Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie or Fred Mandel on Living on my own?

forum rss feed
Author

Henry V user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm curious who performed the piano solo on this track.

You done too much much too young

You're married with a kid when you could be having fun with me

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Always thought it was Spike "the Fred" Edney!?

... of course it was our beloved and missed Fred... Bulsara aka Freddie "the Spike" Mercury! :-)))

Quotation realy sucks nowadays!!!! Richard to the RESCUE... what has happend?

amp amp amp, quot, quot,... cry, cry cry... quot, amp, quot, amp, quot, amp, endquotamp! :-)))))

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clearly it's Mandel.

Fred couldn't play like that in a million years.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

Clearly it's Mandel.

Fred couldn't play like that in a million years.

Sorry, but even Freddies cats could do better (play) on the piano than Fred Mandel... :-)))

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bohemian777 wrote:

Always thought it was Spike "the Fred" Edney!?

... of course it was our beloved and missed Fred... Bulsara aka Freddie "the Spike" Mercury! :-)))

Quotation realy sucks nowadays!!!! Richard to the RESCUE... what has happend?

amp amp amp, quot, quot,... cry, cry cry... quot, amp, quot, amp, quot, amp, endquotamp! :-)))))

WHOA. Could someone PLEASE fix the punctuation on this stankin' board?

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
marcio17@queenzone.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well my fellows, if you have noticed freddie´s solo in my fairy king, you would know that freddie had played that solo in living on my own, you know, after 11 years of more practica im sure it was peqace of cake,just look seven seas of rhye in the magic tour. any questions?

fred mandel was justa keyboard guy

Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry, but that is bollocks and Bohardy is spot on.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry marcio, but as my esteemed friend Ian says, you're talking big, hairy, sweaty bollocks.

If you knew anything about playing the piano and music theory, you'd know how ridiculous your comment sounds.

If anyone was "just a keyboard guy" (out of Mandel and Mercury, and meant in a pejorative sense) it was Mercury (obviously temporarily disregarding his vocal and songwriting prowess). Mandel is a session-musician type, which by default means he has a mastery of his instrument.

I could teach you to play the riff to Seven Seas Of Rhye in about 5 minutes, and after half-an-hour of practice you'd be able to play it to a standard about 80% of Freddie's. If you practiced/played piano for 4 hours a day every single day for a year you probably wouldn't even be able to play the LOMO solo half as well as Mandel.

Mercury basically wrote songs and accompanied himself on the piano. There's a big difference.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
marcio17@queenzone.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 05, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, i dont know what bullocks mean, jeje, so freddie´s worst piano player than fred?

Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 05, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

marcio17@queenzone.com wrote:

well, i dont know what bullocks mean, jeje, so freddie´s worst piano player than fred?

Freddie is by no means as good a piano player as Fred. Freddie adored Mandell's piano playing.

Feed the Phoenix :)
~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Old topic...sorry...was looking for the answer to this question. I.e. was it Fred or Freddie who played it, lol.

Bohardy is clearly correct about Freddie's technical abilities compared to Mandel's, a session musician. Nonetheless, and this is a point which has been brought up countless times (maybe looking through slightly partial Queen-fan eyes, but anyway) but I still like Freddie's style of playing: simple, affected, unusual, powerful. Made up for what would have been obvious technical shortcomings. He made pieces sound grand. So while Fred Mandel could, for example, do a classy accompaniment to CLTCL, with the all sorts of obscure jazzy chords thrown into the mix, I still prefer many elements of Freddie's (often more-simplistic) style. Playing Bo Rhap is far easier than that solo in LOMO, but that piano track has been immortalised (and I love it to death) whereas LOMO is little known these days. Between Mandel and other of Queen's session musicians I prefer Edney's piano-style, clearly he has good technical ability: how did he compare to Mandel in that department?

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spike wasn't a first-class pianist imo (as compared with Fred Mandel for instance) but he got enough ability for the stuff the band needed for their shows (Break Free intro and such don't require virtuosos) and perhaps he'd got better chemistry with them.

With some few exceptions, Queen's music was never too demanding for piano-players.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say I think this thread maybe driven by ignorance because I would assume they're talkinga bout the remix to Living on my own. Which obviously isn't played by Freddie. The piano solo thingie in the album version isn't nearly as grand or complicated and while Fred Mandel may have done the solo, it's not so amazing to think that freddie couldn't have done something close. Even though I haven't officially checked it out (shoulkd be easy to find out though) I would assume it was the dude in the pink at Live at the Bowl playing the piano because it sounds more like his style than Freddie's.

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury may have been technically able to play that part, but he would never have chosen to do so - it isn't his style of piano playing.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks wrote:

Mercury may have been technically able to play that part, but he would never have chosen to do so - it isn't his style of piano playing.

Absolutely not. Freddie wasn't a pianist like Mandel was. Freddie was a songwriter and entertainer who could play piano.

Bohardy is right on the money.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're disagreeing with me, but agreeing with Bohardy???

I think you should re-read what I wrote...

~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Sebastian who says that Spike wasn't a firt-class pianist, as was Mandel. In fact I've been confusing my pianists, lol sorry, it's Morgan Fisher who I do not like! I've been re-listening to some Mandel stuff and I must say his relative "virtuosity" is apparent when compared to, let's say Spike Edney. And indeed I do like Mandel; it's in the case of Fisher that I prefer Edney. Nonetheless, for all his lack of technical ability or virtuosity I still think Freddie's sense of drama and blend of charisma/eclecticism (and genius?) certainly makes his piano playing worth listening to. Something really special. Whereas wit Mandel, I feel that I'm just listening to another virtuoso pianist at work.

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 06, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks wrote:

You're disagreeing with me, but agreeing with Bohardy???

I think you should re-read what I wrote...

I do disagree with you! Freddie was not an A+ pianist who could play songs like Living On My Own. His technique and general knowledge of the piano's capabilities were pretty basic in comparison to guys like Fred Mandel, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, or whoever else is very widely-known as an accomplished keyboardist. Freddie was a decent player, but nothing like the guys mentioned above.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freddie actually under-estimated himself-in my view he was a very good player- not classically trained or anyhting but I'd rather have Freddie's reliability than the jazzy inter-song tinkling of Mike Garson- one of the many things that makes David Live an appalling live album.

Did Fred Mandel play in Japan in '82, because who ever it was was amazing on Crazy Little Thing from disc 2 of On Fire- Spike was good at Wembley but this chap was a virtuoso- it added so much to the rendition.

hj
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, that was Fred Mandel on CLTCL. I often wonder why he wasn't asked to do The Works Tour with them, considering he had played synths on half of the songs on the album or so...