouldn't go on tour and expose himself to these situations.

i would imagine all most real fans want is a signature and maybe 30 seconds recognition from their hero.

after all it is only really the very hard core fans who will wait for them at the hotel [i'd rather go for a pint]. i think that his suggestion that all these signatures end up being sold on the internet is absolute rubbish.

is this a further sign of brian being miserable in his old age?

he also whines that he is inundated with band demos.

doesn't he remember what it was like to be a struggling musician?

does anyone have any thoughts?

does anyone have a defence of brian's opinions?

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good point!

Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree...there are obviously some people who put the signatures up on E-bay, but of course the die-hard fans who wait for him after the gigs to get pics with him and his autograph are going to cherish it and not sell it...I too was put off by his comments...

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dimcyril wrote:

i was interested to read on brianmay.com that he considers people who ask him for autographs and photos as 'selfish' and a waste of his time.
if someone has paid £55 to watch your gig plus merchandise expenses. plus the thousands of pounds that many people spend over the years on vinyl, then re buying everything on cd plus videos dvds posters etc. putting money in the pocket of brian may, this attitude is appalling.
if he doesn't want this kind of behaviour, maybe he shouldn't go on tour and expose himself to these situations.

i would imagine all most real fans want is a signature and maybe 30 seconds recognition from their hero.

after all it is only really the very hard core fans who will wait for them at the hotel [i'd rather go for a pint]. i think that his suggestion that all these signatures end up being sold on the internet is absolute rubbish.

If I were you I'd be tempted to e-mail your opinion to him!

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes i think i might
i was telling my mates down the pub, and they thought even if he privately thought that, it was very tactless to say it in public and post it on his website.

after all who reads his website? the people who stand and hope to get a glimpse of him and hopefully an autograph ar a picture

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I remember his very nasty remark about the Internet Queen forums....

freesia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I would agree with your points, I would just like to say in Brians defence, he says it is
the people who bring stacks of records for signing, or those that want him to pose for endless photos on a mobile with dodgy batteries.

Now I can see his point, there are indeed the selfish sorts out there, who would think nothing of doing this having already got the attention of the intended target!

These are the signatures I think he is saying will likely get sold on Ebay etc, and Im with him on this, why should someone as busy as him, devote
so much time to someone like that, when he also states that there are the nice people who just want to meet him, get an autograph and have a sensible conversation, for which he certainly does make time.

Is it happening?
bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=552175

Glad I met him when he was younger!!! :-))

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

vtx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

did i not say he is turning into a grumpy old man.
he needs reminding he's in the rock!!!! business

x

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because it is part of his job to meet fans and sign autographs.
that is part of what being a famous rock star is all about.

even renowned grump bob dylan was pleasant to fans and stopped to sign autographs before a gig i attended.
i agree though that people shouldn't bring piles of LPs, cds etc to sign

surely one is enough.

i still think he should sometimes keep his opinions to himself.

or even a little white lie wouldn't go amiss if he's asked a direct question.

he wants us to attend the gigs, buy the records etc.
he should show a little more respect to those who do.

this isn't reallly relevant but shows the other side of the rock and roll dream.
i played a gig in swansea with my band [dim cyril] and someone asked me afterwards if they could buy our cd. i said 'of course you can'
the boy asked 'can you sign it for me' i said yes of course and proceeded to autograph his cd inlay. whilst i was signing it he said 'no i didn't mean you i want the singer to sign it'

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no one ever wants the Bass players Autograph... ;p

I really think Brian should take a step back and remember WHO made him famous.. was it his manager? His Wives.. The Band? No.. it was US.. so if it takes a few seconds of his life away to scribble something on a piece of paper, then so be it...Just because he is well known it seems he has adopted the ever so familier "I am better than YOU" attitude.. well, this was all I had to see, Queen has just crossed the line and I for one am not going to spend anymore of my money on them, I would rather go see Styx than him now.. and of course I won't be going to see them either.

so, what is left for me here? not a blessed thing, Oh well... take it for what it's worth, it WAS a good ride while it lasted... Take care folks... :)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol!!!!
i was behind the stage at wembley 86 and when you see what goes on, you realise it is a business first and foremost. i wish i hadn't been there as it changed my perception of the band.

x

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes i know, no one really cares much about the bass players [and drummers].
but where would the fancy Dans out front be without the pounding rhythm section behind them [ and slightly out of time with them]

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Preston wrote:

no one ever wants the Bass players Autograph... ;p

I really think Brian should take a step back and remember WHO made him famous.. was it his manager? His Wives.. The Band? No.. it was US.. so if it takes a few seconds of his life away to scribble something on a piece of paper, then so be it...Just because he is well known it seems he has adopted the ever so familier "I am better than YOU" attitude.. well, this was all I had to see, Queen has just crossed the line and I for one am not going to spend anymore of my money on them, I would rather go see Styx than him now.. and of course I won't be going to see them either.

so, what is left for me here? not a blessed thing, Oh well... take it for what it's worth, it WAS a good ride while it lasted... Take care folks... :)

1) The Only thing I agree with Brian on, is if people ask for autographs..ONLY to sell them for profit and NOT for their owun keepsake, then THAT is wrong.

