Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Who Scott Mercury think the real fans are!!

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jun 05, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's the deal.

Us mature fans, who were Queen fans long before there was a "Innuendo"...long before there was a "re-release" of Bohemian Rhapsody....long before there was a over-rated, unfunny movie called "Waynes World" ..... and who were fans long before the touring stopped, and Freddie's fight with his illness began... we are the real fans.

I notice that the group of older, more mature fans on this website also seemed to be more accepting of Paul Rodgers doing his best on this tour.

So, if Brenski, and Thomas Quinn, and Arlene...and a whole slew of others on here, that was blasting their ear drums with Freddie & Co. long before most of the "complainers" were born.... then why can't the bitchers and moaners take a hint???

Paul Rodgers isn't Freddie... yeah we know.
Paul's voice doesn't wrap around some of Queen's tunes like Freddie...yep, we are aware of that.
Paul doesn't have Freddie's range...or stage presence..... but then again, who does???

However, Paul Rodgers is one hell of a singer... and for most singers, they would shit their pants at the thought of filling in for Freddie on a Queen jam session.... Paul had the balls to lay it on the line, and give it a shot.

And Paul hasn't been this popular since 1976.

The fact is, we all LOVE FREDDIE.
No one is going to replace Freddie... duh, no shit.

I've had enough of the idiots, aged 12 to 18 on this website, who are trying to come out to mom and dad, and Freddie is their idol... (as of 3 months ago, so they are Freddie experts) .....

Or, 14 yr old girls, who have read 2 Queen articles, so now they are a fucking music historian.

I'm laying it on the line.... if you own 4 Queen cds... but haven't "saved up yet for the others".... should you really be posting here??

If you have been a Queen fan since 2003.... what the HELL could you possibly "teach" some of these people that we AT WEMBLEY...or AT MILTON KEYES???

The smartest ass mouths, and most reliable info on here seem to come from the teenagers, who just saw Waynes World on TBS, and are now a Queen genius... or , they've just kissed a member of the same sex...liked it...and are now trying to out themselves to the folks.

Meanwhile, they are Freddie experts...Queen experts.... and can conclusively tell you that Paul Rodgers sucks (Bryans Permed Poodle calls P.R. a "karoke singer").... and that Brian and Roger are money hungry moochers, who are trying to gain cash off of Freddie's legacy.

I, personally, have no interest in the "2 month" , newbie, 13 yr old fans at this point...who haven't a clue as to what they are talking about.

The "real fans" were there at the beginning, we'll be there at the end... I don't give a fuck if Lizi Minelli is the lead singer... I support Queen. period.

S.M.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
corki44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey all queen fans are allowed to post on this website! Young or old...i happen to be in the older category but still i have some tolerance! They're coming on this website to learn and we are there to teach them. Let us older crowd teach them about this great band!

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't have a problem with a new fan asking legit questions. I have a problem with the fact that I read stuff like "Well, I like A Kind of Magic better than Queen 2, cause, well, Queen 2 sucks.... but I don't have Queen 2, but I'll bet it sucks". "I have 3 Queen albums, and Roger is cute... and Brian is too skinny...is John gay too?? ... I'll bet he is, he looks gay... did you guys know Freddie was gay??"

I am losing brain cells reading this kind of shit.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Brenski, and Thomas Quinn, and Arlene"

Thomas Quinn? Isn't our dear FLAC-lover younger than 20???

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

I'm laying it on the line.... if you own 4 Queen cds... but haven't "saved up yet for the others".... should you really be posting here??

Sure, why not?

Yes, there are a lot of younger fans who think they know it all, even though they own only 4 albums (3 of which are Greatest Hits compilations), but why should it bother me? I see it as more of a problem of being a teenager than being a new fan.

Everyone starts some place. It's more important to guide them than to ostracize them.

DJ's the man we love the most
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the majority ofthe rant but .....

