Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > hangman new question

forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

is hangman the only queen-written track to be performed live but never released commercially as a studio version?


go deo na hÉireann
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Impromptu" from Live At Wembley '86 (it's not studio album so...) and some other band improvisations (most of them are based on the same theme though).

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF399> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

who cares?
:P


oooh get you !!! - someone given you too many blue m&ms today girl? ;-)

i was asking because queen's live gigs usually comprised "standards" in the setlist
ie:-
current album tracks
crowd faves
cover versions
greatest hits

hangman didn't fit as it didn't come from any release and i couldn't think of any others (that were genuine queen songs (and not ad-libs)


go deo na hÉireann
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no I think that's the only one Brenski....

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We Will Rock You (fast) was never recorded as a studio version.

Mercuryworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kirkpatrickuk wrote:

We Will Rock You (fast) was never recorded as a studio version.


No that is on a BBC session


<blank>
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 05, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe WWRY fast was also recorded for News of the World.

Anyway, Hangman is the only Queen song played live that was not released


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thought so. cheers


go deo na hÉireann
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken: I believe WWRY fast was also recorded for News of the World.

No - that is not correct. Only the fast BBC version exists. No studio fast version was recorded.



"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The BBC version IS a studio version.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Negative Creep wrote:

The BBC version IS a studio version.


No, it counts as 'live', as it wasn't recorded in a multi-track studio fashion.


But for all intents and purposes, it is a bbc sessions studio version. Therefore, Hangman is the only song to be played live but never released.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Negative Creep wrote:

The BBC version IS a studio version.


No, it counts as 'live', as it wasn't recorded in a multi-track studio fashion.


Caspar, there's plenty of multi-tracking on the guitars - i can hear THREE different leads (at the same time)on the intro alone


go deo na hÉireann
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn't a live, straight to 2 track live broadcast. They recorded the tracks at Maida Vale to an 8 track machine prior to them being broadcast... allowing them to record the backing tracks as many times as it took them to nail it & then overdub the chosen take of each track to completion. Theyre not overly overdubbed, but theyre not live.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep: The BBC version IS a studio version.

we all know that - and my previous answer clearly states:
FriedChicken: I believe WWRY fast was also recorded for News of the World - No - that is not correct. Only the fast BBC version exists. No studio fast version was recorded.

that clearly means no news of the world or emi fast version exists.

but - strnage as it sounds - the bbc version counts as a live version - because the band recorded live over backing tapes. the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version. (you can even hear the same "ah" 3 -5 seconds into the intro)

by contrast, contrary to popular belief, ther is no emi session of the fast we will rock you. OTHER than the bbc - there is no studio fast version.

but i think you knew that all along too.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You didn't say there wasn't a version recorded during the NOTW sessions, you said there was no studio version. THERE IS. They did NOT record over backing tracks for this BBC session. Apart from the slow WWRY, they started from scratch in Maida Vale.

whynot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See what a fool I've been is another track that wasn't recorded but played live.


Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"but - strnage as it sounds - the bbc version counts as a live version - because the band recorded live over backing tapes. the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version. (you can even hear the same "ah" 3 -5 seconds into the intro)

by contrast, contrary to popular belief, ther is no emi session of the fast we will rock you. OTHER than the bbc - there is no studio fast version."

Youve contradicted yourself there. First off, theyve recorded over the emi version, then you say there is no emi version. If theres no emi version, how the fuck could they record "over" it.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative creep - a couple of words of advice.

First - stop swearing - its neither big nor clever.

Second - stop being so pedantic. Queen recorded we will rock you at emi. (i forget the exact studio but it is on the sleeve notes). this was the slow version. no fast version exists in the emi/queen archive as it was not recorded. but it did exist in the bbc archive.

they then took a copy of the emi slow version tape to the bbc at maida vale and recorded the new bbc session over it (ie overdubs). that is why you can still hear the opening "ahh" in the same place. that is neither contradictory - or controversial.

they then proceeded to record a second new version - which has since become known as the fast vesrion. this was a bbc exclusive - and does not exist elsewhere.

so why are you being so argumentive over a very simple sequence of events?

there is no need to get so heat up, because as you can see, apart from the bbc - there is no studio version.

what is the problem with that?






"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> See what a fool I've been is another track that wasn't recorded but played live.

There are at least two studio versions of that one

> but - strnage as it sounds - the bbc version counts as a live version - because the band recorded live over backing tapes.

Wrong as well: as you said, there were no backing tapes of fast, therefore they definitely recorded a backing tape for that (as somebody else mentioned, there are double and triple tracked guitars); and... even if it was just the band "live" over backing tape it can't count as live version, or for that effect I can say that there's a live version of the opera section of Bo Rhap, at least in instruments: piano, bass and drums were recorded live, then Roger overdubbed his timpani playing live over the backing tape.

> the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version.

Not quite. Probably the percussion of the slow version is from Wessex sessions (that's why you can hear the "ah" loop). But at least the vocals are "new", in fact the producer and the engineer mentioned how they were asked to sing.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 05, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S: > the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version.

Seb: > Not quite. Probably the percussion of the slow version is from Wessex sessions (that's why you can hear the "ah" loop). But at least the vocals are "new", in fact the producer and the engineer mentioned how they were asked to sing.

we know for absolute fact that queen only spent one day at the bbc maida vale studio 4 on 28th oct 1977. Apart from the obviuos backing tracks they took into the studio with them - this session was recorded on that day only. hence i was CORRECT to say - the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version.

That is what i meant by saying - the bbc version was recorded in one day at maida vale over the original emi version.

but somehow i guess you knew that too.


Queen: Unreleased, BBC Radio Session, 28 October 1977
Recorded 28.10.1977. Broadcast 14.11.1977. Studio Maida Vale 4, John Peel Show, Produced by Jeff Griffin, Engineered by Mike Robinson. Officially erased by the BBC.
Spread Your Wings
It’s Late
My Melancholy Blues
We Will Rock You



"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."