2) Otherwise, I think Brian really is full of himself for TRUE fans who only want a keepsake.

Let me tell you...I have seen tons of all kinds of music and entertainment artists..and while I am not a big fan of country music...do you all know WHY country music fans are so loyal?

Here's why. Because Country music BANDS and ARTISTS are so loyal to their fans. I have ZILLIONS of country music stars autographs.

And...Most of my friends who love country...every year..go to an International Festival held annually in Nashville, USA called Country FANFAIR, where the whole POINT of the event is for country music artists to show their loyalty FOR.... AND TO THANK THEIR FANS...

For like $2000, you get an entire week of hotel, airfare, meals, and about a DOZEN inclusive concerts with INTERNATIONAL country stars..who ...

.....AFTER every single concert...Have a scheduled AUTOGRAPH signing session under giant tents for all of their fans. NO artist leaves any tent...until EVERY fan gets an autograph. One of my girlfriends goes every year and she & her husband book WAY in advance. She has autographs from Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Johhny Cash, Dolly Parton, Tim McGraw, Alabama, etc. etc.

I have seen interviews with Willie Nelson where he always says the same thing...he sticks around after every concert, that he does anywhere, and signs every single persons' autograph..because he KNOWS how much it means to him...

....and he is GRATEFUL that fans after 4 decades...fans still PAY to see him and that he can stil make a living doing what he loves..

..BECAUSE of his fans. If it weren't for his fans..he would be doing some crap 9-5 job for crap wages.

He also said he realizes that an autograph..to fans, is very sentimental, has memories, etc.

BTW...Rosie O'Donnell LOST her fans and got ALOT of BAD press..for very vocally saying the same stuff as Brian...She says she HATES doing and giving autographs. Yeah...and now her fans deserted her. Her TV show was cancelled, Her career is going nowhere....

Lucille Ball, the comedian once said...even if it seems annoying sometimes...as a fan may ask for an autograph when a star is eating, or resting..she said..yeah..

..but because they pay to see me, Because they ask for autographs and are fans...that's WHY I CAN afford to eat and rest. It goes with the territory and was fine with her.

She said, the time to WORRY, is when fans STOP asking for autographs...meaning your career is going nowhere...the fans have deserted you, stoppped paying to see you...and it's a minor inconvenience...and PART of what is to be expected, if you live life in the spotlight.

I hears BIG superstar Tom Cruise is so adored partly because whenever he is at some gala or awards..he blows off his own security guards, to go INTO the crowds and give BOTH photos and autographs.

Same at science fiction/fantasy/ Star Trek/Star Wars/comic type conventions where the actors and authors LOVE givin

xyz

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MyHammerIsFalling wrote:

dimcyril wrote:

If I were you I'd be tempted to e-mail your opinion to him!

hiya i have just e mailed mr may with my complaints.
i doubt he'll respond though

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

micktronix wrote:

lol!!!!
i was behind the stage at wembley 86 and when you see what goes on, you realise it is a business first and foremost. i wish i hadn't been there as it changed my perception of the band.

How did your view change? What did you witness/experience while backstage...? How did you even get backstage you lucky duck!!!

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Arlene R. Weiss

Totaly agree with every point you stated...

Many artists still know where they came from, they still know their roots and never forget how blessed they are doing what they do and earning "big bucks" with it...

Brian used to be the most gentle, polite and probably open-minded guy of them (Queen) all ... but that was then!
Let´s face it... Brian is getting old... but is he getting wiser?
Was my Grandpa a wise man when he was getting older and finally died at the age of 81? ;-)

Anyway, I still like Brian very much though.. he doesn´t owe me anything!

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dimcyril wrote:

yes i know, no one really cares much about the bass players [and drummers].
but where would the fancy Dans out front be without the pounding rhythm section behind them [ and slightly out of time with them]

Cheer up, as a guitarist I fully appreciate the bass players and drummers. Without a good rhythm section you are left with a couple of wankers making a racket.

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree too, i know loadsa people here have probly succeeded in getting Brian's, Roger's and John's autographs but I have tried constantly - particularly Brian but have never managed it. S'pose you've gotta have the knack, but of course it doesn't help when he doesn't even want to sign anything :(

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar

Posted: 06 Jun 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MyHammerIsFalling wrote: [
How did your view change? What did you witness/experience while backstage...? How did you even get backstage you lucky duck!!!

it's a long story.
the reason for my change of view was that how many ego's were present from the crew to the band
with the exception of john deacon who was very pleasant and had plenty of time for people.i have lots of stories to tell of things that went on but not on this post....

x