Forums > Personal > OCTAVARIUM- what a great album!

forum rss feed
Author

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's out, got it and it kicks some serious ass. It's soooo different than the last one (ToT), definitely more delicate and beautiful (The Answer Lies Within is just... oh what a song!!!), yet still bloody complex and... Is this the best band on earth right now or what??? :) The last thing- 24minute epic is just great. They have never went so prog before... And the "Never Enough" could be on Muse album. AWESOME!!!!

willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really look forward to it.
I'm going to buy it this afternoon, and will give it a few spins in my car, before arriving at my holiday destination!

I really do love DT. I listen way more to this band than to Queen to be honest.

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

willem-jan wrote:

I listen way more to this band than to Queen to be honest.

Here, here :)

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Got it last night - fantastic. I will probably have to listen to it a few more times and then decide that it's the best album they have ever done.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Stephan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a Queen-part on the title track of the album. Listen to "Octavarium" (the song) from 06:33 to 06:40. It's like the beginning of "Bohemian Rhapsody". BTW, "Octavarium" is vocally a masterpiece. There are some really exciting JLB parts:

-the end of "Octavarium": "where we begaaaaaaan"
-"As far as I could tell..."

The Answer Lies Within is such a beautiful song! I was speachless when I listened to it for the first time. It's like the sun rising when LaBrie sings "shine"!

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a bit sad that a lot of the Queen fans seem to be a bit ignorant. Dream Theater is a great band. Give them a listen!

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LaBrie sang someamazing stuff on this record. I think OCTAVARIUM (track) is absloutely perfect, better than Change of Seasons (heresy? I guess...) but there's so many great ones on this album- I love "Never Enough". And some stuff on "Sacrificed Sons" is just mindblowing. But yeah, "The Answer Lies Within" is just beautiful...

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF399> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

are they a metal band? :P

kinda but... this last one sounds more like Muse than Metallica, so I don't know...

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Try Dream Theater than. :)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dream Theater sounds very instrumental. They combine 70s progressive rock with a taste of 80s heavy metal. Those who love listening to albums with 8 or 10 minute long epic songs will sure enjoy it.

If you like bands like Genesis, Yes, Metallica, and the guitar virtuoso Yngwie Malsteem, you might probably like Dream Theater.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Octavarium... WOW!

This is the first Dream Theater album that didn't require 4-5 listens to fall in love with it.

I need to listen to it a few more times before I can give a decent review. All I can say right now is that I'm just completely amazed with DT yet again. They manage to have a completely different sound on each album. What an incredible band they are. Surely they're the best band today.

Tonnes of Yes influence in the title track, btw, both guitar and keyboards!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Try Octavarium, Images & Words or Scenes From A Memory. Train Of Thought might be a bit too heavy for the beginning.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've only heard the first track on it, But I have to say, I was QUITE impressed. I will be owning this one soon! And hopefully before "Gigantor".

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a lot more to discover on Octavarium. And you will find out that James LaBrie is the best singer of the post-Freddie-era.

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW- 2 nights in London (Hammersmith), second part of the second one covering classic album in its entirety. I WANNA TICKETS. (not on sale yet). What album will they do? ANATO could be a nice surprise... ;) Nah, they're not gonna do it. Floyd? Metallica? Zeppelin? CAN'T WAIT!!!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should cover Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffitti. Although taking the length of the album, I doubt they will. Metallica's 'Ride The Lighting' would be an awesome choice as well.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've given it three listens.....I thought 'Answer' a bit too soft and long, considering that it's the second track.

The rest doesn't quite 'reach' me as disk 2 of 'Six Degrees' did, but it ain't weak. Love 'Panic Attack'. Can't wait for the title track 45 version to be released;-)

B+ to A-

Nothing 'Queenish' jumped out at me like a few moments during 'Metropolis 2'

Looking forward to seeing them in Virginia real soon. Glad to have seen them three years ago, and that others on this NG made me give them a serious listen.

j+III

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

WOW- 2 nights in London (Hammersmith), second part of the second one covering classic album in its entirety. I WANNA TICKETS. (not on sale yet). What album will they do? ANATO could be a nice surprise... ;) Nah, they're not gonna do it. Floyd? Metallica? Zeppelin? CAN'T WAIT!!!

Man, you're lucky! Do enough enjoying for the both of us!! Wouldn't ANATO be amazing.......?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have my ticket ordered for October 25th - can't wait.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose that they are going to cover "A Night At The Opera", because they've already played "Death On Two Legs" on the last tour.