Liza Minelli lead singer, I would rather have baby spice :)

Keep Good Company
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honestly, I don't think it should be up to one person to decide who's a true fan. And it's not fair to group all of us teenagers together based on the '14 yr old girls, who have read 2 Queen articles, so now they are a fucking music historian'. I'm fifteen and I may not have been a fan when Innuendo was released or had the chance to see the band live, but I don't think that makes me any less of a fan. I've got every album and DVD, I've read as many biographies and interviews as I can get my hands on and I plan to buy tickets to the tour the second they announce they're coming to the US. Even with that, I know that I've got a long way to go before I can be considered an expert and I know there's always more to learn. But I don't think our ages or ollections or knowledge about the band should put us up for criticism. We all love Queen and these boards should be about that - not about having to prove ourselves as fans or passing judgments about everyone else.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

KevMull user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 672 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of the younger 'tweenie' fans should start to petre off and fade away soon because..........

A LOT were 'brainwashed' by their parents as soon as they were old enough to listen to music but as they reach their early teens, puberty kicks in, other interets, peer pressure and other music will take hold.

So now there will be no one to carry on the legacy unless we (the oldies) try and brainwash our grandchildren.

So I guess you could really call it STEPFORDS, in the true sense of the word!

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see your point Scott, and agree for the most part.

But at the end of the day, new people can ask questions, but its their ignorance to not bother to look around that is a problem. Such simple questions can be found so easily answered with a bit of common sense to LOOK. But, to me, the main problem has to be people like BPP who are just idiots. At the end of the day though, more than likely they just want a reaction out of us to get their little high for the day, and we mature people who know we shouldn't answer back and just ignore it, unfortunately feel the need to answer back out of sheer frustration. And rude people who have the audacity to show know patience and criticise others for their own faults.

But, I think it is unfair to perhaps put a kind of boundary towards who and who isnt a real Queen fan. I'm only 19, which isn't exactly young, but I only got into Queen properly around seven to eight years ago, but I own all albums Queen and solo, 80% on vinyl, a lot of the singles, DVDs, live performances, have been to see We Will Rock You, Party In The Park, with Paul Rodgers at Brixton and Wembley etc etc etc etc....but does all that make me a real fan? Others who may be young but can't afford all this are maybe real fans also, but because of a simple and innocent question, we scare them away from Queen with snappy replies from anger built up from others and label them rubbish fans. Maybe some people should take time to distinguish who is and isn't a pointless QueenZoner before we take the piss and tell them where to stick their stupid questions.

James999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

get a life - u have too much time on ur hand. there's more important things in life. get real

J. Jones

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Get a life": how constructive.

7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

excellent post GreatKingSam! Wisely you have chosen a great rock band. With the Force this band is. The future of this band do young padawan learners like yourself depend on. In time, you will learn to master difficult questions, such as who was Queen's original bassist, and why does the real bassist contemplate the Force these days and rarely act on it. Sith Lords like BPP can only turn you to the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys. Beware the dark side--and crank Queen as loud as it goes!

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry Mitchell, what's your point?

Well, that question has given me away - I truely AM a real Queen fan.

Good work there, Jedi (apparently...?!).

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RohemianBapsody wrote:

Liza Minelli lead singer, I would rather have baby spice :)

And I'd rather piss thumb tacs.

So, I'm not a 'real' fan because I am only 22? Because I wasn't AT WEMBLEY in 86'? Because I thought Wayne's World was a funny movie?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

Here's the deal.

Us mature fans, who were Queen fans long before there was a "Innuendo"...long before there was a "re-release" of Bohemian Rhapsody....long before there was a over-rated, unfunny movie called "Waynes World" ..... and who were fans long before the touring stopped, and Freddie's fight with his illness began... we are the real fans.

So you aren't 26, like your profile says?

Scott dear, your comments are ridiculous. It's wonderful for teenagers to listen to Queen. I became a fan in 1991 when I was...hello...14, so am I not a "real" fan? Absurd..
Owning all of the albums, having a big collection, and going to concerts doesn't make you a "real" fan. The way I see it..anyone who loves the music is a fan, whether you discovered Queen in '75 or '05.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know that I'd agree on who the real fans are, that's pretty God like to determine who makes the cut. However, I agree with Scott's sentiments about the frustrations of dealing with unknowledgeable posters. And yes, a lot of the young posters aren't schooled enough to form a sensible debating position because they don't know the catalogue. If you grew up with Queen, you knew their ascent as an amazing hard rock band, lived it, and saw how vital they were WHEN IT WAS HAPPENING.

