Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Queen Keep yourself Alive long version from acetate

forum rss feed
Author

ferdy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before upload I'd like someone who contact me (real queen audio expert)(John S Stuart??? are you there?) to compare this version with the one from the Queen us promo cd single. I'm not sure I can.

www.Queenmuseum.com

Collecting is everything!!!
fjac1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
fjac1980
Bohemian: 283 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

REQUEST FORUM,PLEASE

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've sent you an email.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to hear this!

MY GOD spell it write.
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 05, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ditto

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fjac1980 wrote:

REQUEST FORUM,PLEASE

???

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For Information:

Ferdy kindly sent me an MP3 version of his acetate. Reproduced with permission, here is a copy of my return e-mail to him.

Dear Ferdinando,

thank you for letting me listen to your keep yourself alive acetate. after listening and comparing with other versions - i have good news and bad news!

first - the bad news.

the version you sent me is officially available on the hollywood record lable as - keep yourself alive (long lost re-take). there are three finger-prints to look out for. 1: the "play the game" type intro. 2: before the drum solo freddie sings "all you pretty people", and 3: at the end there is a monty-pythonesque line of "look on the bright side". this means that you can not really share this version.

second: the good news is that if the short version b-side, is an edit of the long version a-side, then you can share this, as this would be unreleased.

Carrots Of The Piratebean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

fjac1980 wrote:

REQUEST FORUM,PLEASE

???

My thoughts as well. Fjac, the way I read Ferdy's post was that he was asking about stuff he intended for upload before he did so. That to me is not a request for any files or whatever.

I'm saying nothing.....
fjac1980

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.
but try to upload the song, cause i want to hear it too

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and also about a hundred other ones elsewhere in this forum...

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've sent the short version to John to check if it's really unreleased.If so I will post the link here.
In the meantime is there someone among you you can help me to trace the story of this acetate. Why does it come with this label? I alway saw trident acetate from Queen. Any help appreciated!!

Attachment: kYAacetate(lomg).jpg 370 KB
This has been downloaded 465 time(s).

www.Queenmuseum.com

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the second photo.....

Attachment: kYAacetate(short).jpg 226 KB
This has been downloaded 270 time(s).

www.Queenmuseum.com

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHat is the length of the short version?

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe you don´t want to answer to this,but i would like to know:
where did you find this jewel and
how much is it worth?

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

long version is 4.05
short 3.29
but consider that I played only once to record them so it may vary of some seconds.

www.Queenmuseum.com

fjac1980

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

can you read John's post BEFORE typing please

nice. as always

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For definite, this acetate was made in the uk - and not usa. my best guess is that this acetate is pre-emi, and that is it was recorded at trident studios - but the band were not signed with emi. Remember the first LP was made in downtime - and not as official trident product.
This would date it c1972.

Interestingly, this track is refered to as a "long lost retake" on the hollywood version - also giving creedence to the above.

Long Lost Re-take 4:05 Queen: US 1991 Hollywood HR-61064-2

This ties in with ferdy's own timings:
long version is 4.05
short 3.29

The short version sounds like a "butchered" edit, in that the 30 missing seconds seem to be one bit pre drum solo, and another missing piece post drum solo, but as it is unreleased elsewhere, i think it should be ok to "release" here.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Master Room is indeed a London-based audio production company. It is not a 'proper' recording studio; it is more like Chop 'Em Out. It specializes in sound postproduction (editing, mastering, etc). Given that Trident had cutting facilities, my guess is that QUEEN/Trident commissioned a radio friendly edit of the Keep Yourself Alive re-take from Master Room, perhaps considering it for a single release. This acetate might be one of the tests sent back from the company to them. It is common to include also the un-edited version in such tests, for comparison. Or maybe Master Room mastered the track aswell (prior to editing), so they needed the reference.

Anyway, it would be interesting to compare VERY closely the "long version" of your acetate with the Hollywood Records digitally remastered "long lost re-take" or "long lost original version" (as labeled on the KYA HR promo CD5).

While I can figure out why QUEEN did not use this version in the single (it has an even slower opening), I wonder why they did not use it in the album. ...And if it was meant for it or not. The apparent contradiction between both HR names (I mean: "re-take" but "original"???) could be solved if we think of it as "original for the album". Of course this is all highly speculative.

By the way, I think that this version should have worked very well as an opener for the album, bearing its peculiar 'noisy' intro - still better if a 'reversed' counterpart is added at the end of the last track, Seven Seas Of Rhye...

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilkie: are you able to provide a short mp3 of the reversed bit as you suggest - please? it would make it easier for me to fully understnd what you are saying!

(i have no imagination - sorry!)

I also think this acetate was chopped-out as a "demo disc" which could be hawked around the more professional studios - while Queen were trying to obtain a professional contract.

Again this points to c1972(ish)

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 05, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John: Your wish is my command! ;-) I have edited my previous post. By the way, it was not lack of everybody's imagination but a honest mistake by me: I originally posted that text with two different approaches in mind and left it with half an idea, half nonsense. (In fact one of the ideas was not even a creative one, as it seems very likely that I have already heard some sort of "long-lost re-take" of Seven Seas Of Rhye... - a fan mix made by Bart Lammey a long time ago!)

Now back to Keep Yourself Alive...

Being this really a "re-take" (which is supposedly confirmed by the Brian May quote on the sleeve notes of the QUEEN HR reissue), it should be placed after the original QUEEN album sessions which ended in November 1972. The problem is to set an upper limit. July 6th 1973 is the UK release date of the Keep Yourself Alive single, being the album issued one week later. But on February 5th QUEEN recorded their first session for the BBC, and the regular version was used as a reference, not the re-take (please note that the latter has a slightly faster tempo - besides of course all the different licks and stuff). Has it not been recorded yet? Or was it discarded already? The second BBC session was recorded on July 25th and the re-take was (again?) completely overlooked. Was it forgotten? Or just not recorded yet? Could it be possible that it was devised later, for a re-release of the song perhaps?