If you got into Queen around the Magic tour, you got into a pop-rock band who still had great songs, and were great live, but were sick of each other personally and musically. So, in my world, the latter day fans missed what Queen was all about. I hate Jimi Hendrix, but it must have been mind blowing as a young person in the 60s to see a guy changing the world with his guitar. Bohemian Rhapsody blew people away when it was on the radio in the 70s. I don't know how new fans, without having an historical context to base it upon, can comment on old stuff the way that Scott, John Stuart or myself can. We've lived it, you haven't. That's why I don't post often, so many ridiculous posts about "Khashoggi's ship is awesome!!!" from newer posters, who don't know that Queen's 80s stuff is but a patch on their earlier stuff. It's like comparing Pele and David Beckham. One's a genius, one's a good soccer player.

You know, good times are now.
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, as one of the "slew of many others", I gotta say I disagree. I'm 44 and have been a Queen fan since day one. I was just thrilled to come here some 3 years ago to find so many young Queen fans. I can't tell you how happy it makes me. I find it refreshing to go down memory lane when someone has a question about Queen long ago. Gosh, Roger and Brian have said themselves how cool it is to see teenagers at these latest shows. It speaks very well for the band. One point I do agree with is that it appears that we are more accepting of B&R doing new things, whatever they may be, because we love to seem them still rocking away. As for Paul Rodgers, I was so shocked and happy when I found out he was singing with the guys because I loved Bad Co. and Free. When we stacked records they were right on there with Queen so it was very exciting. Having this great band in my past, present and future is a wonderful gift and I'm glad that EVERYONE can share it. *steps down from soapbox*

Robin

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The bottom line kids... if you are going to run with the big dogs, either know your shit, or sit back, and read awhile.

There is such a wealth of information on this website, if you just take the time to research.

I, myself, before I enter any discussion, I at first sit back, and listen to what others have said first.

I be understood by others...you must first understand others.

Some of us here have moved past... "Did you know Freddie was gay?? Was Bohemian Rhapsody about dying of Aids??" type questions.

LINDA OF THE VALLEY....People have been complaining about you on these boards for as long as I have been here, so your reputation/age speak for itself.

Then, as most 13 yr olds do... you threw a tatrum a while back...and announced "you were leaving".... now, I see we are graced with your vast 13 yrs of worldly experience again...lucky us.

I have no problem with newbies liking Queen.
I try to get new people, young and old into Queen all the time...
What I am saying is... if you know very little about the band, and their history.... and lets say you own 4 Queen albums (3 of which are greatest hits)....

Then:
A) In my opinion, there are very few topics here where your input is needed.... sit back, relax, and read awhile.
B) What the F are going to tell someone who stood out in the rain for 8 hours in 1977 about Queen??

Have some respect for those who loved this band before your daddy was getting to 3rd base with your mommy on their way to conceive you.

joshiejosh user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I did not get into Queen by watching Wayne's World but I did get into it by listening to 'Classic Queen' and 'Greatest Hits' the maroon colored one by the way. I'm only 18 years old so technically I was born in the magic years but i do not remember Queen being alive for I was only 5 when Freddie died. I do remember seeing the news story on television about it however. I do not have the albums, is it a money issue? No, I cannot find "The Works" or "Hot Space" anywhere to be honest. My dad did get me into Queen by having the forementioned albums and "The Game", "A Night at the Opera" and "Jazz" since than I have added all the other albums except those pesky two. As for Paul Rodgers and the whole tour, I do not hate it and i do not like it because I have not seen it because I live in Rock Hill, South Carolina and the chances of them coming anywhere near here are very slim. Now whether all of my criteria makes me a "hardcore" fan or not does not bother me because I like the music. And as for new fans, it's very inconsiderate to rag on them because they're new. They may not be Queen genius's but we all share one thing in common, we like the music. That's all that matters.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

The bottom line kids... if you are going to run with the big dogs, either know your shit, or sit back, and read awhile.

That's kinda arrogant, isn't it? You don't own the noticeboard. This is precisely why there is a "general" section and a "serious" one. So what criteria should be set for someone to post on the board? Do they need to be at least 40, have seen Queen (with Freddie, of course) 5 or more times, own a blue BoRhap..(purchased in '75, of course)? Please specify the rules because I may not be eligible to be on here..:-I